Profile for D. Phillips > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars I am in love., 6 Jun. 2011
I am in love. I feel guilty too!! Two years ago I got a graduation present - a Sony eReader. While I enjoyed it I found the downloading off Waterstone's really difficult (I work on computers every day, so not illiterate), not to mention the extortionate book prices... £7/8 per book... whhaaattt?? Paperbacks were cheaper! Didn't end up using it at all. Now, I do a hideous amount of reading. I love having books with me so I'm never bored waiting in a queue but the Sony Reader wasn't cutting it. I suppose Amazon marketplace second hand sellers didn't help.

ENTER - Amazon's kindle... I passed some more exams, ebay'ed the Reader and got a Kindle for not much more... I AM IN LOVE. I download frequently... maybe too frequently for my bank balance... but I love it.
PRO's
1. Books are cheap - 4/5 quid... For the speed of delivery I'll pay that bit extra than buy second hand at the Amazon market place.
2. It's super light and stylish.
3. Battery lasts forever (have read about 5-6 books and still yet to charge it)
4. Brilliant reading and the page turn is actually fast (something that bugged me with the Sony Reader).
5. To top it all the Amazon Whispernet makes buying books soooo easy it's like child's play.
6. The wi-fi is such a treat, didn't bother with 3G but guess that would pay for itself after a while!

Just a few niggles:
1. Can't buy the same books as on Amazon.com.... and the collection is a lot bigger... I get copyright etc... but r e a l l y - they need to do something about it. Cause I can buy a paperback from a US marketplace seller for a couple of quid and to hell with copryright.
2. Cover's for Kindle's are stupid expensive... I've managed to find a seller (iGadgitz) on Amazon that do one for £10 but most of them are ridiculously priced.
3. The Kindle isn't expandable... not that I think that will be a problem anytime soon (ebooks are v small in size) - however add some music, photos and you could run out. I like my options open i.e. add some expandable memory. It's not major but worth knowing about.
4. Doesn't really have a book management system... not that you really need it but I'm going to recommend Calibre here.

Don't think twice though, it's a great product, I've used it loads, love it so still 5 stars - no electronic device is perfect but this is damn close! I still love books though but for travelling it's amazing.
Well done Amazon, I think you're bringing ebooks out in the open!

iGadgitz Red Neoprene Sleeve Case Cover with Front Pocket for Amazon Kindle 3 Keyboard Graphite 3G & WiFi Global Wireless (3rd Generation, Released Aug 2010)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and does the job, 14 May 2011
Considering all the daft prices that are out there for Kindles at the moment, this product is great and does the job, protects my kindle. I agree with previous reviews - looks better than the pictures shows. Would think twice - get this product. Super speedy delivery too :)

The Twilight Saga Triple Pack (3 Disc Limited Edition Steelbook) [DVD]
The Twilight Saga Triple Pack (3 Disc Limited Edition Steelbook) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars A saga is just a saga..., 24 Feb. 2011
I got this over Christmas after I watched the first Twilight movie. I loved the first movie - it was captivating. Then I watched the second and I didn't really get the whole theme around Jacob Black and in the 3rd I was frustrated that Bella wasn't picking from the two of them.

However... this box set did make me go a buy the books for comparison and plus I needed to know what happened with Bella. My curiosity was irked. I read the whole books and I have to say they did fill in the gaps of the what the movies didn't tell. I loved the second book and really enjoyed the 3rd. The forth... well it doesn't matter in this review.

Anyway I then watched the movies again and could appreciate them a lot more. The dialogue meant more and the characters were so much deeper to me by then.

Overall they are a really good watch (unless you are an art house fan, they could seem a little trivial...) especially if you've read the books. They explain the whole love triangle a lot better. Also Stephanie Meyers book from Edwards point of view is really good too.

Yes, buy the movies if you like a bit of fantasy and romance, watch the first, then read the books and watch the rest. That's the way I'd do it given a choice! :)

Polydistortion
Polydistortion

5.0 out of 5 stars Great electronica album., 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Polydistortion (Audio CD)
Not a mainstream band Gus Gus are truely electronica geniuses! Is Jesus Your Pal - my favourite haunting tune and Gun when I'm in the moood for a bit of focus. It's not just fast tempo, there's a few slower tunes. One of my favourite albums.

If I Ever Feel Better
If I Ever Feel Better
Offered by music-center

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic song, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: If I Ever Feel Better (Audio CD)
One of my favourite Phoenix songs... fantastic lyrics. One from their United album. Must buy. It'll get you hooked on Phoenix forever!

Something Wonderful
Something Wonderful
by Judith McNaught
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 21 Oct. 2010
Highly entertaining and touching. I cried at the end.
I've re-read the book over 5 times.
A Judith McNaught must have!

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit long but still a gripping read., 27 May 2010
Like any other Ken Follett book, you simply can't put it down. Its quite long so I was inactive for quite a long period of time!

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL4 240 Pin DIMM
Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL4 240 Pin DIMM
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 15 Feb. 2010
After a lot of research into RAM (had no idea there was such a philosophy into adding more to your PC), it works fabulously and my PC is no longer struggling with all my programs and various bits working simultaneously! Great stuff, brilliant price too!

Just a bit difficult putting it into the slots. Really had to use a bit of force but might just be my computer.

Every Breath You Take
Every Breath You Take
by Judith McNaught
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 15 Feb. 2010
Not the best of JMcN but still couldn't put it down. That' what her books do to you!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7