Profile for K. Doig > Reviews

Content by K. Doig

K. Doig "verticalfailure" (Surrey, England)

Childcare First Aid Kit HSE Approved for Childminders
Childcare First Aid Kit HSE Approved for Childminders
Offered by Muzamedical

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price, 29 Oct 2013
I just completed a first aid course for children and was advised to buy a first aid kit and after a bit of research this was the kit that seem to cover a lot of the criteria that was mentioned in the course. It contains, amongst other things alcohol free wipes and also a mask to put over the face if you need to give CPR and there is blood on the person's face.

Was really pleased when it arrived as it contains everything that you might need, and also a guide of how to administer CPR.

A really great purchase, feel a bit more secure now that I have it in the home!

Testimony
Testimony
by Anita Shreve

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Testimony (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Anita Shreve's writing, I think she has a wonderful gift for story telling and her characters are generally quite complex and interesting; she has a wonderful turn of phrase. I loved her novel The Weight of Water, a beautifully written book, so reading the blurb on the back of this I found it quite an intriguing subject matter, one which I would be interested to hear crafted into a novel.

I found the opening pages quite graphic it immediately grabs your attention and admittedly my morbid curiosity. From there I think she builds quite an interesting tale, one with a few dark twists and turns along the way but ultimately very well handled by her. I think in another writer's hands this could have come off as very sensationalist and the characters may not have rung very true.

I think it is an interesting exercise in how scandals of this nature affect a community and then consequently the outside world. Some of the issues in this actually reminded me a bit of Lionel Shriver's Lionel Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin - who is responsible here, the parents, the child, the school, society in general?

I tend to agree with someone else who wrote a review on here who mentioned that Silas and Noelle's relationship was perhaps too mature to be believable yet I note that Shreve does tend to write her younger characters like that, with a matureness beyond their years. I think while I agree with this point I also still think it is believable within the context of the book.

I think this book raises several interesting questions, even right up until the final pages of the book as a reader there are several interesting situations that crop up, particularly the final point of view of one of the accused boys which serves well as a close to the book. I found my opinion of those involved constantly changing quite subtly in the book, not really noticeable until I had read the book in its entirety and put it down.

Definitely a good and worthwhile read. As with all of her books she draws you in very quickly and makes her it very hard to put down.

Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music
Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music
by Pamela Des Barres

2.0 out of 5 stars Rock Bottom Indeed, 3 Jun 2011
I really wanted to like this, I really did. I loved Pamela Des Barres' I'm With The Band. I've constantly gone back to it and re-read it and enjoyed it every time but I was seriously disappointed with this.

I think she suffers a little from loving her subjects too much. I found the chapter on Kurt Cobain read as though Courtney Love were standing over her and making sure she portrayed her in a favourable light.

Sometimes I think putting tragic rock stars on a pedestal just doesn't work. Maybe that's my whole problem with the book. Sid Vicious in particular had problems that no one could ever really understand I think and idolising someone who was essentially a very bad bass player, with a very serious drug problem just doesn't seem right to me.

If you're looking for an insight into what Sid Vicious was like or who he was, I would watch Julien Temple's The Filth & The Fury or read Johnny Rotten's No Blacks No Irish No Dogs. Anything else just doesn't come close.

I think I missed her wit and humour in this. The heavy and serious tone of it doesn't work. Countless of books have been written on these people, it's going over old ground a bit and you need to find a new slant on it all to make it interesting.

The Shipping News
The Shipping News
by Annie Proulx

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Shipping News (Paperback)
This was a book I had been meaning to read for a while as it is a book which often crops uop in recommendations on here and for me and looked quite interesting. I enjoy stories about families and quirky tales of life and all it throws at us.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. I think the key to a book particularly in a story like this, is that you need to root for the main character. I found Quoyle quite an irritating downtrodden fool.

When he meets his first wife it takes such an immense amount of suspension of disbelief to ever believe that these two would ever get together, so far flung apart are their personalities.

As the story moves to Newfoundland I think I found it quite hard to relate to the characters. There were some interesting moments and one particular incident (the party in the caravan) that almost raised a smile but other than that I found it dfifficult to believe, as a few others on here have mentioned, that this book received so much praise. I felt that some of the more interesting areas weren't really explored.

The aunt's character and her past and background was very lightly touched on when I think she had a very interesting story. The cousin as well also had a very dark and scary past yet he arrives in the book a little too late for him to really make that much of an impact. The children as well, who start off to be very difficult and resentful towards Quoyle, change over the course of the book into happier more well adjusted kids and that isn't ever really explored as much as you would like either.

I think it was a book with potential and I felt I was constantly waiting for the potential to be fulfilled. I did quite like the ending, although it did peter out a little and didn't have a feeling that everything was properly resolved, although you do feel that perhaps Quoyle's story was resolved which is one good thing I guess.

Grania: She-King of the Irish Seas
Grania: She-King of the Irish Seas
by Morgan Llywelyn

3.0 out of 5 stars An epic tale..., 15 May 2009
I loved the Finn MacCool book also written by Morgan Llewellyn so turned to this book to discover more about another famous Irish hero and was slightly disappointed. I found it took a long time to get going.

There was a lot of background to take in in the first half of the book and not nearly enough action. The opening scene is very dramatic but I found that after that it went down a gear and took a long time to get going again. It is very well written though and I love the drama of it all. It makes the book very visual and it makes Grania seem very real as well as her men and her country.

With all the fuss in recent times of Elizabeth and Henry VIII it really was great to hear the Irish perspective and put the British/Irish history into context.You hope if they ever make a film of it that they do it justice. I loved the theme throughout hte book of Grania firstly hating Elizabeth then coming to respect her whilst still managing to retain her own dignity and glory.

An inspiring read if at first a little disappointing but proves that it isn't only Johnny Depp that came make pirates exciting once again.

Set List
Set List

5.0 out of 5 stars Live & Loving It, 11 Nov 2004
This review is from: Set List (Audio CD)
For anyone who is a veteran of Frames gigs this is the album that we have been waiting for, the one that captures that whole magic of Frames lives shows, the banter the classic moments the off the cuff improvisations; but is an absolute must for new fans or people who have yet to see the band live and also for the curious.
Recorded in Dublin in November 2002 over four shows in Vicar Street it is essentially a greatest hits selection which takes you from that shivers down your spine opening moment as the roar of the crowd builds up as the band take the stage and kick in with 'Revelate' to the fantastic epic closure of 'Fitzcarraldo' - even the encore is captured here as Glen Hansard returns to the stage to perform 'The Blood'(the only song here that does not appear on any of their studio albums), complete with audience participation which cannot fail to move even the most cynical listener.
A great studio band are turned into a phenomenal live act during the course of 13 songs, some outstanding and beautiful moments both loud and quiet often provided by the marvellous Colm Mac Con Iomaire's fiddle which cuts right to the heart during songs like 'Your Face' and builds up to a crescendo during 'Fitzcarraldo' and after Hansard's "I will eclipse you" morphs into an absolute frenzy to which the crowd immediately repsond with roars of delight, Joe Doyle's harmonies throughout add a more gentle edge to a lot of the songs and Dave Hingerty who - performing towards the end of his Frames career really proves his mettle here, as is evident on songs such as 'Santa Maria' and 'Fitzcarraldo'. Also Rob Bochnik the most recent addition via Chicago (the city not the band!) wows the crowd by proving just how much work he has put into learning and putting his own spin on the songs.
Also worth mentioning are the live favourites 'Revelate', 'Pavement Tune' and 'God Bless Mom' which dig deep into the bands earlier rock roots but which then easily morph into the more dreamy laid back delights of 'Lay Me Down' (complete with Johnny Cash tribute), 'Star Star', 'Santa' Maria and as mentioned before 'Your Face'. But I think the highlight here has to be 'What Happens When The Heart Just Stops', a heartbreakingly beautiful song which is recieved by the audience with a hushed awe as Hansard seems to rip out his own heart on stage as he sings of disappointment and lost love. Maybe perhaps another track of the outstanding For The Birds is missing from this collection, perhaps 'Friends and Foe' or 'Headlong' but other than that an utterly flawless performance.
It is not only the band you have to listen to on this record to realise just how talented and how deserving they are of the accolade of being the best live act in Ireland, but you hear it in the audiences response, in the cheers and the laughter and the singing along all of which is beautifully captured on this album. Five stars and no doubt about it.