Profile for parrotts_book_parlour > Reviews

"parrotts_book_parlour"

The Gathering Storm [DVD] [2002]
The Gathering Storm [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Albert Finney

5.0 out of 5 stars Sir Winston Churchill - The Greatest Briton Ever!, 26 Aug. 2003
This made for TV film about Churchills wilderness years as a politician, is completely gripping from beginning right through to the highly charged and very emotional ending.
To British people like myself, who, approaching forty, have grown up with the knowledge of Winston Churchill, as our parents, grandparents grew up and lived through the second world war.
This is a film that stirred no end of emotions within myself, and my wife. The main one being the fierce sense of patriotism, and frustration in the way that Winston Churchill was treated within the British Government in the 5 years preceding the second world war.
He was ridiculed when he tried to warn the government that Hitler and Nazi Germany were rearming at a phenomenal rate. This film also gives an excellent insight into Churchill's private life, and his very close and endearing relationship with his wife Clementine, his beloved 'Clemmie'
Albert Finney is superbly cast as Churchill, so much in fact, that when his youngest daughter (now in her late 70's) saw the preview of 'The Gathering Storm' last year before its general release, she was moved to tears at the end of the film, and kept repeating 'That's my papa, that's my papa'
Vanessa Redgrave is superbly cast as Clementine Churchill, with a very strong supporting cast which includes Jim Broadbent, Linus Roache (son of William Roache - Ken Barlow in Coronation Street), Derek Jacobi as the Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, and Ronnie Barker (who came specially out of retirement for this film) is brilliantly cast as Winston Churchills irascible butler 'Inches'
If your British, or have connections with Britain, believe you me, you'll be moved to tears at times, and smiling at other times, but at the end, when you see him walking into the Admiralty building, to take up his position of First Sea Lord, you'll be standing, cheering, clapping or punching the air, and shouting 'YES!!' at this stage, I had tears in my eyes too, and a lump in my throat, as did my wife.
Watch this film, you will not be disappointed, and you will understand why the British people voted Sir Winston Churchill as the Greatest Briton Ever!