Profile for Spong > Reviews

Content by Spong

Spong

The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 15.28

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring., 18 April 2014
I love the Elder scrolls games right back to Daggerfall. I'm in to my MMO's and I was looking forward to this but I have to say ESO is just a rather tedious game with no immersion into roles, characters or plot. This is a bland game and being an MMO brings no additional fun or interest either. A real shame this could have been a winner. (Unlike others game played perfectly for me up to level 15 so far).

Motorola MBP16 Digital Audio Monitor with LCD Display
Motorola MBP16 Digital Audio Monitor with LCD Display
Price: 38.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality., 14 Jun 2013
Good build quality and wifi reception top rate. Doesn't have as many functions as some others but very good value for money.

Sunlover Patterned Thermal Blackout Roller Blinds, Vintage Floral, 120cm Total width
Offered by Homestore International
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice., 14 Jun 2013
Good quality blind and colours nice and bright (which daughter loves). Instructions and construction both top rate. Central bar strong unlike some others I have previously put up!

CANON 6226B008AA PIXMA MG6350 (A4) Colour Inkjet All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan) 8.8cm TFT 15.0 ipm (Mono) 10 ipm (Colour) Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SOHO all in one., 14 Jun 2013
After several years of HP all in ones I was taken back by my first Canon printer. Excellent quality print for both black/white documents and colour documents. The bundled software is a bit more complex that HP's but this is down to the fact it does so much more. Scanning and photo prints also good.

Breville VKJ386 Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle
Breville VKJ386 Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 14 Jun 2013
Despite cheap price, surprisingly good quality and after a few weeks working very well. (Also the blue light when boiling is a nice touch).

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Dr Michael Mosley
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, straightforward and it works for me., 31 Jan 2013
Title says it all really.

My Wife is constantly on Weightwatchers etc which I sometimes dabble with after a long lazy summer holiday etc. (Don't tell the mates). However I find these over complicated with minimal results.

I picked the Fast Diet book up at the beginning of January and after four weeks I have lost a stone. But the best thing about this book is that I would describe it as a minimal life style change rather than a diet.

Gardens of the Moon (Book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Gardens of the Moon (Book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
by Steven Erikson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars B for effort, D for attainment., 23 Dec 2012
I bought this book on a recommendation from a friend but it was a long arduous read. Did I enjoy it, sort of, in parts. Could I recommend it, No. (I will not be buying the second book).

As mentioned in the authors forward, the germination of this story came from his previous role playing and draws on his creation of the world and back story thereof. Whilst this story brims over with the authors obvious love and enthusiasm for his world the narrative and his skill as an author falls far short of his ambition.

You feel he is still enthralled with the complexity and vast background of a world he created when a juvenile role-player and has just splurged all of this out on paper to create this book without making an attempt to create characters of any depth. It appears the author is aware his characters lack depth and so he has just added more and more characters to the story. Unfortunately just having a vast array of named characters does not make an intricate plot. Whilst the story moves along briskly much of the time with battles and action sequences etc, these are so flatly written I found I could easily put the book down for a week without the need to find out what happens next. The main characters (out of at least fifty) Paran, Whiskeyjack, The adjutant etc, are so flat you just don't care what happens to them. One of the main protagonists, `Sorry' (avoiding spoilers) has virtually no motivation and no personality at all. The `God' characters again are as flat as the mortal characters.

Erikson unfortunately compares his work to that of Frank Herbert (a true master of Fantasy/SF) and whilst his ambition to write a story at this level is admirable again his skill as a writer lets him down. I personally love Fantasy and SF books and would recommend Frank Herbert, Dave Duncan or Jim Butcher' Calderon series to anyone. (Ian Banks I personally love but can be a bit dry). I can only recommend you do Not read Steven Erikson based on this book..

ROCCAT Kone+ Max Customization Gaming Mouse
ROCCAT Kone+ Max Customization Gaming Mouse
Price: 70.68

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have known.., 26 Sep 2012
What can I say, I read the reviews but still bought the Kone+ in June.

I have been very happy with this mouse up until yesterday, robust and well proportioned (for my huge hands) and I liked the layout of the additional buttons. However three months later and the tracking has completely packed up.

Be warned.