Profile for M. Hengst > Reviews

M. Hengst (Netherlands)

Financial Accounting and Reporting MyAccountingLab Pack
Financial Accounting and Reporting MyAccountingLab Pack
by Mr Barry Elliott

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are no accounting major, this will be impossible to read..., 30 April 2010
I am in my final year of my Bachelor's program as a business major, and have never come across such major difficulties when reading a university book. I have had an introductory Accounting course during my first year, after which one would expect to grasp the basics of accounting.

Even with a basic understanding, this book has been extremely frustrating to read. The example calculations provided are not explained properly, IF an explanation for the calculation is even provided.
Accounting-specific vocabulary is used in an inconsistent way making it extremely difficult for non-Accounting students to read.

No illustrations are provided for most bookings which are 'explained' throughout the text, as the authors must assume the readers to be accounting practitioners who have mastered bookkeeping and practiced it extensively. In general, the assumptions made by the authors about the readers' existing knowledge appears to be way off, considering that the book is targeted at second-year undergraduate students, MSc majors as well as MBA students.

For Accounting majors this book may be suitable, but for anyone else this will be frustrating to read. I have read many books throughout my study program, but have never come across such a 'student unfriendly' book.

I am highly dissatisfied with this book, as I am a student who expects to have a 'learning experience' when reading a textbook. This, however, is mere torture and takes the pleasure out of reading anything relating to Accounting.

CHINESE CHARACTERS
CHINESE CHARACTERS
by DR. ALAN HOENIG

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly suitable for non-geniuses..., 15 April 2010
This review is from: CHINESE CHARACTERS (Paperback)
I have tried many tools for memorizing Chinese characters and have always come across the problem that I have had difficulties associating seemingly random words with random symbols. I see myself as somebody who is untalented at memorizing random facts, and therefore found this book extremely helpful. The author comes up with (sometimes random) stories about the characters to make a connection in your mind of its meaning. It may not be the classic or academically correct way of studying the characters, but for people (like me) who generally tend to have difficulties memorizing things, this guide is highly recommendable.
Plus, the stories are creative, entertaining and funny and it feels like reading an excerpt of a funny story at times which makes you laugh and allows you to associate pleasure with studying the characters. Ever since I started with this, I look forward to learning new characters every day. And this comes from someone who sits over his university books all day long and can't wait to stop reading. But learning the characters in such an entertaining way, is great!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible sound, even in the blistering rain!!!, 20 July 2009
This is the first time I have bought a Bose product and as for the sound quality I am impressed. I have used two pairs of "Shure" headphones which were both more pricey and less comfortable to wear (which was mostly due to the wire which needed to be wrapped around the ear).
The way the headphones fit takes a while of getting used to, although the different sizes of the rubber ear plugs makes this easier. The whole reason I wanted to write this review, was that I went running with these headphones this morning in the blistering rain for about an hour and am more than happy with the result. At first I wanted to put them into my pocket but then I thought I wanted to see what these headphones are made of ;)
1 star deduction for the fact that the fit is still not as perfect as I expect it to be, since I have to adjust the buds in my ear constantly. However, one must consider that Bose is focused on sound and not on custom-made ear-pieces so the fit is still reasonable.