Profile for Sarnia Cherie > Reviews

Content by Sarnia Cherie

Sarnia Cherie (Guernsey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs, The (Revised Edition): 500 Classic and Original Patterns
by Linda Schapper

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book; Shame about the Photos, 6 Jan. 2011
Very inspirational for those who want to design their own items, the book lists 500 different crochet designs complete with written and chart instructions. I personally find charts much easier to use than written instructions, so I was delighted to see them included.

However: a slight niggle, which is why I haven't given this book 5 stars. What a shame the yarn used for the photos is a bland oatmeal colour; it really doesn't show some of the stitches very well, particularly where a pale background has been used. Compare with Betty Barnden's "Essential Handbook of Crochet Stitches", which has excellent pictures:

Still, I am pleased with the book: well worth the money, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to fellow crocheters.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2011 12:15 PM BST

Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries)
Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries)
by Cora Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good tale from Cora Harrison, 28 Jun. 2010
This is the 4th book in the Burren Mystery series from Cora Harrison and describes the events leading up to the marriage of Mara, Brehon of the Burren (a judge) to King Turlough O'Brien who is ruler of the Burren. A violent murder takes place in Corcomroe Abbey on Christmas Eve, but was the victim the intended target, or was it a case of mistaken identity?

A little background information: the Burren is a unique limestone landscape in co. Clare, Ireland, steeped in history dating back 1000s of years. You cannot travel more than a mile or so without coming across some ancient ruin: a megalithic tomb or crumbling medieval church. Many of the places mentioned in the book(s) can still be identified and visited today.

I've visited the Burren several times and can picture the scenes and places Cora Harrison so vividly and accurately describes. All her characters are well developed: I feel a great warmth and affection for Mara, the Brehon judge, and have go to "know" her well through the 5 books written so far (as of June 2010). Mara's young scholars at the Burren law school are also clearly defined, from quiet young Hugh, to reliable Fachtnan, and there are many other characters to get to know throughout the series.

I recommend you read these books in the order they were published, as events do move on and characters develope from book to book:

1 My Lady Judge
2 Michaelmas Tribute (published under "A Secret and Unlawful Killing" in USA)
3 The Sting of Justice
4 Writ in Stone
5 Eye of the Law

A super medieval mystery series with extremely likeable characters.

I look forward to more from Cora Harrison!

Compendium of Crochet Techniques
Compendium of Crochet Techniques
by Jan Eaton

5.0 out of 5 stars My Crochet Bible, 21 July 2009
My mother taught me to crochet many years ago, but I never progressed much beyond making a "granny square" or a simple scarf. I recently decided to pick up the craft again, but wanted a reference book to help me with different stitches and techniques.

I'm absolutely delighted with this book. It starts at the very beginning describing various types of crochet hook (metal, wooden, plastic, etc) and then continues with information on yarns and their suitability for different items.

The following chapters include:
help on reading patterns, including symbol charts;
step-by-step guide to a variety of stitches, including filet crochet;
joining on new yarn, and finishing off pieces, plus how to sew in a zip;
how to make pockets and buttonholes, and trim your garment;
and finally, assembling the finished piece.
And there's much, much more.

Throughout there are bright clear pictures, and on many pages "try it" boxes: mini projects that will help improve your skills in different areas.

I've now got the confidence I needed and have started a lace shawl, which looks lovely! I would never have tried something so ambitious (for me!) if I hadn't had this book.

Highly recommend this book for those like me, who can do basic crochet, but want to improve their skills. I also think that some-one learning to crochet will find it invaluable.

A200 Portable 2.1 Speaker System
A200 Portable 2.1 Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars superb portable speakers, 4 May 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I know nothing of the technical side of these travel speakers, except that they were designed by some-one who used to work for "Mission" who make fine speakers - we have some at home.

They are excellent! I bought them for my husband who travels alot for work and doesn't always want to be plugged in to his mp3 when working in a hotel room, etc.

They look fantastic - very sleek and space-age. They come with a slim padded sleeve for travel, plus AC adaptor - very useful!

The sound quality is superb - if the volume doesn't seem high enough on the Saitek, just increase the volume on your mp3/lap-top.

A bit more expensive than other travel speakers, but well worth the money for quality and looks!

Page: 1 | 2