Profile for A. Fabrizio > Reviews

Content by A. Fabrizio

A. Fabrizio "Disinterested Wisdom" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Canon EOS 100D DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm III Lens - Black (18MP, CMOS Sensor) 3 inch Touch Screen LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Camera, 6 Aug 2014
We bought this camera to replace our Canon 1000D. In the Canon range, this is in the entry-level category. Being avid hobbyists on a budget we bought this camera with standard lens and have been very pleased. We decided against the IS (Image Stabilizer) lens, to keep the budget under control and haven't regretted it. In low-light conditions the high ISO ranges mean the added sensitivity more than compensates. We took photos in the Rijksmuseum with no flash on ISO 6400 and got great results even of dark flemish paintings. The menus are easy to use, and for people who want to apply their own settings, there is an easy to reach aperture button now which is a big plus. As mentioned elsewhere, the auto focus is a bit wonky on video setting, not something that concerned us since we didn't buy this camera to make videos with. This camera also has a 'live view' feature which enables you to see the photo on the LCD as you are taking it. I didn't see any reason for this feature, but actually I've found it useful a few times, for example when I want to hold the camera up over head, or when setting up the camera on a tripod (or other stationary object) for a group shot or where it's not easy to see through the viewfinder. All in all great camera.

Measure for Measure (Shakespeare, Pelican)
Measure for Measure (Shakespeare, Pelican)

1.0 out of 5 stars Formatting Fail, 6 May 2014
The notes do not appear at the bottom of the kindle screen, nor is there a hyperlink from the term. It is as if the pages were taken from the paper edition and simply kindle-ized without reference to how the text would appear on the screen. Therefore, the page notes generally appear on the following page, somewhere perhaps in the middle of the page, sort of at random and based on the general formatting of the play itself. There's no rhyme or reason. But in general, where the notes fall on the following page, this requires one to go back and forth to access the notes. This could be bearable, given the cheapness of price, but the lines of the play are not numbered. The notes are numbered - but what good is a numbered note if one doesn't know what line number one is on? In addition, the notes follow one after the other, not as in a list with each note occupying its own line, but one after the other, in paragraph form, making for a very tedious, eyeball wrenching experience. Even for the discounted price, this edition is not worth it.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Written, A Page Turner, 12 Jan 2014
The author's main thesis is that the true historical Jesus is to be found in the first of the 4 gospels (Mark/Matthew/Luke/John), Mark - and that subsequent gospels as well as the writings of Saint Paul, which heavilly inform the development of Christianity are revisions, or re-writes which fundamentally alter Jesus from the messianic Jew that he was into the Christian Messiah. Brilliantly written with captivating prose, this book vividly describes the poltitical and social backdrop of 1st century Jerusalem, a highly-charged city brimming with political and social conflict and inserts Jesus into this mileu through the words that are attributed to him. As events evolve in and around Jerusalem, as the King of the Jews is murdered by Rome, the message undergoes change - resulting in 'new' gospels and a Jesus transformed. For anyone who has struggled to comprehend the contradictory picture of Jesus presented by the 4 gospels and the epistles, this text goes a long way towards making sense of it all. I read this book in a couple of sittings as I found it quite fascinating. If all history were written this well, people would probably read a lot more of it.

The First World War
The First World War

4.0 out of 5 stars A Military History - Not General History., 12 Jan 2014
There's no doubt that this is an extremely impressive work. However, it consists almost entirely of highly detailed accounts of the campaigns and battles themselves - and little else. This is a military history. Anyone interested in a general history of the First World War would probably do better to look elsewhere. Not personally taking an interest in the level of military granularity, I fould this book extremely tedious.

Alfred the Great
Alfred the Great
by Justin Pollard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Alfred the Great (Paperback)
Wonderfully written, this historical biography of an incredible man and an incredible time is distinguished not just by the quality of the scholarship, but by the compelling prose. A absolute page turner.

Britain AD: A Quest for Arthur, England and the Anglo-Saxons
Britain AD: A Quest for Arthur, England and the Anglo-Saxons
by Francis Pryor

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written, 22 Nov 2013
I only got a few chapters into this book, before putting it down for good. The narrative was discursive and failed to demonstrate the kind of academic rigor that I had anticipated, expected in fact. It appeared to me that many of the assertions made by the writer were hastilly drawn together and lacked a strong narrative or evidentiary structure. Finding the experience wholly unsatisfactory, the book was returned (to the library) post-haste.

The Heart of Compassion: The Thirty-seven Verses on the Practice of a Bodhisattva

4.0 out of 5 stars Orthodox Tibetan Buddhism, 12 Nov 2013
I'd come to this book hoping to be guided by and find some inspiration towards a buddhist(ic) worldview and conduct. What I found instead was a text that introduces (Tibetan) Buddhism in a fairly orthodox way, including (what I consider) to be superstition and myth (Did the Buddha reincarnate as a dog to teach other animals? Is my 'bad' karma preventing my from practicing the dharma? Etc). This was not the practical guide that I somehow thought it would be (mea culpa). Because this was not at all what I was seeking, and was not the text for me, I put it down before finishing it. Consider what you seek to learn, and evaluate if this is the right book for you.

VonShef Electric Knife Sharpener Two Stage Sharpener - for Precision Grinding and Fine Honing Kitchen Knives
Offered by Designer Habitat

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sharper - beware !, 23 Aug 2013
I love this device. I've been using it for about a two months on 2 decent knives that I bought from Sainsbury (which had gone dull and not being easily sharpened). It sharpens them to a very fine edge such that they will, for example, effortlessly slice a tomato. I can even slice a plum tomato into tiny slices with the greatest of ease. Careful though! Sharp knives hurt. I've alredy knicked myself twice - drawing blood. Yes, sharp knives.

Appearance is reasonable enough - build good. Value for money: excellent.

Replacement battery for Dell MT264 laptop (9-cell, 7800mAh)
Replacement battery for Dell MT264 laptop (9-cell, 7800mAh)
Offered by PowerforLaptops

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Seller, 23 Jun 2013
I ordered this battery as a replacement for my Dell 1535 battery. The reason I chose this over some of the less expensive Dell battery replacements was that while those advertised themselves as apples-to-apples replacements for the Dell 9 volt, they were in fact of a lower specification. This one @ 7800 mAH and 87W actually does match the original Dell spec. So, while it may cost a little more than some of the Chinese made batteries available, this meets the capacity spec.

The item arrived the very next day, much to my surprise. The battery itself has a good long life and after a few days use appears to be working well. I get around 3 hours out of the battery during active use (longer if the machine is idle). I recall that being the norm with my Dell battery, possibly a little longer (I don't recall with certainty). But for price I think this is a good value.

Fibonacci Analysis (Bloomberg Market Essentials: Technical Analysis)
Fibonacci Analysis (Bloomberg Market Essentials: Technical Analysis)
by Constance Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Ideas But Much Superfluous Content, 17 Oct 2012
The author begins with a discussion of the golden mean in literature and philosophy, in order to underpin the significance of the underlying mathematical principals, and it's recurrence in nature and science. This is very interesting, but frankly, not terribly salient to the topic involved. When the author does get to discussing the use of Fibonacci ratios in trading, the topic is given a few examples and a general overview, including a brief, but not overly detailed discussion of confluence. This forms, roughly, the central part of the book. What I would like to have seen discussed here is a more detailed examination (with many, many charts) of actual Fibonacci trading scenarios in different time frames, detailed examinations of confluence, of support and resistance vis a vis different Fibonacci levels, and possibly even, confluence of Fibonacci with other support levels such as trend, central tendency and so on. This sort of analysis was absent. The significance of the Fibo levels, 161 and 261 in particular were given short shrift. Are all Fibonacci levels the same? They are not, but they are treated almost as if they were. The concluding chapters, which I glossed, but did not read, bear almost no importance from a practical perspective on how to trade using F ratios. In all, a decent work, but perhaps too much padding, and too little from an actual trader's perspective. I bought the book because the author is said to have been trading Fibonacci for many years, and so, expected more of a traders analysis on how to use Fibonacci in different time frames (eg, intraday to days, weeks, months or even years). That analysis, I assert, is absent. Not a bad book on the whole but not a text that left me satisfied that I understood how to use Fibonacci ratios any more than when I began (I'd been using Fibonacci as a general reference on my daily, weekly and intraday charts for some time). This has been called the definitive text. I would argue, if that's the case, then the marketplace is ready for a new definition of definitive.

Page: 1 | 2