Profile for Sarnia Cherie > Reviews

Content by Sarnia Cherie

Sarnia Cherie (Guernsey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Rathcroghan - Irish Royal Site
Rathcroghan - Irish Royal Site
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Rathcroghan, 30 Oct 2013
Rathcroghan is one of the most Significant historic sites in Ireland, yet most people visiting the Republic of Ireland would pass through the tiny town of Tulsk without a second glance - and most people wouldn't even consider spending any time in co. Roscommon at all.
This short, but interesting work offers an introduction to the area and is well worth purchasing if you're interested in Irish mythology, prehistory and archaeology.
The work also includes details of transport links to Tulsk, plus places to stay and further reading.

Groov-e GVPS713BE Boombox Portable CD Player with Radio - Blue
Groov-e GVPS713BE Boombox Portable CD Player with Radio - Blue
Offered by mopodo-uk
Price: 29.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money!, 2 Jun 2013
You get what you pay for! Very cheap looking and stopped working after a couple of months. Recommend you spend a bit more and buy "quality"

The Majesty of the Horse
The Majesty of the Horse
by Tamsin Pickeral
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning photography!, 28 Feb 2013
Chose this as a Christmas gift for a horse-mad teenager.

Had a quick browse through before packing it and was very impressed with the quality of the paper and the stunning photographs. A keepsake, for sure!

Noontec Zoro Professional Headphones - Red
Noontec Zoro Professional Headphones - Red
Price: 35.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound from these headphones, 28 Feb 2013
Bought these for my 9-year-old daughter to use with her Kindle and other devices.

Sound is great.

Be warned: a bit big for a child, but at least she'll grow into them!

Green Address&Birthdays Isaksson
Green Address&Birthdays Isaksson
by teNeues
Edition: Calendar
Price: 7.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little address & birthday book, 28 Feb 2013
Very sweet little book, nicely laid out, with useful pocket in rear for holding small slips of paper. Looks like it will last years.

Makes a nice gift

Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Price: 10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it Really THAT good : what am I missing????, 28 Feb 2013
Quite disappointed with this product.

After reading some of the glowing 5* reviews, I thought this was going to give a fairly good blast of air, but even when I give it my best attempt, it's just a "puff" of air. I've used it on my netbook keyboard and camera lens and it seems very ineffectual.

Won't be packing this in my camera bag : waste of space.

Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10 MP, 5x Zoom) 2.8 Inch Vari-angle Purecolor LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Camera!, 22 Jan 2011
I deliberated long and hard about buying a Canon "G11" series camera. In fact, so long that by the time I'd decided to investigate/research prices online, the G12 had been released! I wasn't sure I could justify the cost as I own an EOS450d, which for my amateur purposes was more than adequate. Only thing with the EOS: size and weight. I wanted a pocket-size camera that would still give me freedom to play with aperture/shutter speed etc. and that I could comfortably carry around all day - even when just going out to the shops or collecting children from school.

The camera is certainly bigger and heavier than a simple point-and-shoot: you'd need pretty big pockets! (But I knew that from reading online reviews.) Having looked at point-and-shoot, I knew I wouldn't be happy with one: they're too light and flimsy for me and another major point: I didn't like the fact that most came without a viewfinder.

The Canon G12 feels good in the hand, and - surprise, surprise, I've hardly used the viewfinder, as the swing-out screen with its useful "spirit level" function is really good quality in all lights. If you're used to a Canon dslr then the controls on the G12 should look/feel familiar.

I'm really pleased with initial pictures, using the auto function(nothing too ambitious yet); you can see two of the first set I took above: close-up of rose and close-up of autumn leaves.

Slight niggle: it would have been nice to have had a paper manual included rather than just a cd.

So, after reading the reviews here on Amazon and on dpreview online, I'm really pleased with my purchase. No nasty surprises: just as I expected and a good price from Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2011 3:44 PM GMT

The Essential Handbook of Crochet Stitches
The Essential Handbook of Crochet Stitches
by Betty Barnden
Price: 7.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 6 Jan 2011
This is a good book for both the beginner and the more experienced crocheter. The book starts with information on different types of yarn and hooks, including a useful chart which shows the different sizes in UK and US terms. This is followed by instructions for different stitches and helpfully includes the chart symbol for each.

The majority of the book is taken up by written and chart instructions for more than 200 stitches. Cleverly, the stitches are separated into chapters based on stitch type: "basic" "textured" "fan and shell" and so on. And a different brightly coloured yarn is used in each chapter.

I have already completed a beautiful alpaca/silk blend purple scarf using one of the stitches - and have received many compliments!

Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs, The (Revised Edition): 500 Classic and Original Patterns
by Linda Schapper
Price: 18.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book; Shame about the Photos, 6 Jan 2011
Very inspirational for those who want to design their own items, the book lists 500 different crochet designs complete with written and chart instructions. I personally find charts much easier to use than written instructions, so I was delighted to see them included.

However: a slight niggle, which is why I haven't given this book 5 stars. What a shame the yarn used for the photos is a bland oatmeal colour; it really doesn't show some of the stitches very well, particularly where a pale background has been used. Compare with Betty Barnden's "Essential Handbook of Crochet Stitches", which has excellent pictures:

Still, I am pleased with the book: well worth the money, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to fellow crocheters.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2011 12:15 PM BST

Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries)
Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries)
by Cora Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good tale from Cora Harrison, 28 Jun 2010
This is the 4th book in the Burren Mystery series from Cora Harrison and describes the events leading up to the marriage of Mara, Brehon of the Burren (a judge) to King Turlough O'Brien who is ruler of the Burren. A violent murder takes place in Corcomroe Abbey on Christmas Eve, but was the victim the intended target, or was it a case of mistaken identity?

A little background information: the Burren is a unique limestone landscape in co. Clare, Ireland, steeped in history dating back 1000s of years. You cannot travel more than a mile or so without coming across some ancient ruin: a megalithic tomb or crumbling medieval church. Many of the places mentioned in the book(s) can still be identified and visited today.

I've visited the Burren several times and can picture the scenes and places Cora Harrison so vividly and accurately describes. All her characters are well developed: I feel a great warmth and affection for Mara, the Brehon judge, and have go to "know" her well through the 5 books written so far (as of June 2010). Mara's young scholars at the Burren law school are also clearly defined, from quiet young Hugh, to reliable Fachtnan, and there are many other characters to get to know throughout the series.

I recommend you read these books in the order they were published, as events do move on and characters develope from book to book:

1 My Lady Judge
2 Michaelmas Tribute (published under "A Secret and Unlawful Killing" in USA)
3 The Sting of Justice
4 Writ in Stone
5 Eye of the Law

A super medieval mystery series with extremely likeable characters.

I look forward to more from Cora Harrison!

Page: 1 | 2