Profile for J. Hawes > Reviews

Content by J. Hawes

J. Hawes (Somerset, UK)

TECEVO SoPower Plus Solar Battery Charger Power Bank 5000mAh With Dual USB Connection For iPod, iPhone, MP3 Player, Mobile Phone, Tablet PC, PSP, Nintendo DS, TomTom GPS.. Comes complete with charging cable and 3 x plug tips
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so very good., 2 Jun 2013
I have so far only used this to any extent over one long weekend away. I charged it up fully from mains before going away, and later used it to power /charge my power hungry smartphone from. It worked a treat, the unit itself staying fully charged up from daylight too. The unit seems of pretty durable construction, yes it's weighty, but it is essentially a sizeable battery.
It appears to hold charge well so far but it's longevity at holding a charge remains to be seen.
A useful tool to have with you when other methods for charging / powering your portable gadgets are not an option.

Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap Black Medium
Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap Black Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet to be bettered, 2 Jun 2013
I'm a serious hill walker, in all conditions. This is second mountain cap I have used.
It does as it claims; keeps water out, warmth in, including your ears and down to your collar line at the back if needed.
Straight after purchase I walked on Dartmoor for 8 hours in unrelenting, near horizontal rain, with winds gusting to over 56 mph on the Tors. My head remained dry (practically nothing else did) , the peak kept the rain from driving straight into my eyes, and the cap remained comfortable throughout. When I was getting a bit warm from uphill exertions, it did a good job of wicking sweat away.
Sizing is not that generous, I have a 58.5cm head, and very definitely need a large. It has an adjuster at the rear to get fit just how you like it, and feels secure on the head in strong winds. It is well made, easy to clean (if washing use Nikwax products, and not normal detergent!) packs away easily, and dries pretty quickly.
Others in the hills with cold wet head, ears and neck , begin to look at you enviously.
Any cons, well I suppose...a choice of black or er,... black.

Sunncamp Comfy Sitting Mat Walking, Hikking, Camping.
Sunncamp Comfy Sitting Mat Walking, Hikking, Camping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product good. Postage bit steep, 2 Jun 2013
Nice thick mat (thicker than I expected, at about nearly an inch" ) Gives pretty comfort, and very good insulation out and about. Seems fairly robust.
Only drawback, though light enough, it's a bit too bulky to carry around in a mid size Bergen or day-sac if out on days walk. Ideal for camping if not carrying all your kit.
Nice product, but for my use could be better if slightly 'leaner' and more packable.
Dimensions are: 38 cm across widest part, 28.5 cm front to back, and 22 mm deep.
Postage I found a bit steep for such an item.

camelbak hydration water system tube big bite valve 3 colour pack
camelbak hydration water system tube big bite valve 3 colour pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuine product, 2 Jun 2013
Genuine product, that I have tested & found work well and replaced old worn bite-valves easily. Not cheap, but reasonable value.

Thermos Thermax 022059 Isothermal Flask with Ergonomic Handle Stainless Steel
Thermos Thermax 022059 Isothermal Flask with Ergonomic Handle Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars No what it suggests, 2 Jun 2013
I am a serious hill walker. I needed a smaller capacity flask that would keep liquids hot for a good while, & that would be robust, compact and would not add much weight to the liquid it carried.
This flask was advertised as Thermax product, that would keep contents hot or cold for lengthy periods.
When it arrived label in the packaging suggested it was not suitable for keep contents hot, and designed to carry and keep fluids contents cold.
If used for keeping contents cold it may prove to be very good. I did not test it for this purpose, but did do a test on hot water; pouring boiling water (at normal / sea level air pressure) in up to very top. This was done after doing the same to preheat it) the top was immediately closed and the flask kept indoors at daytime room temperature for six hours before being opened and the water temperature tested. The result was very disappointing; the water barely warm enough to make any sort of tea or to have a 'hot drink'. Whilst water was warmer than tepid, it was at about lower and of warm bath scale.
To sum up..do NOT buy this flask to keep liquids hot more than 2 to 3 hours, having preheated it first.
If considering buying for cold liquids, it does have a nicely designed button release opening cap, seems pretty robust, and is nice to handle; the rubbery grip around the body ensures it does not slip from your fingers.
I sent it back via Amazon with ease & no quibbles. An alternative that I have replaced it with, and I would recommend in another Thermax product: Thermos Ultimate 0.5L Graphite flask. This was a little more expensive, but I can report keeps water truly hot for at least 8 hours.

Draper Expert 89323 7-Pattern Spray GunDraper Expert 89323 7-Pattern Spray Gun
Draper Expert 89323 7-Pattern Spray GunDraper Expert 89323 7-Pattern Spray Gun
Offered by Toolville Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars So far ...so good, with a 'but'.., 22 Mar 2012
I have been using this spray gun for about a month now. It is much sturdier than the previous hoselock one (which was twice the price) on which the trigger grip broke after 2 months. Itis easy to use, with a good selection of spray patterns.
I have one concern which is that the black plastic trigger handle will fail. Only time will prove me right or wrong. It is rivetted onto a good sized lug, but the handle itself being about 2.5 mm plastic is likely to fracture around the rivet or where it draws out the brass pin plunger, as it is under a good deal of load at both these points. This should have been made of galvanized steel with rubber coat....& if it had..a full 5 stars from me.
Overall good product. Don't go buying the awful Hoselock ones.
UPDATE: June 2013 > This product is still going strong with regular use. The black plastic trigger has not failed. However, another design fault is evident. The internal plunger type rod that is operated by the trigger is made of mild steel, which has of course rusted. Corrosion of the rod; inevitable as in contact with water so much of the time and then air, has made the rod a bit 'sticky'. The item still works, but the spring inside is not enough to counter the 'stickiness' of the corroded rod, and many times I need to push the trigger in the opposite direction to turn it off. The rod is thick / solid enough not to corrode through so product fails completely.
Whilst still a good buy compared to others, a brass or stainless 'rod' would make this a top product. Draper ..are you listening?
3.5 stars now

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 3000 Three-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies)
Offered by Premier Products

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 8 Dec 2010
I had brought my son one of these products to help clean with his tooth braces, and having tried it briefly decided to but one for myself and the wife. I have been using it about one month & it has proved an excellent product. Useful features, but not too 'gimmicky.'
With the 3000 model I would say the Braun & Oral B partnership have got it right. I gives my teeth an excellent clean, and despite having been a 'very good brusher' with a conventional brush (dentists words..not mine), I can feel an improvement with this electric toothbrush. It does need regular charging, but wife & me share the power unit, so it gets used 4 times daily, and charging is easy if you have a shaver socket at / near wher you keep & use your toothbrush. It was good a value purchase on Amazon, though most retailers are offering this brush at a good deal below the RRP. Highly recommended.

Silva Sere 40 Wristlet Compass
Silva Sere 40 Wristlet Compass

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple; does was it says on the tin., 11 April 2010
Reliable, tough, fits onto watch-strap with ease, though be careful if you have a wide strap. Luminescence could be better in low light (reliant on being in strong light before hand, so needs to be exposed & not under sleeve.)
Only useful as a reliable guide, and not suitable to take accurate bearing from. Match watch strap is silicone, but there's a whole lot of steel in the watch case. The compass seems unaffected by its close proximity.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2013 1:36 PM BST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy a different one., 2 April 2010
I use a compass often. I know what I needed, and intended this as an in-car, clear to read unit that would be informative at a glance. The compass was smaller than expected (you'll note no size in the listing), and to be frank turns out to be pretty useless. It is essentially a ball suspended in a liquid. However, the compass ball snags and sticks, and when the compass is operating it is often far from accurate. I moved it to various locations in my vehicles, trying to avoid too close a proximity to the steel. Which ever direction I was travelling in it generally informed me I was going East. It maybe just the unit I received, but it has proved to be about as much use as a handbrake in a canoe.