Profile for booklovinggirl > Reviews

Content by booklovinggirl

booklovinggirl "WW" (Hants)

Page: 1 | 2
The Effortless Sleep Companion: From Chronic Insomnia to the Best Sleep of your Life
Price: 2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars I've gone from no sleep to 6-7 great hours per night, 8 July 2014
I can't say much about this other than IT WORKS. Buy it, put the rules into practice. I've gone from no sleep to 6-7 great hours per night.

Indorex Flea Spray
Indorex Flea Spray
Offered by Mr Pets
Price: 11.34

4.0 out of 5 stars almost, but not quite., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Indorex Flea Spray (Misc.)
We purchased a can of this after using a suboptimal Johnson's equivalent. Our cat had bad fleas and they were biting me all round the house - horrid. The cat has been treated with Advocate from the vet and the house has had a can of Indorex applied to it a fortnight ago. For the first week afterwards it seemed that the fleas had gone. But yesterday I saw two live ones hopping around the kitchen, which is a little disappointing. Will probably try another can.

Bob Martin Flea and Tick Spot On Cats, 24 Weeks
Bob Martin Flea and Tick Spot On Cats, 24 Weeks
Price: 7.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use this, 18 Jun 2014
This product should be banned for making false claims. It does not kill fleas. In fact it made them worse and we now can't give our cat any other treatment for a fortnight.

The Effortless Sleep Method:The Incredible New Cure for Insomnia and Chronic Sleep Problems
Price: 2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had found it earlier!, 22 April 2014
A friend recommended this to me, knowing that I'd four months of sleepless hell. Before I read the book my best night was probably two hours sleep in a row. Since starting to read the book four days ago, I've had three nights of near-normal sleep of 5 hours in a row for which I am extremely grateful. Most of Sasha's suggestions are along the lines of the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy that I'm also having, but hers are suggested without the slight draconian edge of the CBT. It's simple stuff but very powerful. I never knew that going to bed LATER could result in a massive improvement in sleep quality. And it is the quality which matters, not the quantity. The other two suggestions in her twelve-point plan which have really helped me are: stop googling insomnia on the internet (this way you lessen the power it has over you) and talk positively about your sleep to people, rather than complaining or being negative. And a third vital thing is to live your life despite it, not build your life around it. Try it - it works!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars early days but promising, 27 Mar 2014
After three months of crippling insomnia plus a slight change to the regularity of my menstrual cycle, I first tried standard HRT which didn't agree with me and then found this product online. Have been using it just over a week and have gone from not sleeping at all night after night to a few nights where I have got four hours of sleep in a row (which for me, is a lot!). So, early days but am cautiously optimistic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2014 2:06 PM BST

Dune Women's Jackee Leather Ankle Strap
Dune Women's Jackee Leather Ankle Strap

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, 15 July 2013
I'm not a great sandals-wearer but in this hot weather I decided to hunt around for a pair I could bear to be seen in. Found these sold-out in most shops but available in amazon for less! Very pleased with the simple design, the gold studs give a bit of edge and they are comfortable too.

The Friday Gospels
The Friday Gospels
by Jenn Ashworth
Price: 14.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, cliched, overly self-assured, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Friday Gospels (Hardcover)
I quite enjoyed A Kind of Intimacy due mainly to its irreverent heroine. But this is tedious in the extreme. There's a sense all the way through that the author is aware of how terribly clever she is being - or not. I found it boring and didn't even get to the end. The author didn't actually attend school all that much, and boy how it shows.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 4:53 PM BST

Sounds That Can't Be Made
Sounds That Can't Be Made
Price: 7.83

4.0 out of 5 stars The Jury's out at the moment!, 24 Sep 2012
After a couple of months listening to this album whenever I get into the car, I now feel better-placed to review it so have entirely edited my last review to replace it with this new one. Having read other people's reviews I know that what I am going to say about some of the tracks might not be agreed with by the majority of Marillion fans on here, but as I am also a true fan and will love this band until the day I die, I'm just going to review from the heart. So: 'Gaza'. I can see why people would like it, but for me, it's just long, confusing, rambling and ultimately unmoving. I skip it now, in fact, so that I can listen to the tracks I like far better. 'Sounds That Can't Be Made' is quite eighties-influenced with its big lush synths and heavy pounding drums. I like its catchiness, but not the peculiar keyboard sounds in the middle eight (some sort of 'mock-cornet' noise, by the sounds of it). I also notice on this album that H has taken to making some strange vocal pronunciations that aren't usually there: 'Syonds That Can't Be Mide' etc. And now on to my favourite track off the album, 'Pour My Love.' Just adore this. Interesting to see that it's the only track where the lyrics haven't in fact been written by any member of the band. Others have said on here that it's a weak song, or boring, or insubtantial, but I entirely disagree. To me, it has a lot of power. Less is more, certainly when it comes to Marillion in my opinion. Beautiful track which deserves to be put on whilst you are driving around the countryside - soundtrack to Autumn, perfect. 'Power' is an interesting track. I like the tense bassline, driving the song forward and I love the verse, which crackles with dark subterfuge. Song is a little ruined by the rather pedestrian chorus, in my opinion. I notice this a lot on the album - the verses are superior, which is an odd way round to have it. Some very strange backing vocals on the chorus of this song - I notice from the cover that they are performed by H's family. Not entirely sure they are supposed to sound quite as out of tune as they are! 'Montreal' I am afraid I really just think is weak from start to finish. What the heck's going on with the lyrics? Can't believe they are from the same man who wrote the stunning 'Hollow Man' and so many other tracks beloved of Marillion fans. And now to the track about the little love notes - can't remember the name, but you'll know the one I mean. A song of two halves, most mysterious! Really wet, weak verse with an embarassingly twee vocal and keyboards - I find it quite cringe-making to listen to and again, strange pronunciation of words by 'H' who sings 'say' as 'sy' every time - but then BAM, a rarity on this album - a really strong chorus, with typically stirring Marillion guitar riff from Rothery and a few more slightly odd backing vocals alongside. Such a strange song I can't really even tell what I feel about it! 'Lucky Man' again is a song of two halves in my opinion. Love, love the verse which has a slightly creepy and even Radio-esque quality about it and also some gorgeous key changes. But the chorus yet again is oddly weak and run-of-the-mill, although I can see it as a great audience singalong track live. And then the final song, 'Skies Above The Rain' is lyrically very painful and affecting, but again such a weak keyboard riff running throughout and actually the song is somewhat slow and dull and meandering. So for me a really mixed album. Some bits of it I love but other bits make me feel a bit uncomfortable. I do though disagree with those reviews saying that H's vocals are sounding less good as time goes by - actually I think he sounds amazing, particularly on 'Pour My Love.' So my conclusion is that 'Sounds That Can't Be Made' is an eclectic mix of styles, some which work and others which don't. Not a patch on 'Marbles', but interesting nonetheless.

Lost in Your Time
Lost in Your Time
Price: 3.08

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointingly lightweight., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Lost in Your Time (Kindle Edition)
This is rather badly edited. There is very little story other than what is clearly an autobiographical series of dull conversations about how to progress a relationship. This is one of the very bad things about small indie presses who presume that they can publish anything and somehow sell them for money. If you want to read some decent chick lit would recommend Jenny Colgan, who manages to write with warmth, wit, charm and in a way that keeps you turning the page.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 7:30 PM BST

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Offered by Online Pet Doors
Price: 65.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it's working, but..., 17 July 2011
The idea of this flap is great, and over the last two years we have almost enjoyed using it - I say 'almost' because unfortunately we have twice had issues with our cat not being able to get in at all which is distressing. The last incidence of this coincided with her being attacked by an aggressive Siamese, so I wasn't too happy about that. Rang Sureflap and they talked me through a process which has now resulted in the red memory light refusing to function at all, so rang again and they have agreed to send a replacement unit. The customer service is good - but why does the product fail?

Page: 1 | 2