Profile for Carol A. O'Connor > Reviews

Carol A. O'Connor

Page: 1 | 2
The Undercover Economist
The Undercover Economist

1.0 out of 5 stars Like reading an old book from the 1950's or 1960's ..., 12 Dec 2014
I grew up reading non-fiction books that used 'he' and 'him' throughout assuming there were no female partipicipants in a non-fiction world. In recent years, this error has been corrected so that a young woman reading a school text or other reference need not feel excluded. Tim Harford reverts to the earlier practice and I found the book difficult to read as a result. It has a dated feel although highly contemporary. Like reading an old book from the 1950's or 1960's eferring to the 'company man' or 'businessmen'.

OK. Maybe Mr Harford is making a subtle point about it being too hard to juggle language and avoid gender distinction. I agree it is a challenge, but one worth pursuing because use of masculine pronouns is excluding albeit in subtle ways.

His publisher did not serve him well. He has produced a thought provoking read - at least as far as chapter 2 when I gave up - but his ideas are addressed in a more inclusive way by other more inclusive authors.

Older men may not object, but young men and women seem to dislike retro ignorance about gender.

Severin Titanium Coffee Maker, Black
Severin Titanium Coffee Maker, Black
Offered by sotel-germany

4.0 out of 5 stars Corection to a previous review, 30 May 2014
Earlier today I gave 1 star to Warecasa, the company that sold me the coffee maker. Within a few hours they explained the issue and resolved it. I am giving 4 stars to make up for the one - sadly I can't figure out how to edit or add to that earlier review. As for the coffee maker, I haven't tried it. The glass carafe was broken.

5 Cities®, 1 year warranty, Small, World's lightest, Plum and Grey, Hard wearing and light weight Ripstop Material with EVA Panels flight bag, 42cm x 20cm x 29cm, 0.50kg 19L (Plum/Grey) - 'Right Size, Right Weight, Right Price!' - LuggageTravelBags

4.0 out of 5 stars goofd bag but won't last forever, 16 Aug 2013
I like this bag - colour wise it matches my wheelie bag purchase from a different company. Positives include it having a fabric band across the back so that it slips onto the handle of a w so that it rests on top of the wheelie bag as I pull both bags along. The front compartment is big enough to carry my 10-inch laptop inside a protective sleeve. This is good for easy access when on a plane.

Negatives are that the top handle is likely the first part that will go and so I've avoided packing heavy items in it. also it looks cheap at just £3.50 but P&P was £4.99. Still I'm glad I bought it. Cannot give five stars because of these negatives.

Aerolite® Super Lightweight World lightest Suitcase Trolley Cases Bag Luggage (18" 21" 26" 29" 32") (21", Plum)

4.0 out of 5 stars a good lilttle bag, 16 Aug 2013
This bag looks good and was at a low cost, but is shaped so that it is much narrower toward the top. This means I can't get as much packed as i would like. Also its depth is not as much as other bags. BUT it is perfect for a long weekend - or even a week if you're alight packer and will easily fit in any overhead bin on low-cost airlines. e.g. I used it along with another bag - also carry-on - for a week's business trip to a hot country packing only light-weight items.

Also is really does look like a quality bag and the plum colour is pretty pleasing. I'd recommend this bag, but not to those who want a bag to last years and years. This one won't - I imagine - hence only four stars.

Medium Large 26 Inch Hard Sided Shell 4 Wheel Spinner Suitcase ABS Luggage Case (Black/Grey)

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor quality suticase, 16 Aug 2013
This arrived last night - a day earlier than the 1st day promised for its delivery and so the company earns one star. also the delivery man was very nice. However the packaging was a flimsy plastic bag torn in many places with tape to close the top of the bag that looked as if it had been attached by a school child. Inside the outer bag was in another very thin plastic bag.

Now for the suitcase - this is very poor quality. If it were filled with clothes only, I can imagine the side and/or handles snapping off when lifting the bag to climb stairs or remove it from a airport carrousel. The handle for pulling the bag is very weak and will not last either. The zip is so fliimsy I was left staring sat it. Mind you the wheels look OK and it pulls along pretty silently so that sort of contributes to the one star.

I paid £39.95 for this bag and think it would worth more like 'a fiver down the market'. So I asked for refund right away. If the company responds quickly and makes it easy to get this bag collected with a prompt refund then I'll add a star. If they don't, then I'm revise this review and let everyone know they've fallen down on this as well as quality.

Hudora Trampoline 96cm
Hudora Trampoline 96cm

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hudora Trampoline 96cm (Sports)
This trampoline firm underfoot resulting in an excellent bounce. sturdy with good quality blue edging covering the springs. my previous one lasted about 6 years then one by one the springs snapped off so that gradually I was bouncing lower and lower to the floor. Not safe, but hey-ho. The springs on this one look to be made of a better material, but time will tell.

I highly recommend using one of these for inexpensive, indoor exercise. I'm an exertion-phobe and find jumping the best way to stay on task and exercise. Ugh. The trampoline makes a difference to weight-control for me. I jump 3 or 4 times a week for about 20 minutes and my weight stays the same, alongside a reasonably healthy eating and life style. as soon as I get lazy and stop, my clothes begin to get tight and I have to go back to jumping. I'll add that I'm soon to be 64 and if I can do this anyone younger certainly can.

Acer Aspire One 725 11.6-inch Netbook (Black) - (AMD DC C70 1GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit)
Offered by Citadel_09

5.0 out of 5 stars a sweet little machine, 16 April 2013
This laptop is thin, light and with a power supply that stays cool and is also very light. It also has a special something that makes it fun to use. I just like it - it makes me smile when I open the lid.

As another reviewers noted, it is not zingy and powerful, but is made to carry-around. The 4GB of Ram helps with speed, and as yet another reviewer advised, I changed the power settings to get a better performance. Windows 8 is fiddly to learn but with perseverance, is OK.

Cable Mountain 3m Gold Plated VGA Cable with integrated 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack Lead

2.0 out of 5 stars audio cord is way too short, 16 April 2013
The goods arrived on time and were packed in an OK padded package. This is why I'm giving two stars - for delivery. Also the product seems well made and is as described with gold plated plugs. However the product lacks detail in description about the length or cord at the split between the audio and video plugs. And another reviewer wrote that the length of cord was ample.

The audio cord begins at the base of the video plug next to the cable. There is about 39cm of audio cord. My laptop has its VGA cord on one side and the audio in on the other. I can just stretch the audio plug across the machine, but even another cm wide and I couldn't.

If the seller adds this information, then I will add a star tot his review.

Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Offered by M.T.

1.0 out of 5 stars zero stars for this seller, 16 April 2013
15th May 2013
Follow up on earlier review. I want to repeat me wish to give Zoombits zero-stars. They accepted my return, but charged a re-stock fee of about £3. There are several other poor reviews but many-many of 5-stars. The poor reviews describe exactly my bad experience with this company and the 5-stars seem to be about an entirely different business. My advice - avoid Zoombits. Why? they refused my request for help/information with a 'contact Samsung'. when I returned the item they charged a restock, taking no responsibility for their poor behaviour. There are many other far better sellers out there.

16th April 2013
This review is primarily about the seller, with added comments about the player's incompatibility with Windows 8.

The seller does not warn that the player does not have the European region as default. Which region is set for isn't clear. There are only 5 opportunities to play UK purchased DVD's and then it permanently stays at its default region. I wrote to the seller and here is a quote of their reply: "Dear Customer, many thanks! I am sorry to hear that. Could you please contact Samsung directly for this matter. Kind Regards - Wolfi @ Zoombits".

Add to this that the player was flimsily packed, with the player box slightly crushed on arrival. Delivery was a week after it was promised. It seems to work other than not being able to play UK region DVD's. Legally a buyer can return goods ordered online within 7 days which I am asking to do. If faulty or mis-sold, the return period is unlimited.

As for the DVD's compatibility with Windows 8, auto play doesn't work. In order to get a app disk to start, I've had to go to 'computer', then open the disk, then look for 'set up' or a similar file. To play a movie, it took me about 20 minutes to get it to start. This is when I got the message that it's default is a different region than the UK and I'll have only 5 tries with out-of-region DVD's. For those with less computer experience, the DVD player will be all but useless.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 9:42 AM BST

Orchestra Seats [DVD]
Orchestra Seats [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cecile De France

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this film, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Orchestra Seats [DVD] (DVD)
This film is uplifting, funny, kind and touching . It's also far more complicated and emotionally layered than it's light-hearted style at first suggests. The story: a young woman from Macon arrives in Paris and takes a job as a waitress. She meets a soap opera actress, a concert pianist, the heir of an industrialist and many others. She is sweet but very smart with special qualities that require full attention. The sub-plots are: love of craft, love of music, love of family, love of work, and of course, love of romance - this is a French film. The editing is superb, the ensemble acting 100%. Each character is nicely judged and played. I love this film. Saw it twice on BBC - the first time, it played in the background and so I missed its nuances. So I watched it last night for a 2nd time. Now I'm buying it to play again whenever I like.

Page: 1 | 2