Profile for bardic media > Reviews

Content by bardic media

bardic media "bardic_media" (Dorset, UK)

Argan Oil Hair Treatment With Moroccan Oil 100ml
Argan Oil Hair Treatment With Moroccan Oil 100ml
Offered by ANGEL ENTERPRISES-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 29 May 2014
After a long search this is just the ticket if you have thick and difficult to manage hair. Goes a long way.

Wool Overs Men's Cashmere & Cotton Zip Cardigan Blueberry Large
Wool Overs Men's Cashmere & Cotton Zip Cardigan Blueberry Large
Offered by Wool Overs Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the summer, 29 May 2014
Comfortable, light and easily on and offable. A largish large, but strangely tight at the neck when zipped right up. Two words (Amazon health and safety imps told me I needed two more in my review.)

Back to Creative Writing School
Back to Creative Writing School

5.0 out of 5 stars A cuff on the side of the head, 12 Dec. 2013
Bridget is giving away her secrets in this book. But then that is typical of the generosity and good humour of the author. I have a confession: I’ve been to her classes. And of course, like most writers, to those of others - sniffing around for ideas, and confederacies of writers.

So far, Bridget is unequalled, and now I live too far away to attend her classes in person, this book reminds me why. She has a knack of giving me a cuff on the side of the head and jolting my imagination out of the grooves into which it has unwittingly settled. Dabble in these exercises and you may find yourself writing about people and places far beyond your experience or subtly challenging unexamined habits in your dialogue, characterisation or plotting.

One of the book’s striking qualities is that it provides tools for writers at any stage of development and with any aspiration. Short stories, novel writing, poetry, screenplays and most genres are embraced, not in the turgid, formulaic manner of many creative writing books, but by someone who has a delight in writing, and who conveys that to her pupils and readers.

Some of the exercises in the book have reawakened me to a writerly mindfulness. How better to focus on the present than to quietly observe your surroundings, experiences and encounters, and then to go further - to mix senses and smell textures or see emotions as colours?

There are many unique ideas for exercises here that I've not encountered elsewhere, and also something that is incredibly hard to pull off - a writer who makes me feel she is talking directly to me. Bridget coaches without hubris, but with the gentle confidence that comes from being an outstanding teacher and writer.

I look forward to having the book in a hardcopy format. The exercises invite the reader to dive in and try the water, and I’d like to be able to do that without muddling my way through arcane ebook necromancy.

I was recently a prizewinner at the Bridport Story Slam. The story came from one of the exercises in this book...

Ged Duncan

Weymouth Dawn
Weymouth Dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars well crafted poetry, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Weymouth Dawn (Kindle Edition)
Weymouth is filled with startling metaphor and combines a deft use of form with a breadth of vision. Not only is it a finely drawn poetry of place, it's also a setting for honesty, humour and incisive observation