Profile for Martyn W > Reviews

Content by Martyn W

Martyn W

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
150mm 6 Inch Digital Vernier Caliper All Metal Large LCD High Quality 12 Months Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars 150mm/ 6inch Digital Vernier Caliper, 3 Jun. 2016
Very happy with the Vernier caliper. I bought it primarily for use in model making, but have used it often for accurate measurement of numerous other things. Takes out the guesstimate when measuring diameters etc. with a ruler.

4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub DUB-1340/B
4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub DUB-1340/B

5.0 out of 5 stars D-Link USB3 Hub, 24 May 2015
Whilst this unit functions perfectly, it does seem to have been designed and assembled upside down. The power indicator LED is on the bottom of the unit and therefore not at all visible. The 4 USB ports also are fitted upside down when compared with an earlier USB 2 version. When using any USB sticks with indicators, the indicators are underneath and cannot be seen. As stated, these points do not affect how the unit works, it's just a bit odd.

Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz.234/4 Panzerspahwagen # 6772
Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz.234/4 Panzerspahwagen # 6772

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragon1/35 Sd.Kfz 234/4 Panzerspahwagen. Kit 6772, 30 Nov. 2014
A very detailed kit with a well filled box of parts. This is a quite complex kit to build and I would recommend dry fitting parts where ever possible, prior to gluing, as the instructions are not very clear in some areas making errors quite likely. There are also some minor errors in a couple of the fitting diagrams, hence the need to fit first and glue later. A bit of a drawback with this kit is the large number of small plastic nodules which adorn even the smallest parts. Even with careful cutting, a fair bit of filing is required to remove traces of all these nodules. Painting instructions are sparse. Just various colour schemes for the overall model and no colours for internal details. Despite a few minor niggles, I am enjoying building this kit and have some way to go before completion.

Mega-Sonic Cat Repeller
Mega-Sonic Cat Repeller

4.0 out of 5 stars Mega Sonic Cat Repeller, 27 Oct. 2014
It seems to be working and doing the job it is supposed to do - deter cats. My quibbles with the device are:
1) It is not water proof. Odd for a device that needs to sited outdoors in the UK where it rains a lot.
2) Gets through batteries quite quickly. This could be due to fact my garden is fairly small and shrubs etc. move in the wind and set off the device. A mains powered adapter is not suitable in my case.

I had one of these previously which eventually ceased working. I took it apart to see if it could be repaired and found that it was home to over 2 dozen earwigs!! (luckily I was in the garage and not indoors when this lot came out). I also found that water ingress over a period of time had corroded all the wiring of the electrical components thus it was only fit for the bin. (Or throwing at the errant cats.) It would be useful if the circuit boards of the unit received a thick coat of varnish/wax during manufacture. This would then prevent any water ingress causing problems. Despite some drawbacks, I would recommend this item. It works for me.

Armour Modelling (Osprey Masterclass the Essential Guide for the Serious Modeller) (Modelling Masterclass)
by John Prigent
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Armour Modelling, 21 Jun. 2014
Not having done any armour modelling before (WW2 planes are my usual thing) I needed a few hints on the subject. I have found Armour Modelling by John Prigent to be just what I needed. The book is hard backed with spiral binding which means the page you want to study stays open when the book is laid flat. The chapters cover all aspects of armour modelling from basic building to fine detailing with photo etch and resin parts as well as weathering techniques. There is an excellent section on painting model people and a section on dioramas all with step by step photos. In short, a very useful book full of helpful tips and techniques.

6 Volt 4 Ah 4.5ah Lead Acid Rechargeable Alarm / Model Battery
6 Volt 4 Ah 4.5ah Lead Acid Rechargeable Alarm / Model Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 volt 4.5 ah lead acid rechargeable battery, 24 Mar. 2014
I bought this battery to replace the one in a torch which would no longer charge. The new item was exactly the same dimensions as the original and was therefore no problem to fit. It arrived well packaged and was pretty much fully charged so my torch worked straight away. Subsequent re-charges have been successful, it performs as it is supposed to. We'll pleased with my purchase which was sensibly priced.

Logitech Performance MX Wireless Mouse(UK version)
Logitech Performance MX Wireless Mouse(UK version)
Offered by SRTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse, 8 Feb. 2014
Bought this mouse to replace an earlier model Logitech mouse which had provided a reliable service for a couple of years but the non-replaceable battery was coming to the end of its life. This Logitech MX wireless mouse is a good replacement as it feels very similar and has a similar button placement. I like the fact that the rechargeable battery can be replaced if necessary. The charge is via a USB lead which can be plugged into a mains adaptor or a USB socket on a PC or a USB hub. If using the connection to a USB port, the mouse can still be used while it charges. Some reviewers have stated that they find the charging cable a bit rigid and that it impedes mouse movement. I have found no problem with this. The mouse is supplied with a unifying receiver and an extension cable. I have found this useful as I have plugged my receiver into a USB port on the back of my desk-top PC via the extension cable. This allows it to reach up to my desk where it sits in a corner out of the way. The battery life after charging is not brilliant, about a week of heavy use. The charge time is fairly short and as stated, I find charging whilst in use is no problem.
I have no requirement to use the mouse on glass so I cannot comment on this aspect. The mouse does all I require of it and is comfortable during prolonged use. Recommend downloading the driver etc. from the Logitech website to enable full set-up functionality.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PC DVD)
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PC DVD)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PC DVD), 8 Jan. 2014
I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with this game. The graphics are very good as is the general gameplay and control. Having previously played Assassins Creed 3, Revelations and Brotherhood, I find this edition to be pretty much a repeat of the others just in a different setting. What I do find particularly irksome is the repetitive chases after pointless bits of paper (music in this one and book pages in AC3) and also running after people who seem to be faster than Mo Farrah and Linford Christie combined ! In short, the earlier editions were much better and I cannot see myself continuing with the Assassins Creed saga. Not really recommended unless you are new to Assassins Creed.

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Legendary Edition (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Legendary Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition (PC DVD, 8 Jan. 2014
This is my first foray into the world of Skyrim and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. Unlike many games today which seem to be geared up for multiplayers and be very short for the single player, Skyrim has provided me with hours of gameplay and I have only reached level 10! From the excellent guide, it seems I have many more levels to look forward to. This legendary edition is excellent value for money and I can see many more hours of enjoyment from this game with its brilliant graphics and storyline. If you are fed up with expensive games with only a few hours of single player action, this is the game for you.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Legendary Edition (Prima Official Game Guides)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Legendary Edition (Prima Official Game Guides)
by David Hodgson

5.0 out of 5 stars Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Legendary Edition (Prima Official Game Guides, 8 Jan. 2014
I was surprised by the size of this book when it arrived. I looked at it before starting the game and thought the whole thing looked very complicated. However, now that I have started Skyrim, things have become much clearer. The book is a real asset and without it there is much that I would have missed or struggled with. The maps in the book are brilliant and make the big picture much clearer. I thoroughly recommend this book to any Skyrim players. It won't fight your battles for you but will give you lots of tips on how to progress and succeed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3