Profile for monkey > Reviews

The Incredible Spice Men
The Incredible Spice Men
by Cyrus Todiwala

5.0 out of 5 stars spice up your life, 30 Sep 2013
It all started with the Tv show. My son watched an episode with me and enjoys cooking. We drooled!

After the programme had finished we set about finding the book, and happily for us Amazon had a spare.

The book is written with the same sense of humour and fun evidenced in the series. It is well laid out and the recipes are easy to follow, Both my husband and 13 year old son have cooked dishes and we have all been pleased with the results. Ingredients are readily available from supermakets with the exception of 'amchoor', but we do live in Northern Ireland.

I like the fact that this book is based on British dishes and how to use the correct mix of spice to enhance the flavour. For example, the use of cardamom and vanilla in a bread pudding . As both chefs point out that using spice does not always mean burning your mouth! Its British with a dash of Indian. Perfect.

I have also enjoyed reading the book, it is filled with little anecdotes about themseves and the people they met along their journey. My son found it very funny each time they asked someone if they could spice their dish. Everyone agreed, but were not happy, but were absolutely delighted with the end result. He wishes they would come and cook for us. We also found useful the info on spices, how to chose, buy and use,

All in all a great book, Highly recommended by me and worth its place on the shelf. I look forward to using for inspiration for years to come.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 27 April 2013
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I bought this book together with his new book Bread. This was after watching his fist episode on tv, with my children. I make bread with a mixture of success.

The book starts with the basics and explains how bread is made. For example I used to leave out salt. I now know that salt is important to glutin development. By using his teaching my bread has improved and now I have to make bread almost every day or I would not have any in the cupboard!

I have used a number of the reciepies and all work. Some can be started in a breadmaker and finished by hand which takes a lot of the effort out. They can even be adapted to suit taste or purse.

This book is for everyone who wants to make bread.

Paul Hollywood's Bread
Paul Hollywood's Bread
by Paul Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I bought this book after the first episode of his new series on television.

I have been making bread on and off for several years with mixed success. This book starts with basic bread and explains how to make. For example, previously I left out salt to try for a lower sodium diet, I did not know that salt helps the glutin develop. Myself and my children were inspired to try again. I have done several of the recipies now and all work. As with most recipies, some ingredients can be changed, to suit taste or purse.

I am now making bread every day. The wrap reciepe goes down well in lunch boxes and is extremely easy to make.

A lot of the breads can be started in a bread maker on dough setting and finished by hand.

I have a number of books on bread making and this is quite the best. The rest will be going.

English National Songs
English National Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: English National Songs (Audio CD)
I was given this Cd many years ago and lost it! I was so glad to find it again. All the old favourites in their oldest forms. Ie, slightly different words or music to they way they are sung today.

My son is learning about the Kings and Queens of England/Britain. I have let him listen to the 'Chapter of Kings' and now he has learnt them.

There are patriotic songs on this Cd together with folk. I feel they must be heard in context and as a reminder of who we were and are now.

Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual (Unofficial Manuals)
Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual (Unofficial Manuals)
by Philip Matyszak

5.0 out of 5 stars Queens Regs 42, 5 Oct 2010
All you need to know about joining the Roman Army! Where to get your kit, who to bribe and so much more. Its written in a lighthearted manner but is very factual.

I'm not sure if the author has military service, but great squaddie humour! I learnt a lot.

Riding & Music
Riding & Music
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars fun for you and your horse, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: Riding & Music (Audio CD)
I like the music on this Cd very much. Good mix of Marches and 'folky'. Nice steady beats which help with transitions and timing.

I have two large ponies, a 23 year old cob and a haflinger. Both seemed to enjoy working out to the music. They settled quite quickly and I was getting lovely top line and action. My cob mare seemed to almost dance to it.

Whilst I shall not be using the music all the time, it is a fun way of training and will remind them that there is music at shows.

The music is extremley well performed and I feel good value for money. If you do not like Army bands then this is not for you, but if you want to liven up a schooling session and have fun with your horses then do buy.

Shibari You Can Use: Japanese Rope Bondage and Erotic Macram: Japanese Rope Bondage and Erotic Macrame
by Lee "Bridgett" Harrington

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent fun, 27 Jun 2010
I bought this book for my husband. It is well written and the photos are nicly detailed. It is possible to easily recreate the lashings and knots used. Great advice throughout the book for everyones comfort and enjoyment.

The Survival Handbook in Association with the Royal Marines Commandos: Endurance Essentials for the Great Outdoors
by Colin Towell

5.0 out of 5 stars survival guides, 16 Nov 2009
Excellent book. Extremely well laid out and packed full of infomation. If you only buy one survival book this is it. I have bought many over the years and can honestly say I wish I had found this one first.

The chapters are in a logical order and cover every kind of situation that one may encounter outdoors, whether you enjoy a days hiking to full blown bushcraft.

This book was bought for a 10 year old boy and is not beyond his reach. Neither is it patronising, so can be easily enjoyed by all ages and sexes. Highly enjoyable.

The One That Got Away
The One That Got Away
by Chris Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars War history, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: The One That Got Away (Paperback)
Once again a very good book from a good author. lots of detail and infomation. Having been on patrol wet, cold and miserable myself, I could realy understand and feel his pain and fear. Whilst based on a true mission, It reads well flowing like a good story should. I didn't want to put it down.

He speaks very honestly about the lack of support after action, and this rings a lot of bells with me. I have nothing but admiration for him and all his companions. Its about time the public learnt about what goes on in the Army.