Profile for D. Dawson > Reviews

D. Dawson "daniel" (UK)

MSI NVIDIA GT640 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card
MSI NVIDIA GT640 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 8 Mar 2013
Great Purchase. Quiet and low power requirements! Easy to install and compatible with my PC's motherboard. Replaced my generations old graphics card with something of similar capabilities but smaller and more efficient!!

NEW! PCI Express 4 Pin To 6 Pin Power Adapter
NEW! PCI Express 4 Pin To 6 Pin Power Adapter
Offered by PlusKom®

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Product, 10 Jun 2011
This product fits a graphics card with a six pin PCI-e power requirement to your power supply (6 pin adaptor to graphics/4 pin molex connection to power supply). Make sure that your power supply is compatible although most PSU's will work with this adaptor.

Although initially a tight fit, since connection there have been no problems whatsoever!

For powerful graphics cards with six pin power requirements (or even those with 2 X 6 pin - buy 2) I could not recommend anything better at this price!!!

WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD)
WRC - FIA World Rally Championship (PC DVD)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!!!, 20 Nov 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I had extremely high expectations of this game having enjoyed Black Bean's previous creations "Superstars V8 Racing" and "Superstars V8 Racing - Next Challenge" touring cars racers.

In summary, this game does just enough to justify my belief that this developer knows about racing games and can deliver in every genre.

To me the "proof in the pudding" of how good a game is that which remains in the DVD-Rom tray longest and I have continuously put this game back in to have another try and don't regret it.

I am sure enough reviews have indicated what is involved in this title, e.g:

All supported WRC categories with numerous stages throughout the world,
Different activities within the game such as "Road to the WRC",
Time trials for individual tracks and the ability to customize ones own championship,
Undertaking a WRC season (or any of the supporting categories),
Various online modes also which I haven't tried because I am still involved in the main career mode.

Although I haven't yet completed this game I feel that I have progressed enough through the career mode to be able to make a worthwhile review of my experience up to now.

In my opinion, the purchase of this game is a no-brainer. Anybody that loves racing games will get something from this!

Positive points are:

1) Cars look good and handle realistically once the player gets used to the handling. At the early stages in career mode the player could get frustrated but when they move onto more powerful cars the cars handle better and the game feels faster. It might be my imagination but the game graphics also seem to improve with game progress.

2) The stages are fun and just the right length. There is no replay mode and thus the player will be redoing all stages to ensure that they complete the event and therefore unlock more features. This can be frustrating but in the long term ensures that the player learns each stage which makes subsequent revisits with different vehicles easier.

3) There are stages for all surfaces and the immersion is great once the player is used to the handling: Snow, deserts, gravel, mud, wet rain and leaves plus cobblestones are included!!

4) I am just scratching the surface, but the user can adjust the car to improve its performance on different parts of the stage, e.g. adjust brake bias to make the car handling tighter etc. Also due to the fact that Black Bean attests to "real racing", the handling can be made to approach a real rally simulation where the player can play in cockpit view. I have tried this briefly but find it easier to progress through the game in "outside car" view so that I can see the whole track. I am sure that once I have mastered this game, playing in cockpit mode will become a formality as it makes the game come to life - but you need to be able to know where you are going because one mistake can cost you in this game!!

In summary:

This game gets the job done, the player can get out there and race wherever they want, in stages that feel like real rally. There are challenges aplenty in trying to shave off seconds per stage and to progress though the game until the player is eventually recognized by a top WRC team with a manufacturer- backed ride. As I have said, once the player gets to this level, everything makes sense and somehow the graphics seem much improved.

Negative points.

I have only included these to give some indication of how the game could be improved and in my opinion, this game is one of the best racing experiences out there. Anyone who loves racing games of any genre will put the work into this game to get out of it what it so capable of delivering - immediate rally thrills. Purchase is highly recommended because there are few titles like this!

Note: This is not a Dirt or Dirt 2 game and is much more a staple "what you see is what you get" with no frills.

Unfortunately the weight of what this game tries to achieve wears down heavily on the graphics to the extent that they do the job and no more. There are some very visually appealing stages, but these are balanced by stages that are realistic but don't try to flatter the proceedings as Codemasters would do in their Dirt and Dirt 2 titles. However, to counter this fact, at no point in this game are you ever under the impression that you are not driving a rally car and the evidence of this is probably due to the fact that all eyes are on the car and not the surrounding scenery.

Due to the fact that this title supports all of the rally categories, the player needs to grind in the lower categories before actually driving the actual WRC cars as piloted by Loeb and other masters. It seems that Black Bean had to compromise their efforts to deal with all of this rather than creating a stupendous game that would have been top of the tree for the "actual pro-team" WRC championship cars.

In this generation of games, it seems that only Codemasters' Dirt series are a rival and although they are visually more appealing, in my opinion haven't addressed rallying as successfully as this title. You genuinely do remember different tricks learned on each stage which when coming back to the game, you will be impressed that you drive that stage that much better!

Please note: this review relates to the PC version of the game and I have a mid to high end PC with a very good graphics card.

I have heard some comments on long loading times and can only say that this doesn't afflict my experience of the game. There is absolutely no slowdown in this game, and the pace is like a dream!

Note: Use of the handbrake is strongly recommended!

Colin McRae: DiRT (PC DVD)
Colin McRae: DiRT (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Colin McRae Dirt PC Game, 10 Sep 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Probably bought this in the wrong order having acquired Dirt 2 first but I want to summarise the reason for this purchase.

Having already sampled Codemasters' excellent Dirt 2, I wanted to enjoy more racing and realised that there was another PC game that I could get my hands onto.

Firstly, Dirt 2 is so widely acknowledged as a masterpiece that any driving game would have a lot to live up to. I would also like to add, that it would not be a fair comparison because I have loaded this game onto my Pentium 4 machine to give that machine extra life and therefore am not comparing "like" for "like" on a new PC.

Given this fact, I must say that Dirt lives up to any expectations I had and runs very well on my well specified but last generation PC with a decent AGP graphics card. It seems that the handling model is very similar to that of Dirt 2 although I have read reviews where it has been reported that the vehicles stop very quickly. This does not seem to be a major hindrance on this game because once you get used to it you can replicate the same driving experience as you can on Dirt 2.

I only purchased this game recently, but am immediately enjoying the increased emphasis on rally racing. It seems that Codemasters put a lot of effort into this aspect of the game and the scenery is stunningly designed. In fact I would say the stages are very realistic, make you feel part of a rally and are longer than in Dirt 2. There are some great vehicles such as the Lancia Stratos and Fiat Abarth, amongst more modern machines.

There are further game modes such as Buggy and Raid and also some Truck racing (which is very nicely done) and other modes. Therefore, given that the game has put equal energy into all of these areas there is plenty of fun to be had.

To summarise, then:
This game is excellent if you have a fast Pentium 4 machine or even a low/medium current generation machine with a newish graphics card.
If you already have Dirt 2 you will love this game. In comparison to newer racing games such as Dirt 2, from what I can surmise because I haven't yet done a full comparison, the graphics aren't quite as good and the menu design is older but once you are actually racing this doesn't matter. Also bear in mind that this game will be cheaper than the newer titles. This title obviously was a great rally racer in its time!

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - Platinum Edition (PSP)
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - Platinum Edition (PSP)
Offered by Musicland Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars PSP Game: Liberty City Stories, 7 Jun 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got this game because I wanted a 3-Dimensional Grand Theft Auto game for the Sony PSP. Due to the fact that the recent Chinatown Wars (PSP) plays from a "top-down" viewpoint, it seemed to be a retrograde step compared to Liberty City Stories, hence my purchase to see the full flavour of Grand Theft Auto on the PSP.
This game makes full use of the PSP's hardware and is excellent, both visibly and audibly. There is plenty to do in this open world of New York (side missions etc.) and as such I have not come anywhere near to completing the game yet. Highly recommended!!

MotoGP 08 (PC)
MotoGP 08 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Moto GP 08 Review, 23 April 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MotoGP 08 (PC) (Video Game)
I bought this game for a Pentium 4 PC given that reviews mentioned that this game is a simulation. The chances are that in real life I have no hope of riding a real bike so I don't know how realistic the handling is but it seems very genuine.

This game caters for all levels of bikes: 125 cc, 250 cc and 500 cc and the handling is distinct between each, with it taking time to master the bigger bikes.

There are many racing modes and challenges. The racing itself is fun and to the point and the visuals are good for my machine settings (with a reasonable graphics card).

I expect that anyone running a modern PC will find the graphics to be good and game play to be exceptional - I can't fault it except that I would like to find a controller that replicates the controls of the bikes.