Profile for Neil Stenton > Reviews

Renatus
Renatus
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent start to a series, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Renatus (Kindle Edition)
Just finished this today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the first in a series and luckily the 2nd is just out (and just purchased!).

From the start it has the flavour of a classic English crime/police procedural and would fit very nicely into the 2 hour Wednesday night slot on ITV, or Sunday night on BBC. If you've watched any TV crime then you'll be instantly hooked and able to picture the incident rooms of the police station. Descriptive, but not too heavy which allows the story to shine through.

But, I hear you ask, what/how/why/who is Renatus? Well that's something you'll have to find out yourself.

A crime/police novel with a paranormal theme and the follow up is set up nicely at the end.

Thoroughly recommended - nice work John.

The Beginning after the End
The Beginning after the End

5.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting read, 4 Jan 2014
First of all I think the author should be applauded for putting pen/ink/keyboard to paper. For a first time novelist Hafsa has done really well here in crafting a world and life for Chrissie, her main character. It can't have been easy to let this novel go and launch it to the reading public (I know myself, as a first time author, the pain of doing so), but she has and it's a worthy debut novel you should try.

At times it is sad, then funny, then downbeat and then uplifting. We see the life and troubles of Chrissie from her own eyes. How, when Allan, Chrissie's love, returns to her life she learns to live again and turns her life around, and how this affects her. I won't spoil the story too much for you but there are a couple of twists and very sad parts, both of which caught me by surprise.

Not usually my sort of read but I took a chance having caught the launch of the book on Facebook, and I'm glad I did. A few days after finishing it, I still find myself thinking back to some of the more poetic passages (and quite a lot of the writing is very poetic and beautifully written at that) and wondering what Chrissie is up to now - and there's not many books I can say that about.

Rosetta (Jim Meade: Martian P.I)
Rosetta (Jim Meade: Martian P.I)
Price: 3.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking SciFi Crime mix, 29 Dec 2013
It's been a while since I read any ScFi but after following the author on Twitter for a good while I felt it only fair to return to the genre, and I'm glad I did.
With two warring/opposing factions jostling for power and communities on Mars and elsewhere this had a hint of Iain M Banks about it (one of my favourite authors - though I prefer his non SciFi novels). Jim Meade is a PI in the traditional sense - wisecracking, devil may care etc.
The story trips along rather nicely and is not too techy at all, relying instead on the main theme of the tale to take you along. With a basic murder mystery at its heart it opens up to something much wider and the last quarter fairly rattles along at great pace meaning pages being turned very quickly to keep up.
Nice one, I'll be checking out more of Jim Meade.

No One To Hear You Scream
No One To Hear You Scream
Price: 2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller with pace, 1 Dec 2013
I love to try new authors and I've picked up quite a few on Twitter and Facebook. If you're looking for something new, from someone new then this is the book for you.

Starting off by building the scene nicely it slowly unravels family life, unearthing things which perhaps may have been best left unearthered, for the family anyway. With flashbacks to the troubles in Northern Ireland we see how the 'villain' of the piece has developed in to the man he is today.

When he loses the home he built himself and sets out to do all he can to get it back a deadly game is set in motion and the novel speeds a long very quickly as events unfold to a conclusion.

I didn't read any comments before I started reading but have done so now and I'm in agreement.

A most enjoyable read and I'll check out more of Julia's work now.

Death Sight: A Will Castleton Novel (Will Castleton (Paranormal Detective)/Green River Crime & Horror)
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read introducing an intriguing character, 3 Nov 2013
The first Will Castleton novel, and I wasn't disappointed. Thoroughly enjoyed this book which I'd describe as a cross between Justified and The Dead Zone - no bad thing in my opinion as I like them both!

I've been following David for a while on Twitter and, whilst supernatural novels aren't usually my thing, I was tempted by the price and didn't regret giving it a try.

A likeable character and promises to be an interesting series, I'll be back for more.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this, you won't be disappointed, 27 Oct 2013
Quirky, funny, interesting, different and above all, enjoyable.
Takes you on a journey through time and events in the company of a very likable character, I picked this up for 99p and it was money more than well spent.
Thoroughly recommend this to anyone.

Manhattan North (The Thorn Savage NYPD Series Book 2)
Manhattan North (The Thorn Savage NYPD Series Book 2)
Price: 2.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker from Mackie, 27 Oct 2013
I devoured Manhattan South and went straight into Manhattan North. No regrets.
If you want police procedural with a hint of NYPD Blue then this is for you - and me, I'll continue with this series as I need to hear more about Thorn Savage.
Whereas Manhattan South was more of an ensemble piece, this one is pure Savage. The supporting characters are just that, supporting. While Manhattan South Homicide is a team led by Savage, they take back seat in this novel - sometimes not even appearing for pages on end, and even then just in passing. But that doesn't matter, this is a Thorn Savage novel through and through. Thorn Savage proves he is not a man to be messed with.
Well done John, I'll be on to Manhattan East very soon.

Manhattan South (The Thorn Savage NYPD Series Book 1)
Manhattan South (The Thorn Savage NYPD Series Book 1)
Price: 2.67

5.0 out of 5 stars An NYPD procedural with a great cast - the kind of thing I love, 15 Sep 2013
If you watched NYPD Blue on TV, then you'll love this book. Mackie has created a series I want more of and I'm already onto book 2 'Manhattan North'.
After enjoying the TV series Justified I wanted to be Raylan Givens, now I want to be Thorn Savage.
Manhattan South rattles along at a great pace and I found it hard to put down once I'd started. There's some great one liners, some smart and snappy dialogue which had me laughing out loud and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Heartily recommended if you're looking for the same.