Profile for Andrew Gough > Reviews

Content by Andrew Gough

Andrew Gough "Andrew Gough" (Sunny Cotswolds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
13 HOURS IN BENGHAZI: Donald Trump, Soldiers, ISIS, The Islamic State, ISIL, & Hillary Clinton: Libya, Terrorism, Homegrown Terrorism (Illustrated)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hatchet Job, 8 Feb. 2016
I was curious to pick this up because it covered a topic I felt I knew little about. Sadly I gave up disappointed Poorly structured, with a weak narrative, a great deal of repetition and a general lack of good editing, what might have been a riveting account of a desperate 13 hours in Benghazi rambles through the action and cares more about Clinton than the protagonists on the ground. Yes, Hilary is running for President and should be hel to account but this is a weak investigation and is certainly not an action story.

Moshi iVisor XT (HD Crystal Clear) No-Bubble Screen Protector for Kindle Voyage
Moshi iVisor XT (HD Crystal Clear) No-Bubble Screen Protector for Kindle Voyage

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't even bother fitting this and returned it to ..., 4 Nov. 2014
I didn't even bother fitting this and returned it to Amazon (fantastic service as ever). It's shinier than a shiny thing and completely negates the point of an anti-glare screen on the Kindle. I would also bet it shows finger prints perfectly.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 5:17 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A good quality protector and excellent fit., 9 Oct. 2014
Screen protectors can be a bit of a gamble - the low cost, low quality, high markup opportunity means a lot of bad kit is out there. Good ones can be found and this is one of them. The protector is as good as would be hoped of a 3M product and Vikuiti's cut is an excellent fit. The package does not come with the extras often seen - screen cleaners, applicators etc so you do need your own. As with any protector you need to take great care when fitting to be sure of a good result with the protector essentially being invisible.

I recommend Scotch Magic Tape (also 3M) as a good low tack tape to dab any dust particles off to help lift the protector.

Garmin Silicone Protective Case for Edge 1000 GPS Bike Computer - Black
Garmin Silicone Protective Case for Edge 1000 GPS Bike Computer - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, stupid packaging choice., 9 Oct. 2014
It's a case and does what it says on the box. Well made, it fits perfectly - as you would expect from the manufacturer. I hope and trust that it will last as well as the one I had on my 800, which is as good today as when I bought it several years ago. 5*

The case comes in an astonishingly big package though. It's outrageously wasteful of Garmin. 1*

Glif tripod mount & stand for smartphones
Glif tripod mount & stand for smartphones
Offered by Special Import Europe - UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly poor user experience., 9 Oct. 2014
I like Studio Neat but I'm afraid I don't like this second generation Glif. The need to set the size of each mouth using a hex key is at the heart of the problem. This design means that there is an inherent trade off - do you leave the Glif slightly loose so that the phone is mountable without using the hex key or do you use the hex key every time? If you go for the former, how loose do you set it so that dragging the Glif on and off your phone doesn't cause stratches? I'm astonished that a team like Studio Neat would see this as an acceptable compromise. It needs an amount of give or sprung element.

The Glif is well made and presented though. It fits an iPhone 6+.

The Joby GripTight looks like a neater and more flexible solution.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2015 12:55 PM GMT

Gerber Dime Micro Stainless Steel Multi Tool Green
Gerber Dime Micro Stainless Steel Multi Tool Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A good tool combination and quality build, 14 Feb. 2014
I bought this tool for for emergency use when out on one of my bikes. I thought the set of tools was relevant to the kinds of incidents I could imagine both mechanical or first aid. I was truly impressed when I got it - it's a tough little thing in an astonishingly small size and consequently light despite its solidity. It is perfect for the emergency use envisaged - albeit perhaps too dinky for every day / heavy duty use. In fact, I liked it so much I got another because it fitted my road bike's saddle bag.

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protectors for: FujiFilm Cameras *Lifetime Guarantee* (FujiFilm FinePix X100S Crystal Clear Expert Shield)
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't see it!, 14 Feb. 2014
My X100S came with a screen protector that did a great job of protecting the screen but sucked at letting me see the screen clearly. This protector is crystal clear, is perfectly sized and grips the glass of the screen well. Fitted carefully it's virtually impossible to see and gets 5/5 from me.

Others have pointed out that you do need to be careful fitting it and that's certainly true. I don't see this as an issue though. If it was easy to fit the tolerances would be poor and you would see the edges inside the screen area, the tack would be poor or something else. Difficult here definitely equals good and I'm drawing that conclusion having used every kind of screen protector over the years since my first Palm Pilot in the 1990s.

A version of the old maxim, measure twice, cut once applies. Practice lining up several times before getting stuck in. Follow the instructions about a dust free environment and you should be good.

If you do happen to get a dot of dust, I suggest using a low tack high quality tape like Scotch Magic to dab the screen / underside of the protector.

Dreamland Intelliheat Fleecy Heated King Size Under Blanket
Dreamland Intelliheat Fleecy Heated King Size Under Blanket

2.0 out of 5 stars 2x singles may be a better bet, 20 Nov. 2013
This review applies to the KING SIZE underblanket.

I have a bed which is 5' 6" -ish wide. Historically we have had to have two single blankets to heat the bed (which involves flipping one upside down because no company seems to make a blanket with controls on the left side). I had hoped that although the king size isn't quite full width for my bed (3 cm short each side) it would be good enough.

We have other single Dreamland underblankets which were our reference point for buying this. It's worth knowing that a single is supposed to be 150cm long (i.e. fits from the pillow down) and 80cm wide and the king size 150cm long by 160 cm wide.

The single blankets are very close to the dimensions advertised coming up at around 79cm x 153 cm. Very disappointingly the king sized blanket is at most 152cm (on the one supplied at least).

More importantly though the heating elements are much narrower on each side of this King Size blanket. On the single blankets they are around 63 cm wide with an unheated border around the blanket of just over 6cm on the side without the plug/controls and 9cm on the control side. On the King Size the heated portion is 55cm (yes a whole 8cm less) with an outer border of 17 cm (yes, a whole 8cm more) and inner separation of 5cm. Overall this means that with two singles you can directly heat 16 cm more of the bed and, allowing for the separation of his / her zones, it feels like 138cm. With the king size it is 115cm.

Net = the king size is not twice a single. I suppose it is £12.33 cheaper than two singles (at the time of writing) but that is cold comfort.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Onyx Black - fits all Paperwhite generations

4.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of the colour surround to your Kindle., 30 Oct. 2012
Others have made relevant points about how this cover has seen incremental improvements from the previous version. The magnetic latch is certainly welcome. I'm ambivalent about the textured finish - it will hide wear better but feels and looks like faux leather.

The thing that surprised me though was that Amazon have chosen to have the tray the Kindle sits in and thus the border match the cover not the Kindle. This means that your black Kindle could have a contrasting border that may be distracting. I sent my brown one back to change it for the black one - which looks excellent.

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Document Scanner
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Document Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded all expectations, 30 Nov. 2011
I like the idea of keeping records of paperwork - particularly now insurance companies are tightening up on proof to support claims*. The problems are the reams of fading, disorganised receipts and a wife who hates me hoarding. This finally provided the nudge to get a scanner.

I looked at a variety from the simple, small USB powered models (like those from Doxie, HP and Canon) to something more substantial. I realised that I wanted a couple of key features - duplex and a feed. Small USB devices are all very well but they are slow and man-draulic. That might be OK if you just scan the occasional item but I get a reasonable amount of mail and receipts and have two filing drawers desperate to commit shredder suicide. The ScanSnap 1300 does require its own power supply but folds up into a small discreet package and stood clearly apart as the compromise product that made the least number of compromises.

Of course, hardware is only one aspect and software can ruin everything in a nano-second. As a Mac user, I was delighted to see a fully capable set of software - though for Lion support I had to go back to the website to get the latest and greatest. At some point, this will come in the pack of course. As a bit of a tech head I was impressed with how much I can customise the scans being taken and where they end up. The OCR is also fantastically good having come on leaps and bounds since my last miserable encounter with the stuff. The good news for regular users is that there are some sensibly specified defaults so you don't need to go deep if you don't want to (but you should work out which profile to use to force high resolution scans for the occasionally poor auto-choices). I also liked the fact that there's something of a community sprung up on the web. A quick bit of furious googling or binging will find you sites maintained by knowledgeable passionate people brimming with useful advice (relatively speaking of course - this isn't football or politics!).

So if I'm so impressed, why 4 not 5 stars? Fujitsu have optimised this product for printed sheets like A4. Of course, many receipts come on the flaky thermal paper and some of my records are also a bit dog eared. Although, with care, I have never failed not to get a scan successfully, it has occasionally required several attempts. If, like for bigger scanners, Fujitsu included a feed friendly clear envelope, I would have an entirely pain free workflow and would give it 5 out of 5. Still, this is only an issue 5% of the time so unless you only care about receipts, don't let this single demerit stop you buying this scanner.

I should say that my first scanner was completely DOA and, given that I got it so early after Lion's release, I put a lot of effort into checking it wasn't me, my impatience, the OS or the software. I got to the point where I was pretty certain I wasn't making any school boy errors and asked for a replacement. The new one fired up immediately. In retrospect, I can safely say that this is a well engineered product with good software. If there aren't signs of life, have faith, it isn't likely to be you. Use the amazing customer service that Amazon offers and send it back. Also, don't worry about reliability. There are no other comments about this at the time of writing and I think this was an aberration.

Enjoy

* Hint - go photograph your house like mad!

Page: 1 | 2