Profile for P. Hollingworth > Reviews

Content by P. Hollingworth

P. Hollingworth (Manchester, UK)

3D Pool
3D Pool

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: 3D Pool (App)
Plain and simply, it is broken. It does NOT work on latest Fire TV. Will be requesting full refund

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Inaccurate, 14 Jan. 2015
I was disappointed in the version that I picked up. As somebody interested in physics and cosmology, much of the information found in this book is just out of date and at worst, wrong.

I've seen this heavily recommended by others so was a bit let down with it. Would definitely suggest you check out the introduction first to see if it has been updated if Amazon lets you

One Land, One Faith, One Queen: The Europa Universalis IV Narrative Strategy Guide

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 14 Jan. 2015
I bought this book looking for an introductory guide to EU4 and I can't say that I used it religiously in that manner. I find that internet forums and streamers are easier from me to learn from but this could be my learning style..

With that said, I picked up a lot of the basics that others just don't remember to cover - how combat actually works, how trade actually works, the importance of manpower and others. If you're just picking up the game and have a train journey to work or something then this really is an essential purchase.

The structure of the book was strange to me as it uses a story about royalty in Spain as a way of explaining game mechanics. This worked much more than I thought it would in the first few pages though let's just say that the dialogue was a bit "clunky" at times.

Overall I was impressed with it as a purchase for a new player to a game which is often extremely deep. EU4 as a game updates itself and changes mechanics so regularly that it would be worth checking if this covers some stuff from the latest version/expansion before purchase.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Got what I paid for, no real complaints, 14 Jan. 2015
Pretty much does what it says on the tin. Two small issues though:

Very rarely, it gets overloaded to the point where you have to do a power cycle (flick the plug on and off) to reconnect. Literally puts you back on within a second and it IS a rare occurrence.

This might just be me here, but I am on a metered electric meter that tracks my usage and these added a little bit more to my electric bill than I expected. Nothing major, maybe a couple of pounds per month but it was something that I didn't think about before purchase.

Outside of those very small complaints the product "just works". I have one plugged in downstairs next to my router and one plugged in upstairs in the back office and have a great connection. Wonderful if you have a bit of distance between your wireless router and computer

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (Developer's Library)
Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (Developer's Library)
by Bjarne Stroustrup

5.0 out of 5 stars The seminal book on C++, 15 May 2009
I am a final year Software Engineering student, and our curriculum covers only Java and PHP so I was excited to really get my teeth in to the newest book. Although I consider myself an advanced beginner at programming, my C++ knowledge was lacking in many departments (I didn't actually understand how many different facets of the language I misunderstood until I started working through the book). I have always taken other programmers advice and bought (and used) as many books as I could to get a firm grounding in a language, though "P3" surprised me somewhat. I was expecting a reference book akin to the C++ Programming Language book, with maybe a few design patterns thrown in to cover the programming aspects the book advertised.

I was delighted to discover that the latest book combines the technicality of Knuth's "Art of" books, with the 'in the trench' advice of McConnell's Code Complete series. The layout of the tutorials such as the "Try This", "Drill" and "Review" sections have really provided a well rounded knowledge of a subject; not enough to presume complete knowledge, but enough to understand the concepts that will encourage further independent study. The "Exercise" sections were particularly rewarding, and I have used up many a braincell trying to solve them in some cases.

This book is perfect as an introductory programming book, and also as a book that will teach advanced programmers new tricks. With a language as large (and sometimes as obtuse) as C++, this book presents a clear learning path towards a full comprehension of programming principles. C++ is used as a tool here to present readers with the knowledge needed to understand concepts present in all languages. That said, if you want to learn C++ this is the book to buy.