Profile for MW > Reviews

My Kitchen Table: 100 Foolproof Suppers
My Kitchen Table: 100 Foolproof Suppers
by Gizzi Erskine

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed!, 12 May 2012
I adore Gizzi Erskine. Seriously. Love her food, love her. Because of this I already have and love her Kitchen Magic book, and was disappointed to see that of the 100 recipes contained in this book, many were exact reprints of the ones in that book! Effectively I've duplicated that book (minus a lot of the helpful 'how to cook' tips) in THIS book. So that's why I'm disappointed. If I didn't have Kitchen Magic, I'd give this book 4 or 5 stars, because the recipes, and the woman behind them, are top drawer. I hate having to give this such a mediocre star rating.

If you haven't got Gizzi's Kitchen Magic, buy this. If you have, still buy this, but be aware of the duplication. For the price it is fantastic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2012 9:41 PM BST

Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
by Debbie Stoller

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit irritating.., 26 Oct. 2010
A short review.
This book had many designs for things I would want to knit, but as someone who can't knit I bought it first and foremost to teach myself the BASICS. The BEYOND basics. Unfortunately the 'humourous' writing really distracted me and I had no idea what the woman was going on about when she explained how to cast on, despite her saying how easy and straightforward she would try and make the process. I did it spectacularly and time consumingly wrong TWICE before giving up knitting altogether. (I know, how dramatic!) I now want to learn to knit again, and have ordered Jenny Lord's 'Purls of Wisdom', which according to the online sewing/knitting community is the business. I'm glad this works for some, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who don't know how to knit, those who are easily distracted or those who are tired.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2011 5:02 PM GMT