Profile for Jen > Reviews

Content by Jen

Jen (UK)

Three Little Pigs (Night Night Sleep Tight)
Three Little Pigs (Night Night Sleep Tight)
by Nick Page
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bedtime read, 23 Sep 2012
Great bedtime book with a lovely rhythm to the rhymes which my one year old loves! Nice sturdy pages that he can turn easily himself and a good size for babies to hold. Be warned though - it sticks in your head like an annoying song!!!

50 Strung Buff Tags 120mm x 60mm
50 Strung Buff Tags 120mm x 60mm
Offered by HaberCrafts

2.0 out of 5 stars colour not as shown on website, 2 July 2012
Card is decent quality but the ring around the string-hole is red in colour not brown as shown in the pictures which is what I need for my craft project. Ordered on Wednesday delivered on Monday so not exactly lightening speed but not bad either.

Jams, Pickles and Chutneys: Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute
Jams, Pickles and Chutneys: Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute
by Midge Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book...., 17 May 2009
My favourite preserving book. I bought it as a novice and it included all the information I need to get started. All of the recipes I've attempted have turned out brilliantly (which I suspect is more about the recipe than my skills!). The plum and mulled wine recipe is worth buying this book for on its own.

WI Book of Preserves
WI Book of Preserves
by Carol Tennant

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but there are better, 17 May 2009
This review is from: WI Book of Preserves (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a preserving novice along with the WI's Best Kept Secrets jams, pickles and chutneys by Midge Thomas. I prefer the latter but there are some fab recipes in this book especially the Spiced Dried Apricot jam which is sensational. The first chapter covers all you need to know about preserving including sterilising jars, setting points, equipment etc. the following chapters cover jams and conserves, jellies, marmalades (pink grapefruit and lemon is highly recommended), curds and cheeses, chutneys and relishes, pickles, compotes, candies and dried fruit, sauces and spreads and oils, vinegars and alcohol. Plently to keep you busy and a wide range of ingredients used so you'll find a suitable recipe whatever the season.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2014 1:56 PM BST

When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide
When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide
by Marion Edmonds

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 2 Feb 2009
I cannot recommend this little gem highly enough. It's been able to answer every single query that's come up (and there's been a lot since I started knitting!).

It's like having your mum with you whole time you knit! Very clear, good illustrations. I feel sure I would have given up on on my projects several times over if it hadn't been for this book so THANK YOU to the authors who have saved me a fourtune in wasted wool and my saved my sanity!

Boutique Knits: 20+ Must Have Accessories
Boutique Knits: 20+ Must Have Accessories
by Laura Irwin

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites....., 2 Feb 2009
I love this book and (most) of the designs in it. Just to give an idea of skill level - I only learnt to knit on boxing day (Christmas just gone) and have already made 4 of the items out of this book. The instructions are really simple to follow and there's a great glossary at the back with illustrations which explains each of the stitches in case there's any you don't know. I've got a few pattern books but this is my favourite - because the designs are so modern and it makes me feel like a 'proper knitter' when I've finished a project!

I've knocked a star off because there a couple of things I can't make because I can't hold of the notions eg hand-made brass D ring which the author got in the US but I can't find in the UK. Not that it's her fault...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2012 11:58 AM BST

The Food and Cooking of Cambodia: Over 60 Authentic Classic Recipes from an Undiscovered Cuisine, Shown Step-by-step in Over 250 Stunning Photographs
by Ghillie Basan

3.0 out of 5 stars missing some essentials...., 16 Feb 2008
Having just returned from a month in Cambodia and already missing the food I was really disappointed to discover that this book doesn't include Luc lak, fish amok or khmer curry recipes - three of the most common (and yummy!) of Cambodian dishes.

Some of the recipes could do with a bit more detail and I would have given it two starts but the lemongrass prawns are amazing and well deserving of a third!

The Rough Guide to Goa (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Goa (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by David Abram

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it..., 7 Jun 2006
I'm usually a bit disappointed with the accuracy of rough guides but I took this with me in February 2006 and found the information to be correct and extremely useful. The prices quoted for accommodation were on the high side - I paid about half to two thirds of what the book quoted but the descriptions were spot on. Particularly useful is the fact that it covers the areas just outside Goa as well so you don't need to get a separate guide for India. If you can you have to visit Gokarna as well (for the train journey if nothing else!)

However,I'm not sure how long it will remain accurate for as Goa is changing so quickly.