Profile for Mr. P. Garland > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Garland

Mr. P. Garland "Beamish" (Kent, England)

Canon 50D: From Snapshots to Great Shots: Simple Steps to Great Photos
Canon 50D: From Snapshots to Great Shots: Simple Steps to Great Photos
by Jeff Revell

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that all owners 50D should have, 7 Aug. 2010
I can only add to the comments of other reviewers. If there's one thing I've learned in over 30 years as a professional photographer, its that you never know everything - by which I mean you never know everything you SHOULD know, let alone everything you could know! This book will get you well on the way to achieving at least the first of those. The best part is, it makes you want to know more the deeper you get, it helps you understand how to get the best from your camera by going straight to the things you wanted to find out and helping you to learn from your mistakes old and new. I've had as many 'Oh now I get it' moments leafing through this book in a few weeks than I have had since I first understood the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and film speed some 30 years ago - something, incidently, that this book explains well, along with other basics such as how to hold your camera (something a lot of camera owners and actors don't get right). It also delves down into levels of knowledge that are worth exploring even after all this time. Its a great shame the same quality of book is not available for the 30D, or I'd buy one for my Father-in-law. Seriously, its worth buying it anyway, if you own a 30D 40D or 50D or are thinking of getting a 50D (which is an excellent piece of kit by the way!)

Sea Of Cowards
Sea Of Cowards

5.0 out of 5 stars Continued Ear-Bending Excellence, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sea Of Cowards (Audio CD)
I bought 'Sea of Cowards' through Amazon a few days before seeing The Dead Weather at The Roundhouse in their post-Glastonbury whistle-stop tour, having loved loved loved the first album 'Horehound'. I just had time to start absorbing the tracks before the live versions blew away any notion of listening to any other band for the following 3 weeks! In Alison Mosshart, Jack White has found his Muse, a perfect foil to fence and interchange with his own lyrical genius, blending and soaring with and above the excellent Fertita/Lawrence musicianship. Here is a band unfettered by the whim of self-important producers, unaffected by their own ego or the homogenous mass of same-sounding turpitude ushered in by 'r&b' factories for the less-discerning ears of the Cowell era. They are all excellent musicians who interchange effortlessly on stage, and therefore in the studio. They just love doing what they do! Alison Mosshart's stage presence when in this guise is jaw-dropping, the near-equal of JW himself. A no-nonsence approach to 'hit hard & then hit again' track sequences seen previously on Raconteurs' albums is again applied here. Sea of Cowards was continuously on play in my car, in the home and on my Creative Zen (accept no substitute)for at least 3 weeks, and I mean continuous. I even tried to get into other albums, I just could not do it - everything else (except Horehound) seemed just luke-warm for the best part of a month. Favourite tracks? All of them have been in turn (with the possible exclusion of Old Mary - but I still recognise its genius), however the enduring favourites now are 'Hustle & Cuss', 'The Difference Between Us', 'Gasoline' (both of which show Mosshart at her very best)and 'Jawbreaker'. Oh and play it loud!

Canon EF-S 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon EF-S 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect budget zoom lens!!, 28 July 2010
I bought this lens at the beginning of July at the then price of £[] and I have to say I'd still buy it at this price. Why? because its a fantastic lens for the money! I looked into the absence of the USM (Ultra Sonic Motor)using a popular review site where the difference in noise is demonstrated on video. My verdict? USM isn't worth breaking your neck to buy, because this lens makes next to no noise and loses no measurable speed in focussing. I bought this as a back up to my existing 18-85mm USM lens when it started to vignette off-centre (something I can't afford to happen on a wedding) In fairness, that lens has had 4 years of almost daily use and is ready foir collection from the repairer. Despite the better build quality, USM and Macro facilities of that lens, to be honest I'm probably more likely to use the new 18-135 as my staple lens and the other as a spare, that's now impressed I am with it. Definitely a great buy and the results are stunning!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2011 7:37 PM BST

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinarily well-crafted film you can fall in love with, 24 April 2006
I had this bought for me as a present following a friend's recommendation and I loved it. Now, the morning after, I already want to watch it again, there were so many little touches I saw but I suspect I missed some others. This is an extraordinarily well-crafted film, thriving on its understatement, brilliant in its observation and spellbinding in its execution. Bill Murray is at once hilarious and sensitive in his role as a man seeking distance from his family whilst he considers what his life is offering him. I laughed out loud several times - at his interaction with Tokyo and its people, at the Fax machine which suddenly springs into life with diagrams of shelving his wife is having put into the study, at his restrained dialogue with the animated director of his whiskey commercial, which is literally 'Lost in Translation'. I learnt with amazement that Scarlet Johanson was only 18 when she made this film. There is a look of Kim Catrell about her, and the camera work around her is spellbinding! She has a sensuous and vulnerable face, perfectly suited to the role, but her performance at least equals that of Murray's near-genius. In one of the unused scenes with the robots, her features and her mannerisms are endearing (in the words of Lennon & McCartney, 'Something in the way she moves...')

This is a film which perhaps can be appreciated best by a late forties or fifty-something man who has lost some of his direction or a young woman who is not sure what life holds for her, but knows she has something more to offer than she has unwittingly settled for. But it is by no means limited to that audience. If you admire the craft of acting and appreciate subtlety, if you have 97 minutes to spare by yourself or with a loved one, then do what I did and put this on your next presents list.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2008 10:24 AM GMT