Profile for Magadan > Reviews

Content by Magadan

Magadan "nattedmag" (West Yorkshire, England)

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Jan 2014
I was really looking forward to reading this after all the rave reviews. I don't often write reviews on books I've read, but for this one I had to make an exception as it's so bad.

I bought it over a year ago & then, I admit, forgot about it. However, after looking through my extensive library for something different I started to read it yesterday & have to say I am thoroughly disappointed. It's certainly different but not, for me, in a good or interesting or entertaining way. I can't engage with it, find it boring & stupidly silly. For me it's inane drivel. There's no real story line & no depth to the characters.

Like some other reviewers I thought I would enjoy it, wanted to enjoy it & have really tried to enjoy it. But no, I can't enjoy it! It's just not for me & I've given up, but I guess we can't all like the same things.Thank goodness I only paid 20p for it (or I would be even more disappointed) though I wouldn't recommend it even if it was free..

Leaving Lancaster County( An Amish Christianity Book) (Walnut Creek Amish Book 1)
Price: 3.13

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 19 Jun 2012
I expected a good well written story, but this is poorly constructed & badly written - as I was reading it, I thought it must have been written by a child as it was riddled with inconsistencies along with grammatical & spelling errors. There seemed to be little real understanding of the Amish & the story line was rudimentary. Continuity left a lot to be desired - children who were the nieces of the main male character suddenly became his daughters part way through the book with no explanation. Did the author loose the plot? Did no-one proof read the book before publishing? Altogether a very amateur offering & very disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2012 12:14 AM BST

Tear In Time (Time Travel)
Tear In Time (Time Travel)
Price: 1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read - time travel with a twist, 24 Jun 2011
I actually received a free copy of this book due to a misunderstanding on the Kindle forum. You could say I got the book by default & I wasn't sure what to expect as this is not my 'normal' choice of book.

However, I found this quite fascinating - without giving too much away, the plot is an intriguing take on time travel involving medics in the present day & the American Civil War period.

The historical facts were interesting &, I hope, accurate - apologies I don't have much knowledge of the period - whilst the medical knowledge was well researched & quite extensive. This is well written - admittedly with a few typos, but these didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book.

The storyline is engaging, especially once past the first few chapters & moves along nicely with sufficient pace of action to keep one anticipating the ending, which by the way was unexpected until very near the end itself. A nice twist in the tale. The main characters are well defined & personable & one finds oneself empathising with them & rooting for them in the battle action scenes which give a few nail biting & breath holding episodes to be sure.

A thoroughly entertaining read Chris - I've given you 4 stars & I look forward to reading more of your work. Maybe a 5 star next?

Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon
Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Descriptive Urban Fantasy, 13 Jun 2011
Having received this book as a 'freebie' I had no expectations as to the quality. Whilst agreeing with a couple of reviews that there are some spelling & gramatical errors I have to say that this in no way distracted fom my enjoyment of the book.

I won't go over the theme of this book as other reviewers have already done so but I was hooked from the beginning & found the narrative beautifully descriptive, being transported straight into the strange, evocative & haunting landscape in which the book is set. It's pacy & engaging with the action never waning, often leaving me at the edge of my seat, catching my breath wondering what was going to happen next. Brilliant! I really enjoyed it & would recommend it to anyone, from teens to nonogenarians, who enjoy books of this genre - I can't see anyone being disappointed?

I think, with a bit more care with the proof reading to remedy any spelling & grammatical issues, Glyn James will go from strength to strength & is more than capable of giving quality offerings.

An author to take note of! Thanks Glyn for an enjoyable read. Can't wait for more of the same - in fact I've just started 'Chasing the Spirits' & now expect it to be just as enjoyable.

Witness to Death
Witness to Death

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Action Thriller. Well Written, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Witness to Death (Kindle Edition)
I also received a free copy of this book from the author & I really enjoyed it. The book is well written & also well proofed - I only spotted a couple of typos in the whole book. I would agree with a couple of reviewers that the female characters were a little confusing in the first instance. However, the action was non-stop, very vivid & kept my interest right to the end. I found the book very engaging & I was with the main character, John, every step of the way, willing things to work out for him. A brilliant read & I look forward to more from David White.

Crackly Bones (Redux 2014)
Crackly Bones (Redux 2014)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for children!, 18 April 2011
This is really good, the illustrations are excellent & even though I don't usually go for 'poetry' this is a good story - great for kids & adults alike. I could see this being adapted for TV. Go ahead & buy it, you won't regret it. A great bargain.
I just love it!