Profile for El Capitano > Reviews

Content by El Capitano

El Capitano

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not 100% sure how to work the auto swap function from the instructions but I have used it manually and it works great. If so, 24 Sept. 2015
This works very well. I was somewhat daunted by it when it arrived. That said; followed the basic instructions carefully and it worked surprisingly well. I'm not 100% sure how to work the auto swap function from the instructions but I have used it manually and it works great. If someone would invent an app button for quick selection of which sim you want to use it would be very nice. You have a few menus in the settings to navigate to get to the sim swap/ switch number function. When you do switch it takes around 30-40 seconds to fire up the new sim. Anyway - high quality product. I WASN'T given a free sample to test it so this is a true review. If you want something to stop you having to fiddle with swapping sims or carrying multiple phones then this does the job nicely. Recommended

Breville TECHnique VIN258 Digital Steam Iron - 2,750 Watts
Breville TECHnique VIN258 Digital Steam Iron - 2,750 Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round iron!, 7 Jan. 2013
I ordered this iron initially as a compromise. I had previously tried a steam generator type iron and was impressed at the effectiveness and speed but could not justify the outlay for the amount of ironing we do as a family. The Breville came up on a deal and the reviews seemed very positive, as did the specification so I went for it. The first thing you notice when taking the iron out of the box is the cable, which is nice and long plus also a thick and good quality material - because it has been folded up in the box I'd advise straightening it out properly or it will have kinks in it for a while. The water resevoir is big too, which is a plus as you don't have to keep refilling it every 2 minutes. Instead of the rotating 'click wheel' type temperature selection I am used to, you use digital up/down buttons to select the temerature setting up or down and the setting is nice and visible on a blue LCD type screen.

The iron itself is quite heavy, but it feels nice to hold and runs smoothly over clothes. It heats up very quickly and gives an audible beep when it is at the correct temperature to let you know it is ready. Another thing I have noticed is that if you leave the iron 'inactive' for a few minutes (haven't timed it) then it will beep 3 times every minute or so (again, didn't time it) to alert you to the fact you have left it switched-on. The beep is loud enough to hear from another room so it seems to be a good safety feature as my other half is always worrying about leaving things switched on!

The sole plate itself is a very shiny black finish. After a few days of using the iron it is still (very) shiny - it looks so shiny though I can't see it staying that way forever. The steam function is very effective and the iron certainly has reduced the time it take to do a cotton shirt.

One last point which is by no means a complaint - probably just me getting used to using the iron - the lowest setting of the iron (on previous irons it is an icon of an iron with one dot on it - usually reserved for silk or very delicate fabrics) is that it is very low / cool. Even on silk I had to knock it up one notch to get it to take the creases out. There seems to be a good level of temperature control on the iron so it is probably a positive feature and will save you burning-through fabrics. As with all devices you get used to the settings you use the most!

To summarize: A very solid feeling and looking iron with some nice features and temperature control. Good steaming, long cable, ample water resevoir. Do I wish I had gone for a steam generator ironing system instead? NO! This does the job for us just fine at a much more resonable cost. I have only had the iron a few days and so I cannot comment upon it's long-term reliability - however in terms of functionality and practicality I am very happy with this and I would recommend it.

XMI X-mini KAI Bluetooth Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3/Laptop - Black
Offered by NEENUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice at a price!, 11 July 2012
I bought this having seen a friend's non-bluetooth version and, being thoroughly impressed and it being on special offer I decided to go for it. The packaging is nice, a transparent solid plastic case - looks and feels good quality. The sound is comparable to the non-bluetooth version - that is, impressive for the size (but not room filling deep bass). I will use it for travel and for conference calls. I was impressed at the speed and simplicity to hook it up to the ipad and the blackberry. Phone calls sound nice - not tinny. The all-in-one controls for the volume on the speaker itself also double-up as the track skip and play/pause, so it is a little fiddly until you figure out how much pressure and how long to hold the button before it changes the volume instead of skipping the track on the ipad; probably easier to do it on the ipad or other media player rather than the speaker.... but still quite a nice little feature. The speaker looks good - I'm not exactly sure what the little 'hole' protruding from the case is for... maybe a carry strap... I won't be using that as the little sticky-out bit looks too flimsy for that function but the rest of the unit is very solid - if you look at the picture here you'll see what I mean. So - the sound is good for the size and if you need the bluetooth feature for telephone calls then I would recommend it, especially if you can find it at a reduced price as it seems a lot of money for something so small. If you don't need the bluetooth then just go for the wired one and save yourself a lot of money. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and would recommend this item for gadget nuts who want a tiny little wireless speaker!

Glass Swords
Glass Swords
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice CD - inspired me to review!, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Glass Swords (Audio CD)
I feel inspired to write a review after listening to this CD a few times now. I am not much of a writer and I don't suppose or propose to do any other reviews unless something very unusually good comes along. The other reviews capture some of the qualities of the music. Yes - it is very glossy. Some of the synth sounds used will remind you of the 80's, some will remind you of rave hoovers and some are just plain crazy.

I was stuck in a traffic jam having just purchased this, so I put it into the CD player..... the cars in front and behind must have thought I was having a fit or something. I was smiling all the way home and listened to it around three times - although arrived home with a bit of a headache.

I suspect this CD will be like Marmite to many - you'll either love it or hate it. I found the tunes intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable. The production is crisp, I find the tempo a good 'head nodding' tempo and the sounds and instrumentation are crazy (but not in my opinion a mess). It is very noisy and full-on / relentless but for me personally very very enjoyable. Not normally the type of music I listen to at all - and I suspect there aren't too many other albums like this around.

Thank-you Rustie for doing something different that put a smile on my face!