Profile for Gaby > Reviews

Downton Abbey - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly addictive, 1 Jan 2013
These series are highly addictive, just like the previous ones. It is so incredibly well made that is worth watching just to see the neatness of it all. As time moves on the post-war era, I'm starting to enjoy it less. The machinery and modern technology. I really abhor that. But can't revert back to the good old days were things can easily be depicted as idyllic. I know it is not reasonable and Downtown is definitely not realistic. Still, the drama is a fine one!

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable
by RD, Jeff S. Volek PhD
Price: 10.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, 15 Aug 2011
This is a great source for those researching metabolic syndrome, diabetes, low carb diets, and healing and longevity in general. The authors synthesize a lot of material and their clinical experience. A must read.

Detoxification and Healing: The Key to Optimal Health
Detoxification and Healing: The Key to Optimal Health
by Sidney Macdonald Baker
Price: 8.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, 3 Feb 2010
This book is truly one of the best health books I've ever read, highly recommended. I absolutely loved his way of explaining things. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to explain several subjects so effortlessly and easy as he does, but also, he comes across as a very wise "mother." In standard textbooks, many of the basics of biochemistry and immunology are explained in a very dried and complicated fashion, which leaves a bitter taste to the subjects. But in this book, that is definitely not the case. His explanations are very clear and enjoyable, sharing his experiences with patients, which gives a lot of food for thought. Also, basic understanding of immunology and biochemistry is a key for understanding the body's detoxification system in order to make wiser choices for our health and well being. This book should really be a must read for everybody.

What Your Dr...Autoimmune Disorders (What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About...)
by Stephen Edelson
Price: 8.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 5 Dec 2009
I was very impressed with this book. It really is very comprehensive and provides all the information needed to get familiarized with autoimmune disorders and, most important, what you can actually DO to get better. Dr. Edelson gives easy to digest information about the immune system, about each dis-ease, the tests needed for diagnosis, mainstream therapies and the alternative therapies, and case stories as well.

He surely was in the right track, so I was very distressed to learn about the suits and that the Edelson Center had to close. I read the court files and the problems regarding Dr Edelson's practicing license and I don't think it should influence readers of this book. The whole thing reads as a very venomous way to bring him down. It will be more fair if each one of us with autoimmune problems will suit the medical system (always influenced by pharmaceutical companies which don't cure autoimmune diseases) for perpetuating our health problems (and quite often making them worse) when there are alternative therapies that work because they target the root problems.

After reading this book, I got more serious with my detox and decided to follow a heavy metal chelation protocol and finally, I'm seeing very positive results in my health. It is truly amazing! I'm forever thankful to Dr. Edelson.

I highly recommend this book!

The Kitchen God's Wife
The Kitchen God's Wife
by Amy Tan
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Kitchen God's Wife (Paperback)
It was truly painful and mouth dropping to see the kind of suffering you can bring to yourself and your love ones by not standing up for yourself nor those who you love. The most painful thing of all is to see how it is out of ignorance, really not knowing any better. A person programmed to be that way can really have it that bad, specially when the societal culture makes it basically impossible to have it another way. Extremely sad!

Amy Tan really depicts pretty well how wounded people re-act and in the figure of Wen Fu, we found a truly pathological person, a real predator, a psychopath. It was very instructive to see how real this character was. China and its environment and time felt so real as well.

It is worth reading the book from all the potential lessons that can be extracted. It was really a very good book.

Lark and Termite
Lark and Termite
by Jayne Anne Phillips
Price: 14.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Lark and Termite (Hardcover)
I just couldn't get into this book. I read carefully the reviews before buying it. I was certain it was my type of novel, that 1 and 2 star reviewers were not really appreciating the story nor the writing. It seemed like my kind of book for introspective down time... But I was wrong.

I'm still hopeful for Mother Kind though.