Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Stratford-upon-Avon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Christmas in Bangkok (English Teacher X)
Christmas in Bangkok (English Teacher X)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Strange Little Book, 28 Mar 2012
This is a strange concept for a book.

The first short story in the book, Christmas in Bangkok, is a nicely written little story about one memorable Christmas that the author spent among the fleshpots of Bangkok which I really enjoyed and was very much looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

Unfortunately, as far as the writing goes, that one short ten-minute read is all that you get in this book. Following this is a few short cartoon strips about some more short adventures which he had, which were pretty crudely drawn and not very interesting - and that was that.

It's a shame as the author writes very well compared to a lot of the other self-published travel books that I have read recently. I would definitely be interested in reading about more of his misadventures in future, but I will certainly be hoping that the others that he writes are more traditional books with several hours worth of good reading rather than a short story beefed up with a few more cartoons.

At Home Anywhere - Six Proven Expat Secrets for Making Yourself at Home In Any Foreign Country

2.0 out of 5 stars Padded Out Blog Entry, 28 Mar 2012
There really isn't enough content here for what I would describe as being a 'book'. It would make for a reasonably interesting 500 word blog entry. There are six very simple pieces of advice here (which can be see from the sample). These are simply padded out with a some of the author's personal anecdotes and some typical American 'positive thinking' self help, mumbo jumbo to bring it up to a 15 minute read.

Luckily I got this free as I would not be at all happy if I had paid the current price of £3.50 for such very basic and simple information.

On the plus side, the book is quite nicely presented with some excellent illustrations. I think the book would be much improved if the illustrations were dispensed with though and there was some more interesting and relevant content instead.

I can really only recommend it to someone moving abroad who is totally clueless as to what they might expect and how to deal with it (in these circumstances though, they are probably better advised just to stay at home instead).

Acer Aspire 7740 17.3 inch Notebook (Intel Core i3-370M Processor, RAM 6GB, HDD 640GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop at an Excellent Price, 22 Mar 2012
I made a lot of research before settling on this laptop and all my efforts certainly paid off as this is an excellent product at a very competitive price.

I have mostly been using desktops for the past 15 years and was not relishing moving over to a laptop, but this product made the transition relatively painless. I am used to having twin 19" monitors which was what I was most afraid of giving up. Running a product called SplitView on this laptop softened the blow as I am able to use the screen as a standard 15.4" window with a 'strip' at the side for Skype conversations, etc.

Having XXL-sized, clumsy fingers made me worry that I wouldn't be able to type very fast on the keyboard and so I would need an external one. With the Aspire having a full-sized keyboard though meant that it wasn't as bad as I thought that it would be. I did find the keys a little over-sensitive though and am constantly typing double letters.

What really impressed me about this laptop though is its multimedia capabilities. The aspect ratio is perfect for movies and most TV series and the display is crystal clear. An even nicer surprise was the sound quality. I was expecting the sound to be quite tinny without headphones but the speakers are more than acceptable. The built in webcam is also of very high quality and so is the inbuilt microphone.

Being a power user who never has less than a dozen windows open at any one time and who never switches his computer off, the 6GB of RAM is a real godsend - even using a lot of very memory-greedy programs simultaneously did not slow down the laptop as far as I could tell.

The only problem that I have had during the two months I have been using this laptop is that I can't get Acrobat Reader to work properly. But I think that this is more of a problem with Windows than the laptop itself.

In summary, for anyone looking for a 17.3" laptop, you will struggle to find one with better specs for anywhere close to this price.

Get That Job in Sales
Get That Job in Sales

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Content, 20 Mar 2012
This is a very short book that can be read in an hour or so.

If you have never read any book on applying for jobs and interviews, then this book might be of some use as it's a short summary of how to get through the process without making any terrible mistakes. For anyone who already has a few interviews under their belt though, who has a bit of common sense and/or has read any other book on the jobhunting process, there is very little here that will be new.

Despite the title, very little of the content is specifically geared towards someone looking for a sales job in particular - the advice is all quite generic that can be used for applying for a job in any sphere.

At a price of £6 currently, this book is definitely overpriced for the amount of content contained inside it and so I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere for a book on this subject.

Sex Tourism In Bangkok: A Beginner's Guide (Without The Bullshit)
Sex Tourism In Bangkok: A Beginner's Guide (Without The Bullshit)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Little Book for Beginners and the Curious, 16 Mar 2012
This is a decent little book on the subject which would be a great starting point for anyone intending on visiting Bangkok looking for some Thai style loving, or the merely curious.

The author is quite upfront about the fact that this is not a huge book - only 7000 words, which means that I can be read in a little over an hour. The current price for the book - a little over £5 is a bit steep, I think (£2.99 would be more appropriate) but if you just want to learn the basic facts as to where to go and what you're likely to find as quickly as possible, then this book does what it says on the tin.

A little more detail would not have been amiss - some information about some potential scams and how to look out for them, for example.

All in all though, it's a decent primer for novices. Anyone who has already been to Bangkok once though and tried the scene before will probably not learn too much that is new here though.

The Hilarious Confessions of 25 Wankers
The Hilarious Confessions of 25 Wankers

2.0 out of 5 stars Ten Minute Read, 29 Feb 2012
This is a very short book - it didn't take more than 10 minutes for me to read it as each of the 25 'confessions' is only a paragraph or two.

I guess everyone has their own definition of 'hilarious', but I got one chuckle out of it and no more.

It reminded me of the sort of article that you'd read in the cheesy top shelf magazines of the 70's - Razzle, Parade, Fiesta, etc. and would have been much better used as a magazine feature than as a book.

I also thought that it was a bit of a sad book. The guys in it don't come off as 'sad wankers' at all - it sounds like they have far better sex lives than most middle-aged couples.

I got this for free and so there was no harm done. The current list price of £1.91 is daylight robbery though.

Pints, Pyramids and Palestinians
Pints, Pyramids and Palestinians

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fun Read, 28 Jan 2012
I enjoyed the author's first book, Beer in the Balkans so much that I wanted more, so went straight on to this book, which is a sequel.

It's another highly entertaining look at some countries off the beaten track where the author hunts down beer in some rather unlikely places. The same blunt, Lad's Mag humour is present that was very much the case in the first book which makes reading his adventures so entertaining and makes them so different from the standard travel writing.

I do have to say that I didn't think that the book was quite as good as his first. For one reason it is a lot shorter than the first book as his trip here wasn't as long. He didn't seem to get involved in quite so many adventures this time (with a few notable exceptions, such as the difficulties he had getting into Israel from Jordan). As a result, there seemed to be a lot more traditional sight-seeing in this book compared to the first, which doesn't make it come over as being quite as interesting as the first. I'd probably give it 4.5 stars compared to the full 5 for the first book.

Still, the book is definitely a whole lot better than the majority of dull travel writing that I've read on my Kindle recently.

The formatting on this book is better than the first one, but there are still a lot of grammatical errors that might be annoying to a lot of readers. It's well-worth ignoring them though to read through the book.

Beer in the Balkans
Beer in the Balkans

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carlsberg Did Travel Writing ..., 28 Jan 2012
I absolutely love this book - definitely one of the best books I've read in quite a while (and that's a lot of books).

The subject matter appealed to me from the get-go as I lived in Eastern Europe for 14 years, but Former Yugoslavia was the only part that I didn't get to see and so I was curious to find out more about it. However, the book was so entertaining that it could have been written about any journey and I would have enjoyed it just as much.

The writing style is hilarious. It reminded me of reading Loaded when Loaded was still new and funny (second half of the Nineties). The writer's blunt style is able to bring out the humour in just about any situation, even though his encounters weren't that out of the ordinary. It takes real comedic talent to see the humour in what is normally quite mundane situations.

The only negatives about the book are that the grammar is a bit messy and the formatting is all over the place, so bear that in mind if you're a bit of a pedant about such things.

If you're a fan of Lads' Mag-type humour though and travel writing in general, I am sure that this book will have you chuckling to yourself as it had me throughout the book.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2013 2:48 PM BST

How To Sell A Gazillion eBooks In No Time
How To Sell A Gazillion eBooks In No Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Parody, 27 Jan 2012
To really get the full humour in this book, you need to have read How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months! and preferably several other ebooks about how to slap a book out on Kindle which then has J.K. Rowling crying herself to sleep each night because of the competition.

There is delightfully savage wit throughout - very funny, but not for the fainthearted and easily offended.

Although a complete parody, the book is actually quite educational, especially in the chapter about writing skills. If you read this and do the exact opposite, then you'll have learnt more than most of the 'How to Write Well' type books in the market and will certainly find it a lot more entertaining.

My only criticism is that, as the previous reviewer has commented, it does drag a little in the middle (although picks up again at the end).

Maybe in the promised sequel, he will pick up on the trick where you just need to add a few lame photos or pieces of clipart in the book to bump up the file size to half a Meg and no one knows that they've bought a pamphlet rather than a full book.

Siberian Travels: An Oklahoma girl's journey from Moscow to the Sea of Japan (Oklahoma Girl's Adventures Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Journey, Not So Great Writing, 26 Jan 2012
I have a new-found respect for travel writers after reading this book. The good ones make it look so easy - go on an interesting journey and the book writes itself.

But not in this case. Although the writer went on a fascinating journey (at least to a russophile like myself) the book just comes out as being quite dull. It just reads like a typical American college student's account of what she did on her winter vacation.

There's not really any depth to the encounters at all - it's just a case of "we did that then we saw that and then we spoke to this guy and ate this," etc. I can understand that not every travel writer is lucky enough to go from one hilarious and fascinating encounter to another, but it would have been nice to maybe incorporate some interesting facts in with the journey which would also make it a little longer as well, as it only takes about 90 minutes to read.

I don't want to knock the author too hard though as she admits that the book is 11 years old and it was her first try at travel writing. I also have the utmost respect for the amount of Russian that she was able to pick up so quickly while she was studying.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9