Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
How To Be Averagely Successful at Comedy
How To Be Averagely Successful at Comedy

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but he waffles a bit!, 23 Sept. 2014
It's ok but the rants on racism and sexism bored me. I'm halfway through this. The first quarter I really enjoyed, the 2nd quarter started to bore me a bit. Mr Cohen describes himself as the typical paranoid comic so he's definitely reading this now! (Oooh I got a review! I must check it out...Oh!) LOL. Mr C comes over as a pretty nice guy and there are definitely a few golden nuggets of comedic advice here (so far) but there is also a lot of waffle too. When he went off on his why woman can be as funny as men rant I got bored. Then he did the same with racism and yeah this is probably just me but I'm just so fed up hearing this stuff now. I know women are as funny / funnier then men. And I know racism sucks. I know this personally, growing up in England being London Irish during the IRA bombing campaigns of the 70's and 80's. Believe me that was a horrible experience. The Irish were the most hated race in England back then and boy were we racially abused..BUT I bought the book to be averagely successful at comedy not to be lectured on sexism and racism etc.

So..should you buy it is the question? Well Mr C does have a few golden nuggets of advice to offer you it's just you won't get them all in one go. Probably but be prepared for a LOT of pages on his own life. Basically this book is simply an autobiographical novel interspersed with bits of comedic advice here and there. It's not a bad book, maybe it could just go on to a slim fast diet for the next edition or at least have a title change as its an autobiography first.

Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute To A Work In Progress...
Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute To A Work In Progress...

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable album, 4 Sept. 2014
As with all albums I listen to them on You Tube first and then if I like them I simply buy it as I like to listen offline and support the artists too. Great songs and great melodies and it's been helping me make it through some very boring bits of work lately! I've definitely got this playing quite a few times!

Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black
Philips SHE8000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black
Offered by Mirko Dornfeld

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 28 Aug. 2014
I hate these. I have to push these so far into my ears to hear any bass but they always come loose in my ear thus making the sound incredibly tinny. These are the most tinniest headphones I have ever bought and have been totally useless to me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 1:53 AM BST

Tascam DR-05 Dictaphone
Tascam DR-05 Dictaphone
Offered by DJ and Studio

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 10 July 2014
I bought this to try and record spoken vocals for videos. i watched a good you tube video on the recorder and was very impressed by the audio on the video. I am quite happy with this but I do seem to have some background hiss (i live in a noisy place) I am trying to record at a lower level but closer to the mic. It's been ok and I've been quite happy with vocal quality on my videos (mixing it with backing music works well) although at the moment I can't get the audio quality as good as the YT video. Now this is probably a lot to do with recording in a noisy area and not the unit per se but I'm interested in anyone else has hiss issues? The YT video was awesome audio which leads me to think its more to do with my environment. Therefore I have to go through the audio track and slowly remove the low hiss in between vocals and while it is a bit time consuming its been ok.

What sold it for me is that I am currently living in Japan and I bought it for £45 so for that price it's good! There is some handling npise so you have to be a bit careful. As a reporter mic I think outside wind noise would be an issue and again the handling noise while not as bad as the Zoom H1 can be a bit dodgy so you do have to be careful. I am not sure it would be really work well as a reporter mic.

Overall I am quite happy, the audio is very good, it's well built, it does stereo and mono and 24 bit recording as well..yeah thumbs up!

Zoom H2n Portable Recorded with SD Card 2 GB Black
Zoom H2n Portable Recorded with SD Card 2 GB Black

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.75 out 5, 20 Jun. 2014
I am reviewing this product as an interview / radio package mic. I made a 13 minute radio package with this for fun. The package is on vimeo and is called Y Aarhus Music and Poetry Club. There you can hear the quality of the mic when recording interviews and also acoustic music. I found the mic to be very good in its recording quality but handling noise was very poor. I used it in my hand and also with an external handle. I had to be super careful when holding as it made many creaks, not a good thing for a mic. The handle screwed in tightly but the weight of the unit made creaking noises on the handle. I had to be really delicate which is not great. Basically a better casing would solve this issue straight away. So this is maybe not the best for an interview mic long term (as another reviewer has said) but give the mic its due, it did the job and it did it well. Battery power seemed a bit weak. Overall not bad.

Junk Of The Heart
Junk Of The Heart
Offered by Bee-Entertained

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but a tad bland, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Junk Of The Heart (Audio CD)
Definitely the weakest album out of 3. Inside In Inside Out being the best, followed by a good second album however Junk Of The Heart just seems quite bland and middle of the road compared to their first 2 albums. I just couldn't get into it and I did try. I'll give their next album a try but if its anything like this blandness I will be disappointed. All bands are allowed a bad album, lets hope The Kooks got this one out of their system now. While this is not a bad album, its just not a good album either.

iRig Pre Universal Microphone Interface for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad
iRig Pre Universal Microphone Interface for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad
Offered by Inta-Audio

3.0 out of 5 stars Good audio but not quite there, 6 April 2014
I have an Moto G, android phone and iRig state that it will work with an android system. I used it with a Beyer MCE 58 ominidirectional microphone which is a great microphone. One problem I have is that I can't monitor myself when recording audio. Nothing comes out of the headphones, it is massively important to be able to hear yourself when recording interviews etc. I found that when I record audio onto the iRig app the audio is always garbled but when I record audio using the HD Audio Recorder Pro App (free) the audio is fine. As for sound quality I would say its good but its not 100% professional. I normally use the Beyer MCE 58 with a mini disc recorder (this was a standard BBC newsroom set up in the early 2000's). I fancied just testing the set up with a phone. The quality onto the mini disc over the quality onto the phone is better. The phone audio is slightly tinny however it is good and could be used for community radio but I wouldn't recommend it for professional radio. But not being able to monitor myself renders the iRig as not a viable option for recording interviews (this could be just my phone, this could be just a bum unit?) Overall for £26 its good. The day that a phone company puts in a dedicated microphone jack alongside a headphone jack will be the day that recording onto mobile phones takes a big step forward and it will happen. Until then I will stick with the older style of MD Recorder and Mic, which still does a brilliant job. I returned the unit with no questions asked by Amazon. Nice!

RODE SUSPENSION WINDSHIELD SYSTEM
RODE SUSPENSION WINDSHIELD SYSTEM
Offered by H.PRESTON MEDIA

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, 3 April 2014
I used one for my masters film at university and it did the job very well. Mine came with a fur exterior too. However for a bit of plastic £189 is laughable. I bought the handle here for £40 so £140 for a plastic tube is a joke. Back to the product review however, slightly big but worked well with my Rode NTG-2 and it handled outside conditions well.

Learn Japanese Verbs and Adjectives Using Memory Mnemonics
Learn Japanese Verbs and Adjectives Using Memory Mnemonics
by Ryan McDonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 25 Feb. 2014
It's quite overpriced to be honest. To me it seems the author started the project with enthusiasm and by the end just got very bored and wanted out :) It would have been nice to have the conjugations as well and some of the mnemonics are just awful (he says he had to remove all the rude ones but ends up replacing them with lame ones whereas a bit more effort could have been made to make much better replacements)
Now having said all of that its not bad but at the moment its not great either. The book does has the potential to be very good, I hope the author breaks it down next time and revamps it in a better way...but at the moment I don't think it justifies its price.

Teaching English in Japan
Teaching English in Japan
by Jerry O'Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 3 Jan. 2014
I picked up this book for £1 in my local charity store and it is quite helpful although it is now 22 years old! What I do like about this book is that the author seems to have good knowledge of Japanese students, there is advice tailored specifically to teaching Japanese students only. It's 222 pages long and it does have some good chapters. I am applying for The JET Programme and have been using it as a study aid too. While it is a bit light in places overall this a very good book which in all reality should be reprinted for teaching English in today's Japan.

Chapter 1: Who goes to Japan
Chapter 2: Going to a pre-arranged job
Chapter 3: Arriving without a job
Chapter 4: Where to teach English
Chapter 5: Visas
Chapter 6: How expensive is Japan?
Chapter 7: Arriving and everyday living