Profile for S. McLaughlin > Reviews

Content by S. McLaughlin

S. McLaughlin "Fluff Dragon" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Kong Puppy Kong Dogs Chew Toy, Small
Kong Puppy Kong Dogs Chew Toy, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost essential, 23 Aug 2013
My puppy is a bit of a snob and is selective about what he chews. Sadly his original puppy Kongs aren't one of them, and that's a shame because I know other dogs won't stop gnawing on them. Where they really shine is when food is involved.

It takes maybe a week to work up to it (check out "Kongs for Beginners" on Youtube), but soon you can freeze their entire meal in a Kong or two. Sweet blessed peace. Once they really know how to get stuff out of it, you can stuff it with all sorts of tasty treats and freeze them in between meals. Perfect if you find just smearing something around the inside isn't lasting long enough.

I have a couple of Kongs for my puppy and am about to invest in a few more. They are worth every penny.

Kong Squeezz Dumbbell, Medium
Kong Squeezz Dumbbell, Medium
Offered by Compact Compatibles

5.0 out of 5 stars Small enough for toy breeds, 28 July 2013
I have a three month old Pomeranian puppy, and I'm forever having to rule out toys because they're too big. I was worried about the small size Dumbbell, but it's perfect, he trots around with it in his jaws looking very pleased with himself. Despite seeming reasonably tough, it's also easy to squeak! His trotting is usually accompanied by quite a din, which keeps him very happy, and it often squeaks when it hits the ground when thrown.

This has been one of my favourite active toys for him so far, and one of his favourites as well. It's a lot easier than the extra-small Kong tennis balls (which are also a nice size for him) to get out of his jealous puppy mouth, and since he can't squeak those this has been a lot more fun.

The Ethical Slut: A Roadmap for Relationship Pioneers
The Ethical Slut: A Roadmap for Relationship Pioneers
by Dossie Easton

2.0 out of 5 stars More Swinging than Poly, 4 Jan 2011
Like many, I bought this book after people recommended it as a good book for learning about polyamory. It's been sitting in my garage since that first painful read through. I learned more from website FAQs and friends than I ever did from this book.

If what you're interested in is swinging, or a poly relationship where people are regularly finding casual partners, this book may well be very useful for you, and don't let me put you off buying it if that's what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a book that will give you information and guidance on closed or more family based, or long term poly, this book is not it. You will get this book recommended to you regardless of what your situation is anyway. My girlfriend and her partners are generally in a semi-closed situation, and this book couldn't be less applicable for us.

My recommendation would be to start with Xeromag's Poly FAQ and go from there.

Drawing Down the Spirits: The Traditions and Techniques of Spirit Possession
Drawing Down the Spirits: The Traditions and Techniques of Spirit Possession
by Kenaz Filan

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., 1 Jun 2009
I ordered this book whilst looking for something on deity possession, and I got exactly what I wanted.

The book draws heavily on African rooted traditions like being ridden by lwa or Orishas as it to be expected, but it also gives a suprisingly substantial amount of information and personal accounts from Western pagan perspectives. It's full of well grounded and sensible advice, never veering into a fluffy how-to guide nor into fear mongering. The experiences of the authors and of other people are very frequent, but never too long and always relevant.

Don't buy this book if you're looking for a step-by-step to deity or spirit possession. But then, you shouldn't be buying any book if that's what you're looking for! What this book provides is a solid historical and modern grounding in traditions of possession, and advice on what to do if you or someone in your grove/coven/hearth/group starts to have possessory experiences.

Very accessible, thoroughly recommended.

Prince of Persia Revelations (PSP)
Prince of Persia Revelations (PSP)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin, 13 July 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I gave this game a good rating, because it *is* good. The graphics have carried over well, the combat system is amazing.

But do not be fooled by the changed title if you own a PS2. I bought this thinking it was a different game, and it isn't. This is essentially a Warrior Within port. I gave it a good try hoping I was mistaken, but after the first few puzzles it became pretty clear. I ended up returning it for another game.