Profile for Agnostic Duck > Reviews

If
If
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's Glass Hammer. No - it's Yes?, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: If (Audio CD)
Following the weak and insipid "Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted" and the lack lustre "Culture of Ascent"; this picks things up a little. But it sounds like a Yes facsimile; as the previous reviewer quite rightly says - Glass Hammer sound like Yes. However, they were at one point developing their own identity which culminated in the wonderful, "Inconsolable Secret"; Glass Hammer's zenith, in my humble opinion.
Now, they carbon copy Yes, with an Anderson sound-a-like, (called Jon Davison), a guitarist who plays a la Howe and Steve Babb has gone all Chris Squire. Of course, Fred Schendel does Moraz, Wakeman and Kaye all in one.
This is NOT a bad album and leans heavily on the 70s prog sound, but it has little originality and I though GH amounted to more than that?
Wonderful weird titles like "Beyond Within" and "Behold, The Ziddle"; to end with "If The Stars" and "If The Sun" - mmmm?
There are 3 longish tracks, 2 shortish tracks and a 24 minute finale!
It's okay, but do not expect innovation or originality. It is well performed and sounds clean - but it sounds like Yes played by Glass Hammer.

Angelfire
Angelfire

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay . . . !, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Angelfire (Audio CD)
Okay . . . . dp fan is NOT impressed.
But one has to take this at face value. Steve Morse - amazing and very flexible guitarist with the lovely voice of Ms Spencer; and she has a lovely voice!
This is a gentle CD/album; it is pleasant; generally unassuming and quite easy on the ear. The musicianship is very good and I find it very agreeable.
Don't expect hard rocking or fret shredding; this is the other side of Mr Morse - he is very adaptable.
If you want (fairly), easy listening combined with skillful performances, then this is worth a shot!
I'm a fan of Steve Morse and have followed him through Dixie Dreggs, his own band, Deep Purple and Kansas - he IS good!
This is new and refreshing! I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live In Montreux 2003
Live In Montreux 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb live performance, 17 Nov. 2010
I really do not want to waste time.
You know Yes. They are (and they deserve this), music legends. 40 years and going strong.
They have their critics and have taken a pasting over the years; but by golly they have survived with honours.
After 32/33 years in the business (at the time of this recording); they kick some.
This is a spectacular set from the 'old guys'!!!!
All the favourites with some interesting pieces from "Magnification".
For goodness sake - if you like Yes; then you'll love this set. We've heard it all before but it is great to hear it again.
What I particularly like about this is the "intimacy" of the gig; it feels homely somehow and I think that is what makes it SO good!
Great concert!

A Jazz Fusion Tribute: Return to Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra
A Jazz Fusion Tribute: Return to Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm? Okay - but 'samey'., 17 Nov. 2010
Good playing and sincere performances - supposedly a tribute to the Fusion greats - like Mahavishnu, RTF and Weather Report.
BUT - it sounds very repetitive and it is often difficult to tell who they are paying tribute to?
However; it is quite pleasant and fairly easy on the ear - so, if you like a bit of gentle Jazz Fusion, you could do worse.
It's okay and good to have in the background, but do not go out of your way!

Passchendaele [Blu-ray] [2008]
Passchendaele [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Paul Gross
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, despite what others might say!!, 11 Nov. 2010
I have noted the many negative reviews and feel this deserves better.
It is hard and stark - the war scenes are quite amazing. Mud and blood everywhere; but never gratuitous.
The "back storyline" gives it balance. (Well a bit of romance amidst the horror is fairly welcome!)
It is not just another war film. It focuses on the terrible losses experiences by our Canadian allies. Man for man, these losses were far more devastating than our own. Of course - one is too many!!
Out of population of a mere 8 million, (ours was 46 million) they lost around 67,000 persons!
Fine directing, writing and acting from Paul Gross with a fine support cast.
Five stars might be a bit OTT but I am saddned by the way it appears to have been panned.
WW1 was horrendous and crippling for all sides, I am just pleased to see a Canadian film highlighting Canada's amazing contribution.
Great effort and worth watching - although not "easy".

More Than a Dream
More Than a Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars 10!, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: More Than a Dream (Audio CD)
I cannot give this 10 stars but its worth it!
These guys are amazing - the way they blend so many styles into their work is quite brilliant.
There is so much going on - it is soulful, jazzy, funky and rocky; all perfectly pieced together to form a wonderful complete work.
Two excellent examples of this are "Justify" and "Take Good Care"; they weave a delightful patchwork of style and genre.
Unitopia hail from Australia - so I understand - and simply excel in what they do. This was their debut album and what a debut!
I feel confident about recommending this band - if you like well executed rock with lots of twists, they are for you! A+++++

Live At Montreux 2003
Live At Montreux 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Four or five? Great performances!, 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2003 (Audio CD)
I have been "hovering" over this for some time. Then - I took the plunge and am glad I did.
I suppose the "classic" Yes Live is Yessongs". However, what I really like about this is the feeling of more intimacy. Less arena and more "Town Hall. But do not get the wrong impression - the sound is very good!
The "classic" (I'm going to wear that word out!), Yes line-up performing some "classic" Yes material. But to my old ears, this sounds tighter. I'll forgive Mr Anderson's bit of fun with "We Have Heaven" - in the main the band is running hot.
The songs are just too well known to go over and over them but there is a freshness here; the guys seem really comfortable.
I cannot let "Awaken" go - one of my real favourites; and here they turn on the power with a spectacular performance! Then again "Magnification" sounds good and I am less familar with some of this material - the same with "In The Presence Of" - they do inject a bit of variety.
I could go to five stars but will settle for 4 as it is - in many ways - "Greatest Hits".
Whatever - I am glad I have this now and the band plays on!

X
X

5.0 out of 5 stars It marks the spot, 3 Sept. 2010
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
A truly welcome and significant return by the band who for some strange reason appear to struggle when it comes to "making it".
They are a great band and this recording displays their considerable talent wonderfully.
Excellent playing - strong songs with articulate arrangements. SB are a seasoned and very experienced band and this is one of their strongest statements yet.
Forget that Neal Morse "was in the band" - he's gone and they have moved on; in fact, I'll really stick my neck out say they are stronger and better!
A really good rock album from a band who believe in what they do and stick to their guns.
Nick D'Virgilio - a very good and highly respected drummer AND a pretty fair vocal lead. Alan Morse - is a darn good guitarist who doesn't hold back here. Dave Meros - has a wonderfully fluid bass style and with NDV makes up a fantastic rhythm section. Then - Ryo Okumoto, who doesn't always get the credit he deserves - his "Hammond" sound is great and he mixes Mellotron, Synth and Piano with consummate ease.
"X" is a very welcome return and they are on form. Like it!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2011 12:25 PM GMT

One Among The Living
One Among The Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb., 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: One Among The Living (Audio CD)
I picked up this because of my curiosity about Jon Andersons stand-in/replacement in Yes - a certain Benoit David.
Well - I would never have believed anyone could close to the unassailable Mr A, but David has an amazing voice and here it is in all its glory!
Mystery is the "brain-child' of Michael St Pere who basically does a bit of everything and, what's more, does it well!
Starting off with some playful "sound games" on the opener - Among the Living" it settles in a gentle way, before getting a little more upbeat on "Wolf", a clear and very melodic song giving full rein to David's voice.
Then "Between Love and Hate" - again starting quite acoustically but gradually building up to yet another wonderfully melodic composition; akin to the very best in AOR - richly orchestrated and structured.
"Until the Truth Comes Out" - begins with a more "orchestral" feel then just builds and builds over its 9+ minutes.
"Kameleon Man" begins in a more 'funky' way with a strong drum and bass back-drop; then it gets quite rocky.
"Through Different Eyes" is one piece in six parts and I can find no weakness in its glorious 22+ minute length. It peaks in the middle with the anthemic "So far Away" - David once again in full flight.
The title track now with its eerie entry and tribal drum beats gradually developing into a tour de force rock piece.
"The Falling Man" is a great slice of Prog Rock and captures the genre with a mix of pace and power.
Finishing with "Sailing on a Wing" - we get the bonus of Daryl Stuermer guesting on guitar.
This is an EXCELLENT album and if Yes are not making an album with Benoit David - they're fools; he is awesome.
NO - I'm not giving up on Jon; and never would but he's not interested in Yes at - the moment!

Terra Incognita: A Line in the Sand
Terra Incognita: A Line in the Sand

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite a transformation from the first part!, 11 Aug. 2010
. . And I am not keen!
As "Mr H" says this IS more rock - it IS 'heavier' and more brash and I'm afraid that having enjoyed the first CD - this is just too must for me.
I should have been a bit more cautious because of Henning Pauly who plays everything. I do not doubt his skills but, to me, it just sounds messy in places - in fact, there are times when it just sounds like a noise.
In my opinion (and it is just that); this lacks the cohesion and vision of "Beyond the Horizon", I guess I prefered the "proginess" of that.
I love Steve Walsh and Kansas are one of my all-time favourite bands but his talents are wasted.
The sum it up - this is too heavy for my liking and I acknowledge that does not make it bad; I also worry when one man plays all; there's no sense of "band" - the interactivity is missing.
Personally - I am disappointed and will stick with "Beyond the Horizon".
You can't win them all and I'm sure others will love it!

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20