Profile for honestjim > Reviews

Content by honestjim

honestjim

Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars S2- not all its cracked up to be.. got for the Sensation XE!, 22 Jan 2012
I recently upgraded from a HTC Hero, I really liked it, and it served me well. Have never really liked the iphone after trying some of my friends, so it was between the Galaxy S2 and the Sensation XE for me.

I spent ages comparing and eventually decided to go for the S2. Both have great reviews, but the S2 has more great reviews, so thought I'd give it a chance. How wrong was I! I had to send it back it was terrible compared to the HTC.

A few of the niggles... the keyboard was shocking, HTC's keyboard wins hands down- the ability to long press the buttons to gain the likes of @, and ?. The HTC has a notification LED something thats a must for me, the S2 does not have one. The clock inc weather that HTC have is the best clock around. Shortcuts keys from the lock screen allow you to go directly to SMS, or email, etc, great idea! For me the S2 screen was too vivid even when set to low brightness, I find the HTC screen not as harsh on the eyes. Although on the same android system the HTC's menus, interface and buttons I much prefer over the samsung, its quicker to get where you want to go and do, HTC seem to really design these phones knowing exactly how there customers minds work, and want the phone to work.

The Sensation XE is chunkier than the S2, but feels much more solid, also heavier, but this adds to the solid feel of quality, the back casing is also thick and solid unlike the filmsy back of the S2. You dont feel like you will drop the XE any second, where as when holding the S2 this is how I felt. My S2 also had the 'écho' problem whereby the person calling me could hear there own voice echoing back down the phone at them. Which got worse with a gel case on. After a call to Samsung they denied to me any fault, but when I mentioned I believed there was a problem with the UI Circuit Board I was given the details to the repair center straight away- not where you want to send a 1 day old phone.

The battery on the XE lasts me longer than the battery on the S2, performing the same type of tasks using the same apps.

My experience has put me off Samsung phones, sticking with HTC for a while now!

HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Sim-Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone around... beats the Galaxy S2, and iphone for me!, 22 Jan 2012
A quick overview, will try not to bore with too much info... may fail?! This will hopefully help anyone who has to make a similar decision to mine..

Audio Beats does make my music sound great, the battery on the XE lasts me longer than the battery on the S2, performing the same type of tasks using the same apps.

The XE is a really well made phone, pure quality, and just great to use. It won't let you down!

Recently compared it with my friends iphone4, and even he wants one. The iphone4 screen seems tiny compared, and the functionality on the iphone seems poor compared to the XE. I'll be sticking with HTC for a long time to come, they never fail to impress.

Micky Flanagan Live: The Out Out Tour [DVD]
Micky Flanagan Live: The Out Out Tour [DVD]
Dvd ~ Micky Flanagan
Price: 11.88

4.0 out of 5 stars And the out out tour continues.. Micky has milked the cow dry!, 8 Nov 2011
The out out tour is legendary! I saw parts of the out out tour on tv a few years back, and this really got me in to Micky. The material is great and Micky pulls it off well, if you haven't seen it then its worth buying! Though saying that this tour has done my head in. Since the first time I saw Micky on tv, and started to follow him, he just used the same material over and over and over again. And now that same material is on dvd. Micky you need to keep it fresher, your stuff is funny, but you need to prove yourself, we need funny new material regularly! Instead of being the guy who did the out out tour for years, then retired, because he had no more material as good. Overall, would defo buy if not previously seen, but the out out tour has now been milked well and truly dry.

simplehuman 40ltr slim plastic bin black
simplehuman 40ltr slim plastic bin black
Offered by Family Care
Price: 41.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Was a quality bin, but lets you down..., 4 Jan 2011
This bin is the best! The design is great, the slow close is great. We dont fork out for the simple human bin liners though, bit of a rip off, can get ones that fit in ASDA for 1.70 for 15 50ltr tall bin bags. After 4 months the lid squeaked everytime it was closing which was quite annoying, but emailed simple human and they sent a new damper and fitting instuctions as the bin has a 5 year guarentee, works perfectly now.

Added a year and a half later, I have now had a replacement bin. Everytime you use it the hinge weakens which means eventually the lid comes off every time you press the pedal, design flaw I think, full replacement bin supplied. The piece of kit which soft closes the lid, called the damper, wears out roughly every 3 months regularly, and is hard to take out and re fit. Luckily the bin had a 5 year guarentee, so the 3 or 4 dampners I have gone through and the the replacment bin have all been free of chage but thats not the point, when you buy something you want it to do what its meant to, without a problem. Unfortunatley this is a let down, a wet blanket. After the 5 year guarentee finished I'll be getting a new bin, not a simplehuman one, until then will continue to get free replacements after spending 30 pounds on the bin, I'm not just going to throw it away...

Kodak Playsport Zx3 Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera (Black) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars great video camera, dont be put off, 22 July 2010
Bought this cam for our wedding and honeymoon as well as future birthdays and Christmas'. It's small, compact, easy to use, produces great quality for the size of the cam, a lot better than any mobile phone camera we have seen. Only downsides, no flash and each time you press stop recording the video clip gets saved then next time a new video clip is created. It's possible to buy a macro lens from use fever which makes the view wider or makes it possible to look up close for detail. From an amateur basis we are really happy with this bit of kit!