Profile for Laura Marcus > Reviews

Content by Laura Marcus

Laura Marcus (England, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jewish as a Second Language
Jewish as a Second Language
by Molly Katz

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed and laughed and laughed, 31 Jan. 2014
I'm Jewish. My boyfriend isn't. So I thought this book would be an ideal way for him to understand me a little better. Me and my myriad neuroses. We took it on holiday with us and laughed and laughed and laughed. "I understand you a lot better now," he said by the end of it. If you're Jewish or not, or know someone who is or are friends with someone who is, do buy this book. You will love it. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read. My favourite line is about how most Jewish ceremonies are centred on food and our enemies trying to eliminate us: "They tried to kill us. They failed. Let's eat." BUY THIS BOOK!!!

Grill Element: Gorenje Hygena Turbo cooker grill element OL= 345mm IDW= 385mm TC= 23mm PW= 15mm PL= 125mm HSC= 104mm Wattage - 3150W: Click <a <A HREF="http://www. .com/pictures/large/grill2.jpg" TARG Please see OTHER IMAGE for an explanation on how
Offered by Homespares Centres Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely THRILLED with this element, 31 Jan. 2014
When the element blew on our 25-year-old electric cooker that we inherited with the house we thought we'd have to buy a new cooker as our local shops couldn't this time supply us with a new element. "Try the internet" they suggested. So we did. I was thrilled to find this element is still available - it's literally saved us hundreds of pounds. Money I'd much rather spend on a new dress or pair of shoes - several pairs of shoes in fact!
It arrived promptly, it fitted well within 30 minutes and we were away again with a working grill which we hadn't had for a while.

Back to Creative Writing School
Back to Creative Writing School

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to creative writing, 31 Jan. 2014
I'm not usually keen on creative writing books - nor courses! As a journalist of many years I tend to take the somewhat arrogant view that I don't need it thanks all the same. I know how to write after all. Or like to think I do. But this book is an invaluable guide to breaking into creative writing of all sorts. It's like having your very own personal lessons at hand and you can access them whenever you want.
Since buying and reading this book I've sold two more short stories so Bridget Whelan must be doing something right! I've no hesitation whatever in recommending this book to anyone who would like to write better, learn how creative writing is a useful skill no matter what your trade or profession, if any, or for anyone who fancies having a go at writing fiction.

HP 12A, Q2612A Black Laser Toner Cartridge Compatible with LaserJet 1010, 1012, 1015, 1018, 1020 Plus, 1020 Series, 1022, 1022n, 1022nw, 3015, 3020, 3030, 3050, 3052, 3055, M1005 MFP, M1319f MFP Ink © Cartridge Net
Offered by Ordistef

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Can really tell difference with this premium toner, 31 Jan. 2014
My last toner lasted precisely six months. As I find it a bit of a pain to have to keep changing them I decided this time to buy a higher-quality toner even though I knew it would cost a bit more - though not that much more.
This one arrived within two days of me placing my order. It was well packaged and easy to remove from the packaging - both of which matter. It slide into place easily and was up and working within minutes. And as I had hoped, the quality of the print is superb. Just what I was looking for. I'll definitely buy another from this company.

Eat Fat and Grow Slim
Eat Fat and Grow Slim
by Richard Mackarness

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely kind, understanding author. And his diet really works., 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Eat Fat and Grow Slim (Paperback)
I am so glad I found my copy of this book! Especially given the prices being charged here for a new copy!

I tried to follow this diet more than 30 years ago when I bought the book but it was difficult to stick to because everyone though I was a little mad eating lots of fat but cutting back on carbs instead. In the 80s, high carbs and low fat was all the rage.

Mercifully this high protein/high fat/low carb way of eating is having something of a renaissance and I'm so pleased. I've dropped two stone (28lbs/12kilos) following this diet, my cholesterol has come down, ditto my blood sugar and my blood pressure is perfect.

But never mind that... what makes this such a great book to read is the author sounds so human, kind, thoughtful and understanding. It's like having your own personal diet guru by your side. A lovely guy whose diet works and makes you happy, healthy, fit and strong. And far more energetic too.

I truly can't recommend this book highly enough.

Whose Nest is it Anyway?
Whose Nest is it Anyway?

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific read, 31 Aug. 2013
Very funny and most enjoyable book. My partner and I laughed and laughed and laughed out loud reading this.

We both high recommend you buy this book!

The Dairy Book of Home Cookery
The Dairy Book of Home Cookery
by Sonia Allison

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookery book ever. I still use it most days., 27 Aug. 2013
I can't remember how or when exactly I acquired this book. I say acquired because I've no memory of buying it. It might've been a present or come free with my milk.

Published by the then Milk Marketing Board this is the best cookery book I ever had and I'm so glad I kept it. Nearly 40 years after first acquiring it, I still use it most days. It's my default book for food and recipes. It's for all the basics and I return to it again and again.

I even use the Christmas cake recipe every year.

There may be more adventurous books on the market and more exciting cooks. But this is the best one for me and I'm so glad to see that much-loved friend here with the cover I recall from the mid 70s.

Education and the Working Class (Pelican)
Education and the Working Class (Pelican)
by Brian Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one Sociology book, read this one!, 14 Aug. 2013
This is the book that changed my life. That's an oft-used phrase, a much over-used phrase. But in this case, it's well worth it.

I read this book when I was 16. I'd left school with just three CSEs as they were then called and one O level. But I was hungry for more so I took Sociology O level at night school. And this book was on the curriculum.

Why did grammar schools mostly fail children from working class backgrounds? Most pupils who passed the 11 Plus came from middle class homes that encouraged and valued education. The few pupils from traditional working class homes who did pass the 11 Plus struggled to fit in.

The book was written many decades ago and yet, it's still very relevant today. The myth that grammar schools were the route out of poverty for poor kids is exploded in this book. Grammar schools mostly maintained the status quo. Bring them back, and they'll do exactly the same job.

At a time when social mobility has practically ceased in the UK, this book has never been more apposite that it is today.

Every politician who has a critique about education should read this book. And learn that whatever you do with schools and teachers, real education begins in the home. And that's where the focus should really be.

Guerrillas in Our Midst
Guerrillas in Our Midst
by Claire Peate

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely easy going read, 22 July 2013
I loved this book. Picked it up on holiday and read it straight through. I particularly enjoyed the friendship between the two women and I loved the many minor characters too who were very well written.

It's set in a part of London I don't know so I enjoyed that too and while I'd love to go guerrilla gardening as well, I know I never will.

As it says on the cover, Guerrillas in our Midst definitely has more substance than the usual chick lit fare - though I do like chick lit.

This is perfect holiday reading but also great to read at the hairdressers, on the bus or train to work. It's a lovely book and I highly recommend it.

From Working Class Hero to Absolute Disgrace: An Eighties Memoir
From Working Class Hero to Absolute Disgrace: An Eighties Memoir
by Stephen Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars And he doesn't mention oatcakes once!, 4 July 2009
As someone who made the opposite journey to Stephen (kind of) when I saw this in a Potteries bookshop I just had to buy it. I loved it. Read it in a few days.

It not only avoids all the obvious clichés a memoir such as this could descend into, it's a book about Stoke that never mentions oatcakes once. And I loved all the political observations; Stephen is an incredibly astute writer and like many who migrate to London, he shows us the city in a way those of us born and bred there never quite see it.

He also reminds us that not everyone who lived through the truly ghastly Thatcherite 80s was a yuppie on their way up. He shows us the 80s how it really was for many people. And ooooh... how those chickens are coming home to roost now eh? I love his stuff on equally ghastly New Labour too; how ironic they ruined his former college in a way the Tories never did. And they looked from pig to man, man to pig and back again and you couldn't tell them apart, eh Stephen?

I hope this book finds a wide audience. It deserves one. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3