Profile for cakerebecca > Reviews

Content by cakerebecca

cakerebecca "lightinchick" (London, Uk)

Celebrate
Celebrate
by Pippa Middleton
Price: 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Celebrate (Hardcover)
Was a little torn about buying this after reading the reviews below but I have to say I absolutely love it! I'm someone who loves to entertain, and to theme each occasion accordingly; so for me the organisation and layout of this book is perfect. I also like that its British celebrations. I read Martha Stewart magazine for entertaining ideas but being American it's not always applicable. Yes a lot of the recipes are quite basic, but the writing is charming and the ideas are thoughtfully presented. Can't wait to put the book to good use, well done Pippa!

The Great British Book of Baking: 120 best-loved recipes from teatime treats to pies and pasties
by Linda Collister
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 11 July 2011
All I can say is that the book is wonderful throughout.

It is worth buying for the Banana, Walnut and Chocolate Loaf Cake ALONE!

The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets
by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Price: 9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new..., 11 Jan 2008
Most of these recipes would be easy to convert if you were a fairly experiened baker. All the recipes rely on using the Vegan Ener-G Egg Replacer, which I find a nightmare to use. The baking recipes are much better in La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy by Sarah Kramer.

Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally: Secrets of Sensational Sin-Free Vegan Sweets
by Fran Costigan
Price: 11.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing, 14 Aug 2007
I tried several recipes in this book and I was pretty dissappointed with all of them. I brought this book so that I could make vegan treats for some friends. The bronwie that I made fromt he book tasted like earthy soil. I wouldn't reccomend this book. Sarah Kramer's Vegan books are better.

La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
by Sarah Kramer
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, JUST FABULOUS!!!, 1 Oct 2006
I brought this book because I own a cake company and I needed to learn about dairy free baking. This book is fantastic. Whilst I myself am not vegan, I use this book for my own cooking at home as well as for work. The banana pecan pancakes are a favourite of mine and my boyfriend (who is tring to cut down the bad fats in his diet). You cannot tell that they are missing eggs, which is probably the hardest thing to replace. I have made the chocolate cakes for customers (vegans and non vegans) and they have been very well recieved. I used to be a vegetarian but I do try to have meat only a couple of times a week now so this book is full of great inspiration. My favourite non cake recipe in the book is the stuffed butternut squash. Mmmmmmmmmm. I also like the way sarah includes little blurbs about all the recipes and the DIY craft section at the back. This is not a book for lazy people. This is a book for creative people that love cooking and love life!

Fairy Cakes (Hamlyn)
Fairy Cakes (Hamlyn)
by Joanna Farrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, especially for kids, 18 Sep 2006
This review is from: Fairy Cakes (Hamlyn) (Paperback)
This book is a nice book but I do agree with the above review that it is nothing special. The best thing in the book is the recipe for white chocolate fudge icing, which is delicious and I use all of the time. All the actual recipes produce nice results. The decorative ideas are ok. It would be a nice book to give to a child as a present, or for someone with children. But as far as books about fairy cakes go, there are better ones out there.

Gorgeous Cakes: Published in Association with You Magazine (Gorgeous Series)
Gorgeous Cakes: Published in Association with You Magazine (Gorgeous Series)
by Annie Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 18 Sep 2006
I am a professional cake baker and I got given this book as a gift. I don't usually buy cake books as I have so many but this book was amazing. It gave me so many new ideas, especially with presentation. It has a great number of "kids" cakes but also a lot of cakes that would be great for adults. I think that this book would be good for the complete beginner or the most experience cake decorator. I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone! There is a cake for every person, situation, budget and occassion!