Profile for Peter J Miles > Reviews

Content by Peter J Miles

Peter J Miles

NOW ON THE BIG SCREEN
NOW ON THE BIG SCREEN

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed account of all attempts to make a Doctor Who film, 25 Oct. 2013
You can't fault this book for its full account of the behind the scenes efforts to get a movie made. The story behind the two Peter Cushing films is interesting and will be to any fan. The plot outlines of the films that never got made are also entertaining. Some of the detail about, for example, the negotiations over rights, and changes in personnel etc can get a bit much, but otherwise an interesting read. I found the book sort of peters out at the end , a bit like the vast majority of the attempts to get films made! But if you are a Doctor Who obsessive, or completionist, a must read.

How To Stop Working And Make A Million Pounds Instead
How To Stop Working And Make A Million Pounds Instead

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be summed up in two pages and ignores how you feed your children in the meantime., 30 May 2013
This book is padded to the hilt. Ironically there is a brief summary of what has been covered near the end and all you need to do is read that! Most of it is blindingly obvious, and yet presented as something that most of us mere mortals will not have considered before. It is a very patronising book. The book is also written by a man who clearly has a very limited experience of life. Of course what he says makes sense, but he ducks the key issue...how on earth you survive in the meantime. Its fine if you have no children or commitments, you can downsize, live by the seat of your pants etc. However, most of us who need more money, have a mortgage and a family, and are only just covering the basic cost of living with both adults working full time. There are no ideas for how you are supposed to feed and house the family while you give up work and throw your energies into being your own boss. Even if the idea does not require much capital, you still need to pay the bills in the mean time?! His notion that wages can never be too low, as people can simply move to another job if this is the case, is obvious nonsense for a lot of people in the real world! Does this man have no idea of the cost of even very basic living compared to average wages? Thus this book is potentially ok for someone who is just starting out, has no children, a way to achieve accommodation, or who has an amount of savings they can live on until the profits from the new enterprise start reaching enough to live on. To be fair, I took one potentially useful idea from the book, and it was only 99p, but all in all its a patronising book that is no help to anyone with a family and on an average income.....ie those most in need of more money! .

A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought)
A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought)

2.0 out of 5 stars Takes too long to get into, 30 May 2013
This book looked like my kind of thing. I have to confess I have given up on it for now. I may go back to it and try again at some point but I just found it too disjointed and far too pompous. One of the early chapters is good and starts an interesting strand, but then another strand starts and is boring, seemingly unconnected and goes on for ages, by which time I had forgotten the earlier strands. No doubt, if I do ever finish the book, it will come together and make a complicated saga, but it was just too much like hard work to get there. I read before I go to sleep, and I kept dozing off mid chapter, so for insomniacs out there, I recommend it.

Jan Pashley Sheep in the Countryside Melamine Tray 29cm
Jan Pashley Sheep in the Countryside Melamine Tray 29cm

2.0 out of 5 stars I just assumed this was a normal sized tray.....but it's tiny, 8 May 2013
Ok so I should have read the measurements properly... But as it didn't say small tray or anything, I just quickly ordered it thinking it was just a normal sized tray. It isn't. It's tiny! Useless. It will only be off use as a toy tray for my daughter.