Profile for Paul A. Wright > Reviews

Content by Paul A. Wright

Paul A. Wright (UK)

Half the World (Shattered Sea, Book 2)
Half the World (Shattered Sea, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars another strong one in this series, 4 Mar. 2015
Not sure why we have the YA description for this series! As a forty something I am thoroughly enjoying this series, can't wait for the 3rd in the series. Mr Abercrombie is a terrific fantasy writer and I don't find these "YA" patronising or lacking in drama when compared to his "grim dark" novels. A little less graphic in language and sex maybe but not in story. A good book is a good book and this book is good!

Foxglove Summer (PC Peter Grant Book Book 5)
Foxglove Summer (PC Peter Grant Book Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars another cracking instalment!, 30 Nov. 2014
Really enjoy these books and devour them on their release even though I try to take it slowly to savour the pleasure!

Next one please Mr Aaronovitch

Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III
Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose takes the top spot back!, 2 Mar. 2014
I have been trialling many different speakers for a while looking for one that could fill a medium sized room with quality sound with good bass reproduction. Before the SL III was released, I was umming and arhhing between the UE Boom, Big Jambox and the SL II! I discounted the Bose mini because the UE Boom was better in terms of sound, especially bass.

I know that sound is subjective to each person but I felt that the SLIII beat the Bose mini and the others on clarity and depth (bass reproduction) at all volumes. I found the mini to be "thin" in its sound compared to this speaker. Whilst, the mini beats the SL III on looks and portability, those are only nice features to have because overall sound is king. Plus the mini is heavy!

In my view and to my ears. the SL III has beaten them all!

It Wasn't Me (The Hueys)
It Wasn't Me (The Hueys)
by Oliver Jeffers

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not up to his usual standard, 24 July 2013
We love Oliver Jefferies and have collected most of his work. My son enjoys the Boy stories and Stuck.

I purchased the Hueys in a New Jumper and we loved reading it together and it helped that my son was learning to read and could read most of the book on his own.

However, on getting this new volume we both felt it was a little light on story and text and so it felt quite thin with no depth and was over very quickly.

However, the ending is fun and made us both laugh

Apple iPhone 5 Snap on Feather Case, Screen Protector, Cloth, Black
Apple iPhone 5 Snap on Feather Case, Screen Protector, Cloth, Black
Offered by eoutlet-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 5 Oct. 2012
Case is nice and thin and very light with a nice feel in the hand.

However, that's it! It doesn't offer enough protection to the corners or top and bottom. But even worst was within a few days the matt covering had worn through to hard plastic in a number of places. As this was just from being in my pocket with nothing else.

Have sent it back for a refund

Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- Black
Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Excellent, 20 Nov. 2007
I recently upgraded my ipod phones to Shure Se210. Just fantastic, the bass is great and the sound quality is first class. I had no trouble getting the phones to fit in my ears as they come with a large number of differing earpieces. One issue is that it is hard to remove the initially fitted ear pieces.

I have owned a fair number of earphones including Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones and I must say the Shure's are the best yet.

A Storm of Swords
A Storm of Swords
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Jorden are you taking notes!, 12 Sept. 2000
This review is from: A Storm of Swords (Paperback)
This series just keeps getting better and better. I picked up the first book by chance and I'm so glad I did. I have never read such nail-biting fantasy (incl. Tolkien), the characters leave you wanting to know more about them and their motives plus you will never figure out what they will do next. I doubt anyone will now be able to predict the outcome of this series and who will end up as King or Queen. This is how the "Wheel of Time" should of been had it not lost it's way. Mr Martin is a very brave author who challenges the readers concept of "Good and Evil" and as such gives us all a fantasy classic

The Redemption of Althalus
The Redemption of Althalus
by David and Leigh Eddings

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...Haven't I read this all before., 14 July 2000
Being a great fan of Eddings I was really looking forward to this book, but ohhh, how I struggled to finish it. I must admit the basic story idea is a good one (hence why 2 stars) but does it have to be so sickly sweet in it's dialogue i.e. Be nice, boy-people like girl-people. Please, Harry Potter books aren't this patronizing and they are aimed at children. On another point Mr and Mrs Eddings, do you really think that your readers are that stupid that they need to have the plot explained to them at least once in every chapter. Overall I thought the book felt rushed and that committing to a single volume backed the authors into a corner. So I can not recommend this book and I never thought that I would have to say that about an Eddings novel. Sorry.