Profile for Agnostic Duck > Reviews

Content by Agnostic Duck

Agnostic Duck (Gloucestershire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
JETech® Gold Slim-Fit Smart Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (7 Inch) Tablet PC (Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Black)
Offered by JEDirect UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 13 Jan. 2016
Good product at excellent price - just the job. Thanks

Dark Sky Island
Dark Sky Island
Offered by MediaMine

3.0 out of 5 stars but this sounds like the last one and the one before that, 23 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Dark Sky Island (Audio CD)
Well - that's about it. "It's okay".
Sorry - but Enya hasn't really done anything 'original' for a long time. Maybe my hearing is diminishing with age, but this sounds like the last one and the one before that.
I remember the first time I heard "Celts" and thinking WOW! But, as time passes, I have struggled to put up with what I see as mere repetition.
It's the usual formulaic soundscapes with multi-layered voice and instrumentation that are the trademark of Enya.
I think it can be summed up by quoting a few of the other reviews - "what we have come to expect"; and that is now the problem for me, I feel as if I know what's coming. For the next album - and I hope there is one - be brave Enya; be brave! Glass half full, I'm afraid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2015 9:24 PM GMT

Delusion Rain
Delusion Rain

4.0 out of 5 stars New vocalist but still the same wonderful sound., 3 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Delusion Rain (MP3 Download)
I am writing this assuming that the reader is familiar with the music of this excellent Canadian band.
For those who are not - well, in a nutshell; excellent and finely tuned Prog Rock - great musicianship throughout.
Perhaps like other Mystery aficionados, I was concerned about the departure of "the voice"; the marvellous Benoit David.
Be not alarmed - his replacement fits in beautifully; Jean Pageau even sounds quite like Benoit. Concern happily dispelled!
Under the steady and extremely competent leadership of Michel St-Pere, the band almost carry on where they left off with "The World Is A Game".
With 6 tracks running between 6 and nearly 20 minutes, I can't really find a weak one; it's a good package.
Benoit Dupuis on keyboards, Francois Fournier on bass, Sylvain Moineau on guitars and Jean-Sébastien Goyette on drums make for a superb line up.
A very fine album and a worthy addition to the Mystery collection. Marking very hard - I decided not to go for 5 stars but a very respectable 4.
I am sure if you like Mystery, you will not be disappointed. If you are new - then this isn't a bad starting point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2015 2:40 PM GMT

Better Late Than Never
Better Late Than Never

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't sure like this - but I DO!, 26 Sept. 2015
Great! I really like it.
Sort of Yes meets EWF meets Santana - loosely speaking.
A good tight band who play very well together. They are:
Jamie Glaser on guitars
Wally Minko on keyboards
Baron Browne on bass
And Mr Ponty and Mr Anderson, of course!
These guys enhance and enrich their "legendary leaders" - there is plenty of space for them to complement Anderson and Ponty.
Opening with an "Intro" (!!) - a sort of warm up, they confidently work through "One in the Rhythm of Hope" and "A is for Aria" - nothing standout but smoothly delivered.
Then a lively version of - (of course) "Owner of a Lonely Heart".
The next track of real interest is a funky reggae-ish version of Time and a Word", which I really like!
"Wonderous Stories" follows soon after - performed with due deference to the original.
I'm not going to go track-by-track but the Yes tracks obviously attract attention and "Roundabout" is treated with playful gusto.
This "union" (no pun intended), in my very humble opinion - has worked, and worked well. Quite frankly, I hope that APB II might materialize one day!
I wish I wasn't the first reviewer in some ways but someone has to be! And, this is my take. A very pleasant surprise and a job well done.
Jon, Jean Luc, Wally, Baron and Jamie - nice one!!

Four Pieces
Four Pieces

4.0 out of 5 stars She who dares!, 16 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Four Pieces (MP3 Download)
This is something I discovered quite chance.
This talented young lady is, in my opinion, brave and daring. She also has a gift.
My attention was drawn to the first piece "Fantasia" - an interpretation of the brilliant and stunning "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis."<br/>
I have an affinity with it for a variety of reasons and my first thought was "how dare she?"
But it works - Cailyn holds it together, somehow. She who dares . . . .!
She maintains the emotion of the piece and its fundamental integrity.
Generally I was impressed. I did find the "drums" a little overbearing and intrusive at times BUT it did not affect the overall enjoyment.
The other works are classical interpretations done in a similar style - "Largo" for Dvorak’s New World Symphony, Adagio is an intense interpretation of Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings; whilst "Nocturne" is an original composition.
Cailyn impresses me - this take some courage and a considerable amount of musical skill; she seems to have more than enough of both.
Docked a star - which might a little harsh - because of the "drum work". BUT well worth a listen; indeed, well worth the purchase!!!!

Vortex [2CD]
Vortex [2CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected - Neal and Co on fine form, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Vortex [2CD] (Audio CD)
Some superb guitar work (as one might expect from the former Santana & Journey man) - excellent fret work shifting from full on power to more subtle passages. Surely you expect nothing else from such an experienced musician.
This follows on from "The Calling" which seemed to have gone down pretty well.
Once again joined by stalwart sticksman and former Journey band-mate - Steve Smith, with Igor Len(?) on keyboards once more. He is augmented by another Journey-Man - Jonathan Cain on keyboards and the "legendary" Jan Hammer also tickling the ivories. They previously collaborated on the Schon/Hammer Project.
If you were one of those who were not keen on The Calling then this MIGHT not appeal, but I would recommend giving it go!
A double album of 18 cracking instrumentals.
(Once again Neal takes on Bass duties as well!)

Wassail
Wassail

5.0 out of 5 stars Proggy Englishness!!, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Wassail (MP3 Download)
Another delightful, quirky bite from a band I hold in very high regard.
Very "English" adopting a folksy edge - kind of Proggy Folk, maybe?
A pleasure to listen to and very easy on the ears.
Performed beautifully, as I have come to expect from BBT; all four tracks have (dare I say?), trademark BBT feel. Greg Sprawton and team have this amazing knack of delivering great hooks.
I never get bored with BBT, their individual and idiosyncratic approach to creating and making their music so often surprises and pleases.
I AM biased - I love this!!

Protocol
Protocol

4.0 out of 5 stars As only HE can!, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Protocol (MP3 Download)
Bought this on first release - YEARS ago!
It is a show piece for the drum maestro - fundamentally, it's a "Drum Clinic" of sorts.
Loosely, a set of Jazz/Rock instrumentals - the master exercises his muscles using every part of his Tama set up with the drumming given depth with the use of sequencers and programmed synth beats. I THINK there might be some guitar in there, POSSIBLY from one time cohort - Ray Russell?
I would think this is for real SP aficionados - like me!
Superlative drumming - of course with added rhythm.
It didn't feel right going for five stars, because it might be for "real fans only"?
This is Simon doing what he does - brilliantly!

Cadmium
Cadmium

4.0 out of 5 stars Last light flight, 6 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Cadmium (Audio CD)
I read - carefully, the two reviews prior to mine and they seem to encapsulate quite fairly the 'line' of the re-release.
It is steady and typically Sky - an amalgam of Poppy, Pseudo Classical with the odd bit of everything thrown into the mix at times.
Easy to listen to and, for the most part - pleasantly enjoyable, making no demands.
I am assuming those who buy this will be "into Sky" and might have been gorging themselves on the crop of remasters?
In many ways, this was closure; John Williams left. Afterwards - "The Great Balloon Race" and "Mozart" saw them out. I get the impression that Williams had lost heart with Cadmium; his input seems, at best - benign.
One track did catch my attention and certainly caught my ears. That being "Return To Me" apparently written by Alan Tarney.
Many years ago I bought an album by John Themis, another fine guitarist, called "Atmospheric Conditions" - on it was a lovely track called "Final Cruise" - it and "Return To Me" are one and the same! I have checked.
Sky came first with their version with John Themis following in 1985.
One other track that I particular like because of its melodic changes is the lively "Telex From Peru"
I have no issues with this album, it was as expected. Fine musicians making the best of some variable songs but without compromise.
(PS - if you've a mind - check out "Final Cruise")
NB - THE DVD ON MY COPY IS NOT SKY LIVE AT DRURY LANE - IT IS SOME RUBBISH CALLED "THE UNPREDICTABLE TODD RUNDGREN LIVE". I AM LOOKING INTO THIS. ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2015 4:50 PM BST

Rhapsodies
Rhapsodies

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Rhapsodies (Audio CD)
Oh come on!
People seem to have taken this little treat FAR too seriously!
Rick is having fun and indulging in a commercial mix of frippery and whimsy. However - you get (as one would expect) first class musicianship.
I find it hard not to like this collection. The drummer - Frank Gibson Jr is on fine form and quite an 'animal'. He's from New Zealand as is bass player, Bruce Lynch.
Reliable session man from the 80s - Nico Ramsden supports with some good fretwork. He was a key member of Mike Oldfield's band.
Interestingly - tip,top, ace producer Tony Visconti plays acoustic guitar!
Look - have a bit of "Bombay Duck" or a "Woolly Willy Tango"; or, of course there's "The Flasher".
IMHO - it's good to see this out on CD. Take it for what it is - playful and definitely tongue in cheek!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15