Profile for Nix > Reviews

Content by Nix

Nix

Page: 1 | 2
Sketchbook Black: Archival-Quality Drawing Paper by Barnes & Noble (2006)
Sketchbook Black: Archival-Quality Drawing Paper by Barnes & Noble (2006)
by Barnes & Noble

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst sketchbooks going., 23 Nov. 2014
This is the worst sketchbook I've used. You're better off with printer paper, and the original price was about £6, not the £130 second hand sellers want for it.

Use anything but this! The pages bleed ink like crazy, you can even see biro through the paper! It won't take any water at all, despite stating it could handle light washes of watercolour. This was a graphite only book.

I've had to use gesso in mine (and the others of this same book I got, more fool me) to make it into a mixed media art journal. That's because the paper can't even handle ink.

Berol Oil Pastels - Assorted Colours (Pack of 24)
Berol Oil Pastels - Assorted Colours (Pack of 24)

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible, 6 Aug. 2014
Absolutely awful. These are hard, crumbly, unblendable monstrosities. Berol should be ashamed of themselves to sell these as oil pastels - they're far closer to wax crayons, truth to told.

If you want to use these for art, there's no chance you'll get a good result. Use the Pentel oil pastels. They're soft and smooth, and cover really well and blend fabulously. These will only frustrate you.

Berol Jumbo Oil Pastels Black/White - Box of 12
Berol Jumbo Oil Pastels Black/White - Box of 12

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard and crumbly, and difficult to blend, 30 July 2014
These were much harder to blend than expected. They feel more like a wax crayon, and leave crumbs of colour as they're that dry. Yet i can see the whites being very handy for blending other colours in, and the price is right. The black oil pastels here would only blend properly with a paper tortillion/blending stump, so that may be something to consider.

Memory Professional Artists Oil Pastel Set, 36 Colours, Retail Packed
Memory Professional Artists Oil Pastel Set, 36 Colours, Retail Packed
Offered by ENERGY SAVING DEALS

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard and crumbly, but that might be what *you* need, 30 July 2014
These are a complete pain to use. Like another reviewer mentioned, they're more like wax crayons. You can't blend them with your fingers because they're that hard.

However, some artists like a hard oil pastel to go over the soft, buttery layers they've already put in. Particularly good for the white froth on waves, or the reflection of sunlight on water, using the white oil pastel inside.

I have to be honest, I'll probably bin mine. They crumble like made, are hard to get colour out of onto the paper, and frustrate me. I needed soft ones. Don't be put off if you wound up with these - there are other brands out there, and the texture and style vary wildly. I'd recommend Pentel's ones, or the Gallery/Mungyo sets (very affordable in the UK and easy to obtain, unlike some American brands).

Erich Krause Micro Correct Correction Fluid Pen Needle Point Precision Tip 12ml Fine [Pack of 12]

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Garbage, 25 July 2014
These correction pens scar the paper with their nozzle. As you release the correction fluid, it darkens the paper even more than your ink! Have had to throw the whole load away they're so bad. Can't even use them for art journalling as white paint pens, they really are that bad.

Please don't use these on important documents. Even Niceday's 50p correction pens are better than these.

Also, the fluid is a slightly off-white colour, so it's obvious you've made a correction. It also doesn't cover feint biro, let alone fountain pen ink or gel pen.

In summary: useless on every level.

TeckNet® Slim Desktop X600 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo with UK keyboard layout and whisper-quiet Keyboard Design - White
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars First wireless keyboard, fantastic results, 29 Jun. 2014
This has been one of the best keyboards I've used, wireless or not. It's super light, the keys are comfortable to use, and don't make my hands sore, even after a lot of typing. Having problems with my hands, I was worried the action in the keys would be too stiff, but it's really comfortable to use - far easier than my laptop's keyboard.

The colours are tasteful, it's easy to use (I hadn't used a wireless keyboard or mouse before, and I had it sorted in twenty seconds), and the connection hasn't dropped since I've had it, which is a good few months.

It's not a standard keyboard but a compact one, so check out the picture before ordering if you need a standard one. I thought I would need a standard one for touch typing, but this is fine, so I'm assuming it has standard sized keys - just the peripheral keys are arranged a bit differently.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to friends and family. Thoroughly happy with it.

Daler - Rowney Simply 24 x 12ml Watercolour Set
Daler - Rowney Simply 24 x 12ml Watercolour Set
Offered by Hotshotcraft

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good paints!, 1 Mar. 2014
Daler-Rowney's essential paints were the first I used when learning. I liked the way they handled, and return to them when I want a change from Windsor and Newton Cotman pans. My paints were a bit older and had the silver packaging on them, but they weren't Aquafine or Artist quality.

The other reviewer who had a negative experience from the maker needs to make their feelings known in a formal complaint to the firm.

I'd also question whether THEY demanded their students get new paints, or if the students indepently found these paints to be poor. And it can be a faulty batch if the paints are purchased at the same time from different shops - that's how batches work, after all.

If you're unsure, try a small sample of 6 tubes and see how you like them. Or if you're not keen, try looking for the Aquafine ones. They handle really nicely, and I'm using a set quite happily at the moment.

And I'll be clear here - there are much worse paints you can wind up with, believe me.

Artist Pencils - Assorted - 6 Charcoal 6 Watercolour 6 Graded Pencils
Artist Pencils - Assorted - 6 Charcoal 6 Watercolour 6 Graded Pencils
Offered by buyabargainuk

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than using twigs dipped in mud, 17 May 2013
I bought this same type through eBay. They are essentially a fraudulent product, as the 'watercolour' pencils are NOT water soluble. The charcoal pencils are just black regular coloured pencils, and the graded pencils come across as HB with one B or 2B shoved in for effect.

Avoid these at all costs. They aren't even worth fishing out of the bin for free, they're that bad. This set has no redeeming features: put the 1.75 towards a decent set. As someone who shops regularly at Poundland, this is a blow for 'basic' materials: they're cheap AND rubbish at the same time.

BiC Kids Evolution Circus Colouring Pencils (Pot of 60)
BiC Kids Evolution Circus Colouring Pencils (Pot of 60)

2.0 out of 5 stars Could put anyone off drawing, 17 May 2013
I bought this pot of pencils for £4.50 including postage. The RRP of £22 is obscene, and these pencils are definitely not worth it at the regular price. I'm questioning whether they are worth the reduced price at this point.

You have to press hard to get a decent shade of colour from them. They aren't wooden but made of resin, so they BEND when you apply reasonable pressure, so it's extremely hard to get a deep colour from the pencils. If you like pale, wishy-washy colours, I still would not advise you to use these: there are plenty of pencils like that out there, and for a fraction of the price. If you or your children like deep, rich colours, you're not going to find them here. I do enjoy the colours that Crayola pencils offer. Not artist grade, but capable of a good rich colour when you wish, and without feeling like you're rubbing through the paper with effort.)

I gave them two stars because the design concept is novel (swapped colours and resin bodies), and one for them making a mark on paper. Other than that, I would urge you to not bother.

The Moon and Everyday Living: Use Lunar Energies to Transform Your Life
The Moon and Everyday Living: Use Lunar Energies to Transform Your Life
by Daniel Pharr

2.0 out of 5 stars Previously published as "Moon Wise", 18 Jan. 2013
This item has been republished as 'Moon Wise' by the same author. This happened just two years after it being originally published.

The book itself is interesting, but I find Llewellyn's underhanded tactics of retitling books unpalatable. This almost caught me out, as I own the later edition of the book, and wanted to see what else the author had written.

Page: 1 | 2