Profile for Chris J. Gorman > Reviews

Content by Chris J. Gorman

Chris J. Gorman "Gorman" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Blacksad: A Silent Hell
Blacksad: A Silent Hell
by Juan Díaz Canales

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and strong writing - this collection also contains a brilliant art-process section with discussion about the panel painting, 3 Aug 2014
Phenomenal artwork and strong writing - this collection also contains a brilliant art-process section with discussion about the panel painting and process of "lighting" each scene that I would have gladly paid money for by itself.

Sex Criminals Volume 1 TP
Sex Criminals Volume 1 TP
by Matt Fraction

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, weird and well-drawn, 3 Aug 2014
Fun, weird and well-drawn. A strange concept, that is easily boiled down to a simple idea that you can explain to friends. I'm keen to read on.

Before Watchmen: Comedian / Rorschach TP
Before Watchmen: Comedian / Rorschach TP
by Brian Azzarello

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't let the team down, 3 Aug 2014
Initially worried that the prequels would be a bit of a cash-in on the resurgent popularity of Watchmen, I held off buying for fear that I would have my experience of the characters cheapened in some way. I eventually cracked when I realised that one of my favourite writers would be tackling my favourite character from the series - Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets) writing Rorschach? My arm was twisted.
Happily, he doesn't let us down. I'm sure that all the artists and writers involved in the prequel series were as intimidated about taking on the characters and stories as many readers were worried that it would tarnish the original, but with this collection, it gave me hope that the other prequels were written with such sympathy to the source, as well as original verve. The Comedian arc was well played, and the Rorschach arc was exactly as satisfying as it needed to be.

Criminal Volume 6 - Last of the Innocent
Criminal Volume 6 - Last of the Innocent
by Ed Brubaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome thriller from the masters, 3 Aug 2014
Awesome thriller from the masters. I love the stuff they do together, and I will pretty much buy anything they put out on the basis of their brilliant track record. This book doesn't disappoint.

SEX Volume 1: Summer of Hard TP
SEX Volume 1: Summer of Hard TP
by Joe Casey

5.0 out of 5 stars A pretty graphic alternative take on what happens when superheroes hang ..., 3 Aug 2014
A pretty graphic alternative take on what happens when superheroes hang up the cape, and are left staring at themselves - exposing the gaps in their personalities caused by so long living in the dark (or are the gaps *the reasons* they hide?) they're left to figure out what is the next step. It hones in on the often-considered sexual tension between the hero and villain, or at least, the anti-hero in this case. It takes a closer look at what drives a billionaire playboy (our "Batman" proxy) once he has to give up the heroic vigilante pursuits and realises that without them, he's apparently not much of anything. Advice from a friend about "getting a life" is examined throughout the book as he wonders what precisely this means.

Criminal  Vol.1: Coward: Coward v. 1 (Graphic Novel Pb)
Criminal Vol.1: Coward: Coward v. 1 (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Ed Brubaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Plays out like a movie, 3 Aug 2014
Phenomenal noir - I've yet to be disappointed by anything Brubaker and Phillips do together, it's all startling and satisfying. Plays out like a movie, and it'll get you hooked and buying the rest.

Blacksad
Blacksad
by Juan Díaz Canales

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Chat Noir, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Blacksad (Hardcover)
Picked this up for a flick through in an airport on my way through, and even though it was in a French translation, and I don't speak French, I was hooked. So I ordered the English translation as soon as I got home, and did not regret it. Astounding artwork, great writing and pacing that really captured the flavour of the material it references and pays tribute to.

The Presidents of the United States of America
The Presidents of the United States of America

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fun energetic album without a weak song on it, 3 Aug 2014
Awesome fun energetic album without a weak song on it. Start to finish, an utter classic. Own it, or live a lesser life than the rest of us do.

The Moon King
The Moon King

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal debut by a craftsman, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Moon King (Kindle Edition)
An exceptional read that didn't disappoint. A carefully constructed world that engaged me from the first chapter and held my attention until the final pages, featuring a core of characters that I believed, even in their unusual setting. "The Moon King" didn't easily slot into an specifically definable genre, with the core fantasy concept very subtly underlying a storyline that felt in places more like a crime novel. Sometimes when I read fantasy, depending on the "depth" of it, if you will, I almost forget the unusual setting and concentrate solely on the people - Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are a good example of what I mean."The Moon King" never really let me totally forget the world - the setting, the world, all of it was intrinsically linked to the people who lived the story. In that sense, it was far more reminiscent of China Mieville's "Railsea", or something by K.J. Parker - a story that lives inside a particular setting and seems almost more precious and engaging because of it.

The unexpected familiarity of Williamson's style was a pleasure, helped immeasurably by the little delights of finding an occasional Scottish turn of phrase peppering a character's speech. It gave me a queer sort of pride, like seeing your hometown as the setting for a film, but it was neither overused nor gratuitous - if anything, I'd expect that anyone who couldn't glean the meaning of a word as juicy as "wersh" from the surrounding context would probably head to Google and emerge richer having searched it out.

The plot broadly concerns a city to which the seemingly-immortal Moon King has harnessed the Moon - this affects the behaviour of the inhabitants on the lunar cycle, with happy, carefree, somewhat hedonistic traits at full moon being balanced out at the dark days of the new moon, when the citizens find themselves depressed and despairing. Part of the story follows Anton, who we find recovering from a crippling Full Moon hangover only to realise that he has apparently assumed the position of the Moon King, the Lunane. Other storylines weave into Anton's path and intersect, and paint a broader picture of a society having trouble with its own identity. A place of uncontrollable (though totally predictable) moodswings, a place where the status quo might seem better than any possible alternative, where the populace either agitate for total change, or hope for the best based on their current situation. It would sell the book short to imply that it's simply a story of two ways, two choices, light or dark, good or bad, easy or hard - Williamson uses the framework to show us the variety of experience instead of just the extremes.

Volatile Times
Volatile Times

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and sexy, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Volatile Times (Audio CD)
Another great album from ex-Sneaker Pimps Chris Corner. The IAMX albums have been darker, dirtier, sexier and usually more danceable than the Sneaker Pimps material, and this is no exception.

Page: 1 | 2