Profile for Mike Thornbury > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Martian
The Martian
by Andy Weir

4.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised at how much I like this. Weir has a great way with words, 29 April 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Paperback)
I was surprised at how much I like this.

Weir has a great way with words, pulling you into the world of a stranded astronaut despite the technical jargon..

Jennie (Essential Modern Classics)
Jennie (Essential Modern Classics)
by Paul Gallico

5.0 out of 5 stars If in doubt, wash!, 10 Feb. 2015
If you love cats, you will love Jennie.

This book has been a perennial favourite in our family, so I was surprised when my daughter mentioned that she hadn't read it.

Like an Amazon Ninja (mixing my geographic metaphors) I ordered it to be delivered tout suite, and the very next day!

She has a cold and is enjoying snuggling up with a cup of tea and her new cat book, as should you!

LuguLake Ceramic Electric Kettle (Green, 1200ML)
LuguLake Ceramic Electric Kettle (Green, 1200ML)
Offered by LuguLake Direct Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and functional., 10 Feb. 2015
Great little kettle. Quiet, fast, pretty, pours well. You aren't going to be making the tea for the office - it's only 1.2L, but it does have a safety lock (can't turn on with the lid off) and the handle always stays cool.

Nicest kettle we have had.

August DTA300B - Freeview TV Aerial with LTE Filter - Amplified Flat Indoor Digital Aerial for USB TV Tuner / DVB-T Television / DAB Radio - Black
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not that great. Put it outside the window and it works ..., 2 Nov. 2014
Not that great. Put it outside the window and it works great. Inside the same window, not so much.

Not worth the money.

Olives Et Al Anchovy Fillets 365 g (Pack of 3)
Olives Et Al Anchovy Fillets 365 g (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great - first class anchovy fillets in oil, 25 Sept. 2013
Living in the wilds of SE Asia we are bereft of decent Mediterranean fare, so buying mail-order is really the only valid way.

And these were everything I expected - firm, flexible, even-shaped and big!

Definitely buy again.

El Avion Pimenton Dulce Ahumado - Smoked Mild Paprika 75 g (Pack of 5)
El Avion Pimenton Dulce Ahumado - Smoked Mild Paprika 75 g (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully sweet and smoky, 25 Sept. 2013
Easily as good as La Chinata - at a fraction of the price. Sweet and rich, no frittata would be complete without it!

You won't be disappointed.

El Avion Pimenton Picante Ahumado - Smoked Hot Paprika 75 g (Pack of 5)
El Avion Pimenton Picante Ahumado - Smoked Hot Paprika 75 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting my Spanish on!, 25 Sept. 2013
Where would you be in Spanish cooking without smoked paprika - and this one is very, very good.

Don't ever buy those awful, dry, old, tasteless glass jars in the supermarket (Yes, Masterfoods, Schwarz and Rajah - this means you!) get the real thing!

Definitely as good as La Chinata and much cheaper.

OLD INDIA Green Peppercorns - Grade A Premium Quality [Misc.]
OLD INDIA Green Peppercorns - Grade A Premium Quality [Misc.]
Offered by Indiabazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 25 Sept. 2013
Living in Asia you would think that spices are on every corner - but no, not in the case of things like yellow mustard seeds, green peppercorns and such.

These were just great - soaked in a brine/vinegar mix they plumped right up and were delicious with my steak!

Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children Book 1)
Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Socio-fi with some great new tech., 28 Feb. 2012
It has been ages since I last read an Alistair Reynolds novel and I must say I was waiting with bated breath for his latest massive tome.

I didn't get it.

What I did get was a very well crafted novel with great characters, a thrilling plot, a bunch of new technology and some clever future history.

I liked it.

As a vehicle for future Poseidon's Children novels, it set the tone extremely well, introduced some major characters, laid the groundwork and left me wanting more.

One thing I have always liked about AR as opposed to say, Richard Morgan, is the depth of his characters. He communicates them so well, that even when you are jumping from location to location, person to person, I never find myself getting confused as to who is actually speaking. His characters are extremely human, sometimes venal, often doubting, capable of mistakes and his main characters have foibles that make mine pale by comparison. And I like that in a protagonist.

Sure, there were some predictable parts of the plot, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - I like to know that things are afoot!

All in all, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to being re-acquainted in future volumes.

The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1)
by Anthony Horowitz

1.0 out of 5 stars £10 for the Kindle version? No thanks, 27 Jan. 2012
I would like to read this book, I really would, but when the Kindle version is being sold for nearly twice the price of a physical copy, I have to say, thanks, but no thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 6:25 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2