ARRAY(0xa4d0fc84)

Profile for A lady from Devon > Reviews

Content by A lady from Devon

A lady from Devon (Devon, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Mike Pannett's Yorkshire: The Real-life Places Behind the Bestselling Books from the James Herriot of Policing' (Daily Express)
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 2 Oct 2013
Was thinking of a word which best described the book! When I turned each page I heard a little voice saying "beautiful" This truly is a beautifully illustrated book, and one I will cherish for years to come. Having read all of Mike Pannett's books so far, the images and pictures I had imagined have now come to life in this book! The scenery & tour around Mike's Yorkshire countryside are simply breathtaking. I cannot recommend the book more highly whether you are a fan of his books, or simply love beautiful pictures. Shall purchase another for a friends Christmas present. Well done also to John Potter (photographer)and the publishers for producing such a book.

The Rest Is Silence
The Rest Is Silence
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Government take notice, 27 Oct 2012
Am a huge Mike Pannett fan, having read all 5 of his "true crime" Yorkshire series. Have downloaded and read James Patrick's e-book. All I can say is this: Thank-goodness for people like James & Mike Pannett. Completely different types of reads, but both are honest and care about the police services they so obviously love. Time Mike's books were turned in to drama, and people in power listened to the clear message James is saying!! Well done Mr Patrick. A scandal waiting/is happening.!!

Up Beat and Down Dale: Life and Crimes in the Yorkshire Countryside
Up Beat and Down Dale: Life and Crimes in the Yorkshire Countryside
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Policing as it should be, 15 July 2012
Just finished Mike's 5th book. One word sums it up Brilliant. The balance of the book from start to finish is just right. The human side of policing comes out it bucket loads. The book has it all.....humor,characters,compassion,excitement, romance and compelling stories. I loved the stag night out in York, made me laugh out loud. Yet again, I felt I was with Mike all the way during his adventures. I would highly recommend this book to all. Great summer read. Looking forward to Mike's London stories with great anticipation.

Just the Job, Lad
Just the Job, Lad
Price: 10.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Just the Job, Lad (Paperback)
Having waited for nearly a year for Mikes new book, it landed on Saturday. I spent the whole w/end reading it, and did very little else. I can honestly say, this is even better than the last one. I loved the whole balance of the book. Parts made me cry, other parts made me cry again...but with laughter. The crime aspect is in parts hard hitting, and the fatal accident is depicted with honesty and compassion. I also love the romantic side of the book (how beautiful) I can put my hand on my heart and say, this is the best series of books I have ever had the pleasure to read. I hope the author get's the recognition he deserves. I also hope that the books are turned into drama because they have it all. I am gutted I have finished reading the book, because it will be along wait till the next. I am interested to find out how many more books there will be, and if there will be books from his Met police days. I can't recommend these books highly enough, and I have read all my life. Fantastic, and thank you to the publishers for taking the books on. ALFDevon

Vet Among the Pigeons
Vet Among the Pigeons
by Gillian Hick
Price: 7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, 7 Sep 2010
This review is from: Vet Among the Pigeons (Paperback)
This is a wonderful follow up to "Vet on the loose" I found the book very easy to read and Gillian has a wonderful writing style. It give both a "lead you by the hand"insight not only as life as a Vet, but also as a family women. The book made me laugh out loud-hilarious in places. Great read or gift for all interested in "real life" stories. I have read all Mike Pannett's books which in fact brought my attention to "Vet on the loose" I hope for a 3rd.....

Not On My Patch, Lad: More Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby
Not On My Patch, Lad: More Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby

5.0 out of 5 stars Another level, 4 July 2010
I had been waiting for this book to arrive for ages. Having read the authors first two books, this has moved to another level. It deals with policing issues that everyone can relate to, but also has strong charactors and a strong sense of community. I felt I was with the author throughout the entire book-brilliant.
I love the balance of the book. It has sad-serious-interesting-exciting chapters which deal with modern day issues. Combine that with great humour and the countryside setting it gives the book a upbeat feeling. It is a rollercoaster of ups and downs. I think this book is story telling at its best. I also enjoyed the thought behind catching the villians that run from chapter to chapter.
I think the characters are wonderful. Walt-Algy-Soapy and others make me laugh out loud. Overall the best book I have read for ages. Loved it.

Torc of Moonlight
Torc of Moonlight
by Linda Acaster
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling indeed, 13 Nov 2009
This review is from: Torc of Moonlight (Paperback)
This was the very first Acaster book I have read, having been recommended it by a friend. I must say I was not disapointed!!. The book kept me gripped from start to end. I enjoyed the setting of Yorkshire which also kept my interest (childhood hols). Reading the book I was also treated to a educational brief. I can add that I found in parts the book very chilling and haunting. It made me shiver when I thought of the "supupernatural" A gem of a find. I am now going to pass to my husband who I am sure will also find exciting.

A Load of Old Tripe
A Load of Old Tripe
by Gervase Phinn

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but short, 12 Nov 2009
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of yorkshire bred authors,mike pannett,jack sheffield to name a couple. This was my first phinn book... I found the book good fun,interesting and kept me reading(made me laugh in parts). I think a good xmas filler if needing ideas. The only downside was it was rather short. Still not bad if you like good fun fiction. I think I will stick to non-fiction in the future tho.

Land Girls Gang Up
Land Girls Gang Up
by Pat Peters
Price: 7.17

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 12 Nov 2009
This review is from: Land Girls Gang Up (Paperback)
Yes, I enjoyed this book very much. It took me back some years i might add!!. The sort of book which kept me interested from start to finish. Had it by my bedside and read a chapter or 2 over a weeks period. I love the setting, but it also was a "up beat" type of read. Having read Mike Pannetts first 2 books I am now of the opinion, that reading well written and uplifting yet interesting books is once again very enjoyable.

The Life in My Years
The Life in My Years
by Joanna Lumley
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 3 April 2009
This review is from: The Life in My Years (Hardcover)
I read this book over several days, often dipping in and out of. The book gave me a great "feel good factor" and I admire how she gave up the type of life she had to concentrate on something she loved so dearly. It makes you realise just how important life and animals are to this world. It certantly makes you think!! I great read for all the family. Very good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2009 1:50 AM BST