Profile for Nick Pendrell > Reviews

Content by Nick Pendrell

Nick Pendrell (Stratford-upon-Avon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Promoting Your Podcast: The Ultimate Guide to Building an Audience of Raving Fans
by Jason Van Orden

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need and more, 16 Aug. 2007
I bought several books on the subject of podcasting and this is the only one that I can recommend.

Most books seem to be full of waffle when compared to the cut-down information you get on the Web, but not this one - it's written in a lean and mean fashion that gives you all the information you need as quickly and clearly as possible.

The information is very matter-of-fact and very detailed telling you exactly what you need to do and where to do it.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the level of detail. The advice in the book can also be used for general internet marketing and is not restricted just to podcasting.

In summary, I highly recommend this book. Anyone who is currently podcasting would benefit from reading it. I really wish that I had also bought the author's other book, Podcasting 101, which is about creating podcasts, as I can imagine that it is also very useful information compared to most of the books on the subject.

Podcasting for Real Estate and Finance Professionals
Podcasting for Real Estate and Finance Professionals
by Butch" Charles Grimes

2.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic, Unrelated to Real Estate, 16 Aug. 2007
As I have recently launched a site connected with investing in real estate and planned to promote it with some podcasts, I thought that this book was exactly what I needed.

It wasn't.

It's not bad as a quick-start, bare bones, introduction to the world of podcasting - it only took about 4 hours to read from start to finish. However, it lacks the depth to allow the reader to really get to grips with the subject from the information here alone.

But where the book really falls down as it has very little information related solely to creating podcasts covering the real estate market - it was far too general for that. I was hoping that there would be links for promoting to this niche market, but there wasn't.

If you really are serious about starting podcasting, there are definitely more useful books on the subject around.

The Business Podcasting Bible: Wherever My Market Is... I Am
The Business Podcasting Bible: Wherever My Market Is... I Am
by Paul Colligan

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the audio, guys, 16 Aug. 2007
The title of this book made it sound like just what I needed. The word 'bible' to me says that it contains everything that I could possibly need to know on the subject. But this is far from the case. I would be happy to have read the 'Book of Revelations', but sadly this particular 'bible' doesn't really get past the 'Book of Genesis'.

Chapter 1 can be summarized as saying "podcasts are really useful things for all types of businesses". I was thinking, "yes, I know this or else I wouldn't have spent money buying a book about it".

OK, so the first chapter of most books tell you what you already know. But then I found that the other five chapters pretty much said just exactly the same thing.

My two main questions that I wanted a book to answer were:

1. How do I make a podcast?
2. How do I get people to listen to it?

The book finishes with an introduction to appendices which says something along the lines of 'the subjects of making a podcast and promoting it are beyond the scope of this book, but here is a list of other books and websites that will tell you how to do it'.

Great!

I ended up just ripping out 5 pages of the appendices and tossing the rest of the book as it was good for nothing.

It's also the worst organized book that I have ever read. The book is divided into:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

No headings, no subheadings, no bullet points - basically no way of getting directly to the information that you really need. I think that this is actually deliberate because the information that you really need isn't there anyway.

Another really frustrating bit of 'organization' is that there are a lot of sidebars in the book - sidebars that go on for page after page. So to read all of the sidebars you need to read ahead several pages and then go back to carry on reading the main slab of turgid prose.

If you work for a company and the boss calls you into his office one day and says, "do you think we should do some of this podcasting stuff that eveyone's talking about? If so, why?" and your reaction is "what's a podcast anyway?", then this book could be moderately useful.

For everyone else who is pretty sure that they want to start podcasting anyway, it's just a waste of time and money.

The Jet-to-Let Bible: The Secrets of Overseas Property Investment (Lawpack Property Series)
by Dominic Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Currently Available, 9 Mar. 2007
I am currently starting a website about investing in international property and so ordered virtually every book available on the subject to see what information is out there.

This is definitely the best by a wide margin. The first 170 pages explain the basics of the jet-to-let market in great detail. There is a tremendous amount of useful information here yet it is written in a very simple way that is easy to read. Most material on international property simply drones on like a boring lecturer, yet I had no problem at all in keeping motivated to read right through to the end.

The remainder of the book looks at the most interesting markets in the world currently. In most of the other books on the subject I read, this section is usually nothing more than a glorified travel guide, padded out with very basic information that you can find in hundreds of places on the Web. This book, however, actually has hard facts about each of the markets, going through the buying process.

If you are only going to buy one book on investing in international property, this is the right one to go for.

The System: How to Get Laid TODAY!
The System: How to Get Laid TODAY!
by Roy Valentine

2.0 out of 5 stars For Beginners Only, 9 Mar. 2007
I bought this book together with Neil Strauss's 'The Game'. As 'The System' is tiny and 'The Game' is long, I read 'The System' first.

I didn't think that 'The System' was too bad. Rather simplistic for sure, but it looks as if the strategy that the author uses should have some effect - at least for someone as totally clueless as myself in certain key areas.

But once I started 'The Game' I realized how basic the advice in 'The System' really is. Valentine is like a kindergarten teacher compared to Strauss's university lecturer. If I had read 'The Game' first, I am sure I would have thrown 'The System' away after 10 minutes.

In summary, don't waste your money on this book; get 'The Game' instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2012 11:33 AM BST

Multiple Streams of Internet Income: How Ordinary People Make Extraordinary Money Online
by Robert G. Allen

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly Outdated, 17 Dec. 2006
The Internet moves so fast that I make a point of not reading anything published more than 12 months ago.

After having read this book, I now realize that I should not read any 'Second Edition' that has not been 'Fully Revised and Rewritten'.

The first edition of this book was published in 2001. After reading it, it appears that there have been very few changes to the book over the last half decade. The only reference I could find to anything having happened over this time was the mention of the fact that one of the contributors died last year.

Much of the content of this book is a collection of stories along the lines of "Joe Schmo was living in a cardboard box and eating catfood when, in 1998, he discovered this new-fangled thing called the Internet and was soon making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from it".

Had Joe Schmo tried to do the same things in 2006, he would still be living in the box and eating catfood because it's a lot harder to find an empty niche now than it was back in those days.

Most of the 'marketing secrets' revealed in the book involve the heavy use of marketing by email. Whereas this was a great tactic to use back in 2001, I fear that it is a great deal less effective now that spam has increased 50-fold since it was first written.

The overall result is that there is very little information here that can be successfully applied to an Internet start-up in 2006.

If you were unaware of the fact that there is a site called eBay and that it is possible to make money by selling stuff on it, perhaps this book could be of interest, as this is one of the more revolutionary 'new' ways of making money described in the book, then maybe it is worth checking out. For those people who haven't been living in a cave for the past decade, however, there are much more useful purchases in this field to be had.

Internet Riches: The Simple Money-Making Secrets of Online Millionaires
Internet Riches: The Simple Money-Making Secrets of Online Millionaires
by Scott Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked For Me, 6 Dec. 2006
I've been trying to come up with a new idea for an Internet business but have been getting nowhere at all, and so I thought that I would try this book to see if it gave me some inspiration.

Much to my surprise, I found that it did. I can't claim that it was 100% down to the book, but it got me to put my thinking cap on and start thinking in some different directions.

Of course, the claims of quickly becoming a millionaire need to be taken with a very large piece of salt, but stranger things have happened!

After discussing how to get your creative juices flowing on coming up with a good idea, the rest of the book goes through all of the steps necessary in order to set up an Internet business. It is written for the absolute novice - no website experience is necessary at all. I was also impressed with the way that the writer has investigated the cheapest options in all cases allowing anyone to have a go for no more than $25 a month.

For me the information here was a little basic, but it served as a useful refresher course because the information is still current.

All in all, it's well worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9