Profile for Richard S. Sharp > Reviews

Content by Richard S. Sharp

Richard S. Sharp "Richard S" (Hampshire, UK)

Heavy Metal Sanctuary
Heavy Metal Sanctuary
Offered by collectorsheaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanctuary from poor imitations!, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Heavy Metal Sanctuary (Audio CD)
Yup. This is what it's all about. PROPER Heavy Metal, not some strange modern, overly fast, dark, aggressive or angry aberration of the original genre, but the real thing. Back in the 80's the genre was more fully defined and its finest exponents delighted us with music that for sure, was loud, proud and powerful with grinding riffs, thunderous bass and drums and howling guitar solos. But then there was something else. It was cool, it had a certain swagger, and there was a sense of fun, and it all got your foot tapping, your head nodding (banging), and prompted a quick strum on the air guitar. Like the fabulous band Accept on their recent releases, Battleaxe have recaptured all of that in this momentous album and it is absolutely flippin' marvellous. A modern take on an old, tried, tested and much loved formula with the polish and precision that comes from modern recording, engineering and mixing and a mature, tight band who know how it needs to be. Very well done Battleaxe, this album is a real gem and it got my foot tapping and my (just turned) 50 year old head nodding again. It really is a 'Heavy Metal Sanctuary' to keep us fans safe from poor imitations. Please do another album soon. Cheers!

Last Of A Dyin' Breed
Last Of A Dyin' Breed

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope it isn't 'Last of a Dynin' Breed' !!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Last Of A Dyin' Breed (Audio CD)
Oh, what a fabulous album this is. Picking up and improving further on where they left off with `God & Guns', here is the modern, more weighty, and well produced Skynyrd with a truly immaculate set of songs with great tunes and some chunky riffs that certainly put a huge smile on my face. I'm playing it to death. Absolute stand-out smash hits for me are `Mississippi Blood' and `Nothing Comes Easy'. I've learnt the words already and anyone who has the misfortune to see me driving by will see/hear me bellowing out the lyrics whilst trying to suppress the biggest grin it is possible to have. This is truly great music that is simple, uncomplicated, follows a great formula and hugely entertaining... and isn't that what it's all about? Buy the album, rent a pick-up truck with a huge V8, put on your sunglasses, slide Last of a Dyin' Breed into the CD player, hit the open road on a sunny day, and imagine you're cruising across Alabama and Mississippi on your way back to your rocking chair on the porch :-) It just doesn't get any better. This album would come to a desert island with me, period. Can we have another one like this soon please Lynyrd Skynyrd?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 2:50 PM BST

COUP DE GRACE
COUP DE GRACE

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Cracker, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: COUP DE GRACE (Audio CD)
Keeping it brief as little to add to previous reviewers comments, this is a wonderful set of tracks, superbly produced, engineered and recorded and about as close to perfection as you'll ever get for a melodic hard rock album...in fact hey....it really is perfect in my view. Thanks and well done to TREAT, a truly awesome achievement. More of the same on the next album please!!

Karma
Karma

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 5 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
A truly fantstic album...in fact the best yet from Winger in my humble opinion. Enough said......

Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it a grower?, 14 May 2008
As with some of the previous reviewers, I find myself challenging the suggestion that ths is a return to form for The Leps. Unlike many other reviewers and fans, I am not focused on Hysteria as the pinnacle of Lepppard's achievements...for me Pyromania is THE album and for me, one of the top 10 greatest hard rock albums of all time. I really wanted a Pyromania Volume 2, but we've ended up with something that I want to like but can't quite get there after about 4 listens. I hope its a grower!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2008 11:41 AM BST