Profile for Angie T. > Reviews

Angie T.

In The Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran
In The Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back, 31 Oct. 2012
I was just desperate to get my hands on this book, I downloaded it on kindle, but do want the paper version due to the photographs that are contained, they look amazing. As a 40 year old it was great to go down memory lane with John back to the days of being a teenage Duranie.

I really like the way John's book starts out telling the reader about his early life, I particularly liked this because he's from where I live and we were born in the same hospital, so all good ! It was eye opening to learn some of the things about the group's early days that when you are kid you just overlook entirely, such as the original founders of the band, and how this was made up and how John's early inspirations made him the musician that he is today.

A real good read for Duran fans or not, there are plenty of musical references throughout the book.

Still Standing: The Savage Years
Still Standing: The Savage Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt, 31 Oct. 2012
I must say I am surprised that some have found Paul O'Grady's recent book "boring". I could not disagree more. After reading the first two I just could not wait to get my hands on the third and am so glad that I did. I find when you are reading Paul's books, you can hear his voice, they just seem so honest and you really are in the moment with him. There were some really touching times in this book - as there were in the last two - his heart was on the pages when he talked about those friends and family he has lost over the years, truly touching. I am at present "laid up" and "taken to me bed" in the words of one Mrs O'Grady recovering from an op which rendered me with stitches, I must say that Mr O is taking full responsibility if they split due to my laughter from reading this book ! I totally loved hearing about Lily's journey as well, I wont say too much in case other reviewers haven't read it yet. Well done Paul, I believe these books show you for the funny, intelligent, caring and wonderful person that you are.