ARRAY(0xa82950d8)

United We Stand
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 3.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Dubious collection of re-recorded songs, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: United We Stand (Audio CD)
This review is of the hits collection called "United We Stand", not of the first album of Brotherhood of Man with the same title. Its ironic they have the same title because no original recordings are included in this collection ... in tiny print on the rear of the CD Hallmark (same company as the greetings cards?) inform us that the CD includes re-recordings.

None of the band's hits are in original versions here, but they are by no means bad versions of them, just different. Save Your Kisses For Me is the least offensive of the re-recordings, and Angelo is probably the worst with messy background music, lack of range and truncated vocals in places. Truncated vocals are also in evidence in the re-recorded Figaro, making the songs sound less Abba-like than the originals. The re-recorded song listed as Oh Boy (the Mood I'm In) begins as My Sweet Rosalie, and switches mid-song into Oh Boy. Again, it works, but I would have preferred two separate songs!

Most of the other material comprises of Brotherhood of Man cover versions of other people's hits, eg Puppy Love by Donny Osmond, Tie A Yellow Ribbon by Dawn - and some of them are very short versions only a minute or two in length. This is why it would be interesting to know the origins of these songs. I have a hunch that they were recorded as one of those newspaper freebies at some stage.

On the plus side, its cheap, short and dare I say it, very enjoyable. In parts I wondered whether its actually Brotherhood of Man singing on this CD, or a tribute band, but overall after careful listening, I am pretty certain its them. The re-recordings of United We Stand and Where Are You Going To My Love, which were never sung by the Brotherhood of Man of the Save Your Kisses For Me era, are interesting to compare with the very different vocals, and rather more passionate delivery, of the original versions.

So, overall an interesting and fun CD but not for purists who are looking for a comprehensive and serious collection of BOM originals, which unfortunately at the moment is just not available! As a stop-gap until that time, not a bad investment.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2012 5:30 PM BST

The Best of Kc and the Sunshine Band
The Best of Kc and the Sunshine Band
Offered by rbmbooks
Price: 28.67

5.0 out of 5 stars That's The Way I Like It!, 10 Dec 2010
This appears to be the only KC and the Sunshine Band hits compilation which includes the No.1 UK hit "Give It Up" alongside all their more available other hits. Absolutely delicious to hear these songs again, which remind me of teenage clubbing days in the late 70s! There are a few here I didn't recognise from their titles and know that they were by KC but are very familiar, so a real treat.

This is some of the best disco/funk music from its era, and sounds just as good today.

Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Stylistics compilation, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is probably the best of the many Stylistics compilations, because in addition to including all the UK hits this CD adds their additional American hits too. These are better known in the UK as songs by Diana Ross who covered them, but the original Stylistics versions of songs like "You are Everything" and "Stop, Look, Listen to your Heart" are outstanding.

The songs here aren't placed chronologically which is perhaps a criticism, but it does help make the album more listenable. As far as I'm concerned, their earlier material sounds much better than most of the later, which occasionally grate. By mixing up the chronology, the softer soulful earlier songs help to reduce the stridency of the later.

For a Friend: The Best of Bronski Beat, The Communards & Jimmy Somerville
For a Friend: The Best of Bronski Beat, The Communards & Jimmy Somerville
Price: 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Jimmy Somerville compilation, 20 April 2010
This is probably the best of the three Bronski Beat/Communards/Jimmy Somerville compilations, spread over 2 CDs in nice presentation box with good sleeve notes too. These were radical songs in the 80s/90s pop charts, mainly because of the bold gay lyrics, sometimes political but more often love songs addressed to same-sex partners; still rare today and therefore of equal importance for the modern gay community. I bought this collection because of the more recent material included, such as the wonderful US Dance Chart topper "Heartbeat", the delicious "By Your Side" and the ultra-camp "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of you", plus the extended versions of major hits such as Don't Leave Me This Way and especially the excellent San Paulo mix of "Never Can Say Goodbye". Its a shame that Bronski Beat's terrific post-Jimmy song "Hit That Perfect Beat" (a big hit) and Jimmy's minor hit "Hurts So Good" aren't included, but this is the most comprehensive collection available to date. Even the less familar songs are very catchy, but the best material remains the early Bronski Beat songs, which have a darker and more soulful feel than the Communards and Jimmy's solo material. Very pleased by the inclusion of the Doors cover "People Are Strange" in which Jimmy loses his falsetto as he did in the early Bronski Beat song "Junk"; however I think his voice remains strong and possibly richer in the later recordings, although these are less well known.

Price: 17.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Sam Fox hits collection, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This collection sounds great, really punchy sound, catchy songs and strong vocals from our Sam. Intelligent choice of songs because it includes delicious minor hits like I'm all you need and True Devotion as well as the better known songs such as Touch Me and Nothings Gonna Stop Me. I only really knew her from those bigger hits and the quality of the other material was quite a surprise. Especially enjoy the inclusion of Santa Maria, which I knew but didn't realise was a Sam Fox hit! Great to dance and sing-a-long to, uplifting and Sam herself is an intriguing mix of big-breasted Page 3 girl come successful pop star come real-life outed lesbian and gay icon. How did she manage all that? Without doubt, a child of our times.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent USB Plug Adapter, 5 Mar 2010
I bought this so I could charge my ipod touch when I was in the Canaries on holiday (using a Euro socket adapter) but I am using it all the time for charging all my appliances which come with measley USB cables instead of proper 3 point plugs, because it works so efficently. Charges my ipod very quickly. It is very light-weight so great for packing on holiday, but seems strong enough and actually looks quite smart in its pure white Apple-friendly colour! Only costs a couple of pounds so I would have no hesitation recommending it as the USB charger to buy.

Apple iPod touch 8GB (Model A1288 launched Sept 2008)
Apple iPod touch 8GB (Model A1288 launched Sept 2008)

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, 18 Feb 2010
Like the iphone before it, the ipod touch is missing some fairly obvious features. The iphone missed stereo sound, a radio, ability to transfer photos and music to/from it by bluetooth, multi-tasking and flexibility to use other software/formats (notably Windows Media Player) to transfer music/video to it, and ability to be a standalone product not requiring a computer; and in addition to these drawbacks the ipod touch misses out on a camera, GPS and microphone. I wouldn't expect the touch to include telephone capabilities.

As you have to have a computer in addition to the ipod touch in order for it to work, it is particularly unfortuntate that Apple also stipulate that you must use their memory hungry, slow, inflexible and cumbersome itunes software to transfer your music, videos and photos to your ipod touch.

Given these considerable shortcomings, in use the ipod touch remains a lovely product to use. The wifi (which I mainly purchased it for) works like a dream, very fast and the interface is so fluid and easy to use, with lovely little helpful aids like automatic spell correction, a screen large enough to view and read full-size web pages without great difficulty. Thousands of applications are available for the ipod touch (as for the iphone) and many are free of charge.

The music capabilities of the ipod touch are surprisingly unexceptional given that this is its main reason for being, certainly inferior to nokia's more flexible version on their phones.

It is a shame that GPS wasn't included on the iphone touch, so you can only use the link to Google maps in a wifi zone, so not when you are out and about. This is typical of the mean-spiritied approach Apple adopt with the product, to encourage users to buy their far more expensive iphone instead, as that includes GPS.

So is it worth buying? Overall, yes I think it is, especially the cheaper 8GB version. The ipod touch is a pleasure to use, but it is not a pleasure to connect it up to a computer (as you must) for transfering new songs/video/apps to it using the rotten itunes software and the necessity for all material transferred to ipod touch being in Apple's own format, not Windows Media Player/standard MP3/MP4 format generally available elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2010 11:52 AM BST

Absolute Greatest
Absolute Greatest
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 18.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Queen Compilation, 19 Nov 2009
This review is from: Absolute Greatest (Audio CD)
Although I already have the three Greatest Hits compilations, I love the idea of a single CD spanning Queen's entire career, from Seven Seas of Rye to These Are The Days Of Our Lives. I am impressed by the choices made here, being a little nervous that delicate and moving songs like These Are The Days Of Our Lives would be missed out, but instead they have missed out the hits I like least, Fat Bottom Girls, Bicycle Race, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Tie Your Mother Down. The exclusion of Innuendo is the only jarring note, and possibly Now I'm Here. However, to include a long song such as Innuendo would mean cutting two of the other songs included and I'm glad that didn't happen because I think I prefer all the songs included to Innuendo. All in 2009 digital restored versions, superb. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys listening to Queen.

Celebration (2 CD)
Celebration (2 CD)
Price: 8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation from Madonna, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Celebration (2 CD) (Audio CD)
I love Madonna's music and this is a fantastic double CD of highlights from her long career. Her previous compilations have been in broadly chronological order, but I enjoy the apparently haphazard order of songs on Celebration, as each song comes on unexpectedly and has the element of surprise. Of course, its not a haphazard order at all, Madonna has given the order alot of thought as she does with everything in her life and career. She is a true artist and goes with her gut instinct. I really enjoy her two new songs, Revolver and Celebration; they are fresh and unlike her other work; just as Justify My Love and Rescue Me were on The Immaculate Collection.

There are some complaints about the songs missed out on this collection, but Madonna has had too many hits to fit onto a double CD and commercial considerations might put a triple CD collection at a time of recession out of the pockets of many people. I think the choices here are good. I would personally have preferred True Blue, Give It To Me and This Used To Be My Playground to Everybody, Burning Up and Cherish but I can manage without them. I know that this compilation will be on my CD player at home and in my car for years to come. Thank you Madonna.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 3:51 PM GMT

Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Madonna
Price: 10.62

5.0 out of 5 stars What we've all been waiting for!, 5 Oct 2009
An excellent and comprehensive collection of Madonna's videos, far more satisfactory than the Immaculate Collection video I had before. Although the first 5 videos have a grainy quality the colours are stronger than before, and the sound quality on my Sony 40inch TV is fantastic, loud and powerful. I have read some complaints on here that the videos aren't fully widescreen and the quality is poor, but they are all widescreen on my TV and apart from the older videos mentioned above, and I Want You, they all look great. There are a few hits missing, such as This Used To Be My Playground, and I would have preferred the uncensored Justify My Love (black bars across the dominatrix's breasts) and Erotica (bars across Madonna in a nude scene), but I can live with these ommissions. Don't hesitate ... treat yourself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11