Profile for Mrs C. > Reviews

Content by Mrs C.

Mrs C. "Northern Girl" (Manchester)

Kelly Hoppen Design Masterclass: How to Achieve the Home of Your Dreams
Kelly Hoppen Design Masterclass: How to Achieve the Home of Your Dreams
by Kelly Hoppen

2.0 out of 5 stars Understated is certainly not the word here!, 19 Feb. 2014
I bought this book due to it's rave reviews and I have to say I was hugely dissapointed and have returned the book unused! Whilst the contents may have had some vaild points, the decor in the book was not to my taste at all and actually seemed cluttered, over fussy and obviously only for people who have thousands and thousands to splash out on their pad. Maybe for some peoples tastes but certainly not for me!

Lean on Pete
Lean on Pete
by Willy Vlautin

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Lean on Pete (Paperback)
I love this book, it is so heartfelt and in typical Willy Vlautin style. I hope Mr Vlautin will be bringing a new book out soon, I'm going to have to start re-reading the others again!

Pig Iron
Pig Iron
by Ben Myers

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind., 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Pig Iron (Paperback)
Cormac McCarthy, Willy Vlautin, Raymond Carver, Benjamin Myers. This book gives us a writer that sits with the best in this type of genre. I could not put this down, so desperate to find out what happens to the loveable and naive John-John. It portrays the traveller life from different views, the good and the bad. It also really describes the fear and aggression from 'those estates' that we all have, in every city. The prose was beautiful, the storyline gripping and I'm not even going to go into the plot because you just need to go and read it yourself. I was hooked by the first page. This book screams 'British Film'.

In The Mind Of Jamie Cullum
In The Mind Of Jamie Cullum

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 July 2009
Being a person of fairly eclectic tastes, this cd stuck out to me. I have not been let down. The cd has been on repeat since i got it! The Quasimoto tune is probably my favourite, but I absolutely love the rest of it! If you like this, try the Lifestyle compilations. They're also eclectic but not watered down like some you can get!

Slaughterhouse 5, or The Children's Crusade - A Duty-dance with Death
Slaughterhouse 5, or The Children's Crusade - A Duty-dance with Death
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that got me thinking for weeks!, 23 Jun. 2007
This is the first of Kurt Vonnegut's books that i read, and so far his greatest in my opinion. What starts off as quirky and humourous, this book delves into the corners of your mind and twists every emotion. His take on Dresden was so refreshing, the minor little feelings that you don't always associate with the testosterone infused attitudes to war, were gentle and amusing. The mix of fiction and reality combines perfectly, this book is a necssity!