Profile for Alison Towers > Reviews

Dinner Tonight: 200 dishes you can cook in minutes
by Lindsey Bareham

4.0 out of 5 stars Passing longevity., 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First Off, my very first serious cookbook was the Sunday Times recipe book in the 1970s, and despite now being held together with selotape, plus a full bookcase of cookbooks, contains my standard fall back recipes I Have been using for the past forty years. So, my eyes lit up at this title.
First off, the book is organised, with the notable exception of dessets, according to ingredient. For instance, eggs, cheese, aparagus, cod etc. Which I suppose is based on what you have in the fridge or is seasonal. Secondly, the names of recipes is more like a long list of the various ingredients you will need. Oh for the days of creatively named Coronation Chicken, Hungarian Goulash, Tiramisu. Dont ask what is for dinner. It will take half an hour and some tongue twisting at times to, literally, explain.
Other than that, some interesting recipes, but life is too short to type out the titles of the ones that caught my eye. Not sure that this will ever be as popular as my Old Faithful, it doesn't do simplicity nor does it include basics like the main sauces, or traditionally popular recipes, and it doesn't have the full sections on perennial favourites like preparation for Christmas dinner which I still use from my old ST book despite owning both Delia's and Nigella's versions which require complete books on the subject.
So, look like, once youve got your head and tongue round the recipe titles, a decent set of up to date meals that respond to modern tastes and availability of ingredients, but I don't think this will have the longevity of my original Sunday Times book, and will be dated within a year or two unless some people really develop a craving for odd recipes that become favourites.

Snug Ultrasoft Pillowcase, Percale, 180 Thread Count - Standard, Cream
Snug Ultrasoft Pillowcase, Percale, 180 Thread Count - Standard, Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive for this thread count., 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unusual to find a single pillow case rather than a pair. Easy Wash and iron percale. 180 thread which is basic quality. Luxury is at least 500 thread or above. Checked and the rrp for a pair of 800 thread pillowcases averages around £80. So, £18 for a pair at 180 thread is to my mind a bit steep unless if exceptional quality as this is rather thin, and good basic linens in ahost of colours can be found in a host of places including Amazon. For this price I would expect exceptional longevity, and cream is a good colour that would wash well and not be subject to fading. I feel this falls betwixt and between. Just one pillow case. Only useful for single beds for those who do not wish their heads raised too much, or for guests on the sofa. Not a big thread count. This is soft but not noticeably softer than many cheaper versions. I'd be inclined to spend significantly less for everyday and sturdy linens, and a lot more if I was buying for luxury posh. Don't really know when this would be my first choice. I suspect it wouldn't.

Carmex Moisture plus Berry duo pack
Carmex Moisture plus Berry duo pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it very much., 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dont know whether thiscshould correctly by called a lipstick with salve, or a tinted salve. The colour is rich and deep and would easily pass for a lipstick. It is a deeply moisturising salve that protects your lips in sun, rain and wind alike, while replacing a standard lipstick as make up. The casing is lightweight aluminium metallic, not as glamorous as many traditional lipsticks but definitely in a different league to normal lip salves. It tastes vaguely of something though I wouldn't have identified it as berries. Lick it too much and it will come off anyway.
Its a good addition to the range for more formal or dressy occasions if you have chapped or sore lips.

Beyonce Heat Seduction Eau de Toilette for Her 50 ml
Beyonce Heat Seduction Eau de Toilette for Her 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a seductive or sophisticated perfume. Doesn't suit its name., 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice packaging. Bit big for 50ml quantity, trying to make it look it is a bigger bottle containing far more than it is. Pleasant floral with sweet fruity tones with very slight undertones of a more musky, sophisticated perfume. I wouldn't call it a seductive perfume, but a decent everyday perfume for older career women, and maybe a special occasion treat for the younger generation. A better example of a sophisticated seductive perfume is Opium, or even the tried and true classic Chanel 5 would come closer to that particular mark. This just doesn't have that deep haunting sort of vibe, or in terms of basic quality, the silage, meaning the trail it leaves behind as you pass by. Neither does it last that long as it needs to be reapplied after an hour or two. Pleasant, but the essential practical quality is absent, although the price tag is equal to many far better formulated perfumes. I have no idea why they call it Heat Seduction as that description is the last that springs to mind. I might have worn this to work, or a casual sort of outing, but not for anything like a romantic date or formal and sophisticated occasion. And to be honest, the sort of occasions I would wear it for are well catered for with my old fall back of Chloe Narcisse that I habitually wore to work, rather than my collection of expensive perfumes for more formal events. I wouldn't actually go out and voluntarily buy it, or ask for it as a gift, instead of one of the many alternatives available. I would maybe, at a pinch, buy it as a present for a young relative who is a fan of Beyonce and would best suit a light floral perfume that isnt overwhelming.

Mitre Agility Speed Training Kit - One Size, Multi-Coloured
Mitre Agility Speed Training Kit - One Size, Multi-Coloured

5.0 out of 5 stars A real hit., 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you don't count dislocating his shoulder through over enthusiastic training on this, for my my fit as a filea deep sea diver nephew, this went down a treat. Seems it has the necessary bits for organising and setting up a course which requires fast reflexes, strength and speed. Providing you don't do something silly like fall, twist and dislocate yoir shoulder of course. He and his friends have made maximum use of this, for fun and recreation, as well as getting even fitter than they are already.

HALTI Collar, Medium, Purple
HALTI Collar, Medium, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality., 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Comfortable for your dog and secure. Reflective strip so you can easily find your dog if he wanders off in the dark. Strong webbing material. Strong rings and fastening. Good value.

Polska: New Polish Cooking
Polska: New Polish Cooking
by Zuza Zak

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Two words, soup (and) dumplings. No more need be said. Anyone, like myself, who had Polish friends in their youth, and were lucky enough to be fed and watered by warm and inclusive Polish Mums, will know what it is like moving far away to crave homely, comforting soup and dumplings in times of emotional crisis. I was lucky with my friends, a vast range of second generation immigrants with mothers who could cook their way for the Olympics. But, it was when feeling low and in need of lots of TLC that I was hugged and given heart soup and dumplings. Now, long years and far away I can make then myself, and maybe even for the young ones in need of comfort food my extended family.
Visually a lovely book. Lots of other delicious stuff, but, soup and dumplings reign supreme. Sorted.

Skin Doctors Beelift
Skin Doctors Beelift

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good moisturiser., 19 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely texture. Soft and creamy. Bee venom so tested it on penny sized spot on my innervarm and then cheek first, with no bad reactions. Spreading it thinly on my face there was a bit of a strange sensation like a very almost imperceptibly slight numbing. Moisturised and softened my skin immediately leaving it velvety to the touch. Didn't notice any difference in appearance to my OAP lines and crevices, but it did leave my skin feeling rejuvenated. Nice cream.

Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk High Heel Insoles, Women's Sizes 6-10
Dr. Scholl's Dreamwalk High Heel Insoles, Women's Sizes 6-10
Offered by united care

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable., 17 July 2016
Used these often in the past although this pair haven't come out of the packet yet, but as someone who usually wears flats and only wears heels for special occasions, I wouldn't attempt to wear heels without them. They won't help the stretching of muscles in your calves, but they do wonders to help the balls of your feet.

Venum Challenger Mouth Guard - Black/Orange
Venum Challenger Mouth Guard - Black/Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Good., 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Comes in the type of plastic packaging that requires scissors to cut open. Easy to mould, fits well, comes with a plastic holder, good for the kit bag. Like the orange and black colours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20