Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for O. Friend > Reviews

Content by O. Friend

O. Friend (Cape Girardeau, MO USA)

The Gunman And Other Stories
The Gunman And Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars A Master at Work, 17 July 2001
I am in complete awe of the songwriting on GUNMAN. Paddy once again reminds us of what a perfectly crafted pop song is. TROUBLED MAN, LOVE WILL FIND.., BLUE ROSES and CORNFIELD ABLAZE could be used in songwriting courses... no, make that SHOULD be used. <g> I find it amazing how few words are needed in these songs to convey complex human emotions. It's easy for a poetic writer to lob buckets-full of flowing phrases into a composition, when brevity, in the hands of a master, can make much more of an impact.
As I've been saying for the last 15 years - American pop fans don't know what they're missing. And it doesn't help that the last 2 PS albums haven't even been released over here. In fact, I was already plotting a way to get my hands on a copy, when I happened to find it in the import rack at Tower Records in Nashville. Being in the middle of a 10 hour road trip, I had time for 3 straight through listenings over that weekend. First time through, I was busy listening to lyrics, arrangements and listening for Wendy (not there). (Oh, BTW, I simply cracked up when I first heard Farmyard Cat - nice way to end the album, IMHO). By the third time through, I was in love with all of the songs. The recording seems much more comfortable and alive than ANDROMEDA HEIGHTS.
Thanks, Paddy and company. Your work is appreciated more than any amount of commercial success will ever reveal. (although with this album, I don't see how it WOULDN'T make in on AC radio/VH1 here in the states...)
Great album. Keep 'em coming.