Profile for Ruinedbyidiots76 > Reviews

Ruinedbyidiots76

Demanufacture
Demanufacture

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Demanufacture (Audio CD)
During the early to mid 90's there was a handful of bands that released seminal albums whose influence can still be heard over 20 years on. Fear Factory released one of those in the form of Demanufacture. Intense, devastating, intelligent, colossus are all words than be used without hyperbole when describing this album. This is largely a concept album with the theme being man vs machine, with a nod to the Terminator movies in the song HK - Hunter Killer. Although there are no guitar solos, you don't miss them, Dino Cazares' playing is tight, lean and locked in with the Drums of Raymond Herrera and the Bass of Christian Olde Wolbers. Burton C Bell's vocals go from a death metal scream to a mourful croon and melodic singing and again all locked in tight with the music. Standout tracks are the opening Combo of Demanufacture and Self Bias Resistor and that sets the pace, it does let up slightly with a cover of Head of Davids Dog Day Sunrise which is a welcome breather before the onslaught continues and then ends with the mournful A Therapy for Pain. I recommend sitting through the album in its entirety for the most enjoyment, but each song also stands up on its own and is a welcome addition to any metal playlist.

Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track
Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track

5.0 out of 5 stars Heroic return of British Death Metallers, 1 Feb 2014
The year was 1993 and I was 17 when I first discovered Carcass. Albeit late in the game they swiftly became my favourite band in the death metal genre which I was immersing myself in. The album was Heartwork and it became the album that all future music purchases would be compared to. A couple of years and one album later Carcass would split up, leaving a massive hole in the UK Death Metal scene. Thankfully a couple of years ago Carcass got back together to play a handful of shows, one thing led to another and they announced the release of their new album Surgical Steel. I can hand on heart state that this album is flawless from beginning to end there is nothing not to like. I've had this CD since the day it was released, and not a week has gone by where I haven't listened to the whole album. Not only that but it's made me rediscover Carcass' earlier albums and even the much maligned Swansong album. If your not familiar with Carcass this album is a brilliant starting point, working backwards through their releases, although I would leave the aforementioned Swansong to the end. Although this album harks back to the sound of Death Metal in the early 90s it sounds contemporary so perfect for new and old fans alike.

Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera
Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera
by Rex Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Official Truth, non official review, 21 July 2013
When I first heard that this book was in the pipeline, I couldn't wait to read it. Pantera were, for me "That Band". I was lucky enough to see them live on a few occasions, I bought their albums on the days they came out, and I always hoped that one day they would sort out their differences and remind us all how it is really done. However since the death of guitarist Dimebag Darrell in 2004, that dream has been over! Of course we now have Hell Yeah, Kill Devil Hill and the awesome Down, but we'll never again get the Metal Magic that was the classic Pantera lineup. Anyway back to business, chances are if you're looking to buy this book, you're already a Pantera fan, and know some of the story. What this book does, is fill in the blanks and gives an insider perspective of the phenomena as it happened and as it fell apart. Rex was always the quiet one, rarely gave interviews and never went for the headlines. That's not to say that he was an angel, he admits that himself in the book. Starting off with his childhood, moving on to his formative years and of course Pantera from beginning to end, as well as his time with Down, including the drink, the drugs, the good times, bad times and butt ugly truths!. He pulls no punches, is down to the bone honest and articulate. I would highly recommend this book to any Pantera fan, and to anybody who is just getting into heavy music. Even the hardiest of fans will learn something.

How To Make Friends And Influence People
How To Make Friends And Influence People
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars How To Make Friends & Influence People, 11 Oct 2010
How to Make Friends and Influence People
The first time I heard Terrorvision was in December 1992 at the tender age of 16 when they were supporting The Ramones on their UK tour. At that time I knew nothing of Terrorvision, however as soon as they hit the stage that was it! I tracked down their Formaldehyde CD (the original Total Vegas pressing), bought every single release on all formats and even joined the fan club for a short time. This was my band, my secret & then one Saturday morning I was watching the Chart Show, it was the Rock Chart that week and on came the Oblivion video. I knew at that point they would no longer be my secret, oh well! I remember picking up the album on cassette one lunchtime (blowing what was left of my £29.50 a week YTS wages) and it instantly becoming one of our 3 1994 summer soundtracks(the others were Therapy; Troublegum, and The Wildhearts; Earth Vs.). Alice What's The Matter is still one hell of a powerful statement of an album opener, Oblivian was our drunken anthem with it's doo waps and catchy bridge, Pretend Best Friend - the hardest song to sing along to without hyperventilating, discotheque wreck an awesome little headbanger. But it also had depth and soul in slower songs like Middleman, Some People Say. Overall I have to say that this is an essential album for any collection, if there is not one song that you like, well you don't like music - end of!