Profile for steve sheardown > Reviews

Andrew James Black Premium Sous Vide Water Bath Oven With Slow Cooker Function
Andrew James Black Premium Sous Vide Water Bath Oven With Slow Cooker Function
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 139.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry level device with some limitations, 4 Jan 2014
I bought this for Christmas having spent a lot of time reading about sous vide cooking and I was eager to try it but didn't want to splash out too much; this machine seemed to represent good value in a small package. There were no reviews of this actual model and no information on the Andrew James website (I emailed them for more details but got no reply so that was a bit shabby), however it is looks identical to the Giles and Posner machine re-badged and was selling at a bargain price so I decided to have a go.

Delivery was very speedy and the machine came well packaged. It is easy to set up and the control panel is reasonably obvious although as a reviewer of the G&P machine pointed out there is no option for timing beyond 24h which is irritating. It can be got around though, just don't press the start button once you've got the bath to temperature and the timer won't count down although you do have to put up with a flashing red light for the duration.

Bath capacity is good enough for a family meal, it's an attractively finished machine and the footprint is small enough for my kitchen counter so as a practical addition to the armoury I'm very happy with it. The slow cooker function is a good option to have although it's a bit larger than most so I probably won't use it for that very often. Would be good for a hearty winter casserole though.

Like the G&P machine, temperature control is in 1 degree increments. I don't see that as a problem; maintaining water bath temperature with greater precision than this is not really feasible at this price point and largely unnecessary. Temperature holding is very good with little movement, however my bath is between 1.5 and 2 degrees hotter than set as measured with a lab grade thermocouple so I'd advise anyone buying this to invest in a temperature probe and compensate accordingly. I haven't tested accuracy across a range yet so I don't know if the calibration error is consistent. Anyway as long as you measure the temperature independently the results are excellent; so far I've tried belly pork and salmon and both were outstanding.

In summary I'd recommend this as an entry level machine, it's good value as long as you are not bothered by the minor niggles.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2014 11:54 AM GMT

TOMATO - PURPLE RUSSIAN PLUM - 75 FINEST SEEDS
TOMATO - PURPLE RUSSIAN PLUM - 75 FINEST SEEDS
Offered by Juxi Tech
Price: 0.92

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best tomatoes I have ever grown, 19 Oct 2013
I like to try a new variety every year and these caught my eye. Very pleased that they did too, they germinated very well and produced strong plants quickly even though the spring was so cold this year. In the poly tunnel they set fruit very rapidly and have been producing good quantities of perfect tomatoes from August to October with no problems at all. The tomatoes themselves are exceptional, really sweet and store well. I'll be growing these regularly from now on alongside several other heirloom varieties. I don't know how the would perform in the open but under glass or polythene they are superb.

Tetris Alarm Clock with Falling Tetriminos
Tetris Alarm Clock with Falling Tetriminos
Offered by Premier Life Store
Price: 12.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, fun alarm clock - large display, simple operation, does what it is supposed to do, 10 Jun 2013
I bought this for my 7-year old who was going through a Tetris phase at the time and also wanted an alarm clock. I didn't expect much really, just some flimsy gimmick, but actually this is great. It's trivial to set and importantly obvious how to switch off; my little boy learned it within a couple of tries, so we're very happy with it. Watching the time change can be a bit addictive. Delivery was quick too.