Profile for M. D. Hare > Reviews

Content by M. D. Hare

M. D. Hare "Mel" (London)

SONiVO SW100 Soundwave Rechargable Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Graphite Black
SONiVO SW100 Soundwave Rechargable Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Graphite Black
Offered by FoneM8store
Price: 17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and easy to use., 7 Sep 2014
This tiny (approx. 6 cm in diameter), lightweight speaker will plug into your laptop, iphone, ipod etc. and, once charged, will work for several hours - we used it on two consecutive evenings before recharging and it was still working at the end of the second evening so I'm not sure of its actual "lifetime" - it may be longer. Leads are supplied. There is no plug but it can be charged with a standard USB mains charger. It is great to take on holiday if you want to listen to music while optimizing space when travelling (i.e. keep the weight of your suitcase down). The sound quality is much better (less tinny, more bass) than on laptops You can sit outside and listen to music in the garden, or on your terrace/balcony without bothering other guests because although the sound quality is good, it isn't too loud if you are in a location where people are staying nearby. We had some problems with the Bluetooth (wireless) connection, but if you are prepared to use the lead to connect to your music system it is perfect.

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Such warmth, such humanity - why so few reviews?, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Myself and a friend accidentally discovered Cesaria Evora's music when one of her songs, "Carnaval De Sao Vicente", was being played at a restaurant we were visiting in France (I defy anyone not to want to get up and dance to that track, it's so joyful!). We "Shazamed" it and both bought this album on the basis of that one track alone. Since then, we've both bought some of her other albums. There is such warmth and musicality in her singing, and I am very sad that we did not discover her in time to see her perform live before she died (at the end of 2011).

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read but the characters are unsympathetic, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
This book was being raved about by people in my office so I bought it expecting a really good read, but was rather disappointed. Yes, it was easy to read, and it did hold my attention (just), but neither Nick nor Amy are attractive characters, so I had little sympathy with either of them. Amy (in her "initial" guise) is wet and left a rather nasty taste in the mouth. Her alter ago (apologies if this is a spoiler) is extremely unpleasant. Nick is cheap and rather vulgar - this may be intentional, given the plot line, but ultimately left me not caring much about the outcome of the story. I did, though, enjoy the idea of marriage as a battleground and some of the observations about the relationship were quite astute.

Church Mice Adrift (Church Mouse)
Church Mice Adrift (Church Mouse)
by Graham Oakley
Price: 5.62

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous book on all levels - as are all the Church Mice books, 18 Nov 2013
I read the Church Mice stories to my 3-5 year old son (when they were all in print!), who loved them, but unfortunately I gave them away (to a school) when he grew up. The characters are really well-developed and the illustrations brilliant. Picking out the inconsistencies between the illustrations and the text really helped my son to develop a sense of humour (and irony) at a very early age. More than 30 years later, I've bought the whole set (some second-hand) for my grandson and I started reading them to him when he was aged 3. Although initially the full "back-story" wasn't obvious to him, some simplification of the story meant that he began to "get" the jokes and to pick out details of the very funny pictures. He's now aged 5, and when I visit, he always wants us to read these books together. The Church Mice Adrift is probably his favourite (along with "The Church Mice Spread their Wings") because the story is hilarious, dramatic and just a little scary. These books are fabulous, and I can't recommend them enough.