Profile for C. Ratcliffe > Reviews

Content by C. Ratcliffe

C. Ratcliffe "r4tty" (Manchester)

Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)
Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox360 wireless thing + Media Centre PC, 11 July 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ahh, at last. It took a while to get all the bits to talk to each other. I'm no techno wiz, but linking the two items together was reasonably straight forward, just disable (Norton Firewall) if you have it and away you go.

Xbox360 is great, fab games and great user interface makes life a doddle, but when you hook it up to a Media Centre PC, a whole new world opens up.

Record digital freeview television (if your TV card supports it), link in your iTunes, drop all your photos and home videos into media centre and away you go.

Simply put, the most user friendly way to organise your media into one, all be it, simple interface and location. A boon.

Well done Bill, you have my permission to take it easy, and disseminate some of your wealth to the people who really need it.

Have you taken the Michael in the past? yes, but hay, I'm in no position to give Billions to charity, if I was I would, so thank you.

Woken Furies (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Woken Furies (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, but not great., 8 Aug 2005
Having read three other Richard Morgan books, Broken Angles, Altered Carbon and Market Forces; I have to say in was a little disappointed with Woken Furies.
Broken Angels and Altered Carbon where good fun to read, nothing heavy at all, just a good read. Market Forces tackles a very interesting area and is worth a read if you are in anyway interested in Global Markets and the fores and against of each.
I found Woken Furies a little disjointed and mundane. If you like Kovacs it's worth a read, but it does not move things forward in respect of what we know about him. The action is of a slower pace than AC and BA, so if you are looking for the same fun as these you may be disappointed.
All in all it came across as, "I need to keep the publisher happy, and so I'll let them have this".
I am sure things will improve next time, well I hope so.

Childhood's End (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Childhood's End (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Arthur C. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply - Stunning and thought inspiring., 19 Jan 2004
Ok where to start. Hmm, well, er. I thought I had read SF works till I could read and learn no more. Yes I know, I do feel a prat, and will never make this assumption again. Ever.
I have been moved to tears, by books such as "Enders' Game" and "Speaker For The Dead", and gasped in awe at Alistair Reynolds "Revelation Space" books.
However this has to be added to "Speaker For The Dead" and Philip Pullmans "Dark Materials" trilogy as life changing reads.
You may well read "Childhood's End", and as i did for 30 minutes, stand outside, I finished it about 01:30 one saturday morning, and i cried my heart out. Does it have a happy ending, does it make you sad. Maybe, but it will, i hope, make you feel special.
If you read nothing else this, I say read this.