Profile for Rochelle > Reviews

Content by Rochelle

Rochelle (London)

The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Penguin Art & Architecture)
The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Penguin Art & Architecture)
by Jane Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary book, 19 July 2007
I first encountered this book in the early 1980s when I was a geography student taking an Urban studies' course at Manchester University. I thought it was fantastic then and my own copy was very well thumbed. Somewhere in the course of several moves I have lost the book - but recently, with a geography student daughter of my own, I have been reminded of it and am so glad that I have tracked it down via Amazon - I have to admit that at the time I did not realise how influential Jane Jacobs was in her field. I hope it lives up to my recollections of it on rereading!

Affinity
Affinity
by Sarah Waters
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it in two days flat!, 9 July 2006
This review is from: Affinity (Paperback)
I thought this was a terrific book. I'd seen Fingersmith on TV and really enjoyed it and Affinity is clever in just the same way. I was gripped right from the first page - perhaps because it was a bit confusing, although this is necessary to maintain the mystery. I fell completely for the characters and didn't see the twists at the end coming at all!

Not as steamy as I expected - having seen Fingersmith - perhaps this is why some readers have been disappointed! I wasn't.

Good Harbor
Good Harbor
by Anita Diamant

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book from Anita Diament., 25 Jun 2006
This review is from: Good Harbor (Paperback)
I read this having just read 'Pitching my Tent' and 'The Red Tent'. Personally I preferred it to 'The Red Tent', perhaps because it's set in the present day as opposed to biblical times. I really felt I got to know the characters and wanted to get to know them even more. A really true portrayal of the growing relationship between two women.

Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, and Other Leaps of Faith
Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, and Other Leaps of Faith
by Anita Diamant

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll want to lend this to every woman you know., 25 Jun 2006
This is such a lovely book! I read it over the course of a few days because you can read it in fits and starts as the chapters are so short. Lots of observations which you will recognise from your own life - I'm jewish, so it's quite relevant to me in places, but my non-jewish friends have all loved it too. Quiet, introspective and thought provoking.

Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued about
Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued about
by Mil Millington
Price: 6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this on the train!, 25 Jun 2006
I read this over a hot weekend sitting in the garden and just kept on laughing out loud - so I had to phone a friend and read her some too! She's made me promise to lend it to her when I've finished. One of the funniest books I've read.

Disobedience
Disobedience
by Naomi Alderman

4.0 out of 5 stars a good afternoon's read, 30 May 2006
This review is from: Disobedience (Hardcover)
Started reading this on a wet afternoon and had finished it by bedtime! Easy to read and interesting too - I am jewish but not part of the ultra-orthodox community described here - there is lots I recognise from living in north west london myself but it also gave me more of an insight into how another part of my community live. I'm not sure how much non-jewish readers would follow - there are quite a lot of yiddish phrases, some of which even I didn't know. The characters aren't drawn in any great detail - some more insight into their feelings wouldn't have come amiss, especially Esti, who although a central character, is pretty much ignored until the end. Overall though, a nice book.